When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655 question...

automatico

First, here is my '1655' with the outer track markers slightly inside the reflector (rehaut)...

IMG_0531.thumb.JPG.c50da483159a85531c7999d84def2e4c.JPG

Replica dial, hands, case, bracelet, and hoods with rolex 1575 and 'shortcut' GMT modification.

Second, here is a genuine 1655 currently on eBay with the markers spaced inside the reflector similar to mine...

image.thumb.png.eb530a1edefc74fc0a03beda2a0b11f1.png

eBay item number 265240566116

Here is another genuine watch with the markers spaced away from the reflector a little bit....

Rolex Explorer II 1655 for Sale | CHRONEXT

Here is one with the outside markers right up against the reflector like the vast majority of genuine examples...

Tropical Watch - 1984 Rolex Explorer 2 1655 with Mark 5 Dial

My question is...has anyone else noticed genuine 1655 watches with the markers spaced away from the reflector like mine and the two genuine examples?

I figured the markers being spaced away from the reflector (on mine) was a sure-fire way to tell my watch was not genuine at a glance (among other things of course). 

The dial is usually one of the first things that reveal the pedigree of a watch.  Hands for a 1655 are also a major 'tell' and it took me a long time to find the (replica) hands.

Evidently the spacing of the outer markers is not the same on all genuine 1655 watches.

Btw...my watch looks a little better than the picture (imho).  It is supposed to mimic a 1973 model so it has a folded oyster and 'dot' second hand, 'straight' second hands were mostly '71 and '72.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure I understand the question..

Below my BP with Vietnam dial and Vietnam bezel . Stock BP plexi , tiger hour and minute hand , stock BP second hand , tiger gmt hand modified by me with longered tip

The movement & dial are not perfectly aligned so there is a little gap below between indices and rehaut but if my watchsmith change the position of the dial feet I think will be perfect aligned without this gap

942d1732f380d6833f6469493a32f775.jpg

fe83a3b8cd5b670b180648d349b4c97e.jpg

Dan71:

"Not sure I understand the question."

amc:

"My question is...has anyone else noticed genuine 1655 watches with the markers spaced away from the reflector like mine and the two genuine examples?"

The dial on my 'shortcut 1655' has the outer row of markers spaced away from the edge of the case where the vast majority of genuine and replica 1655 have the outer row of markers right up against the edge of the case.  I always figured watches with the outer markers spaced away from the edge of the dial were replicas, re-dials, or some sort of 'service' dial.

Maybe not since I searched for a long time and finally found a few genuine examples with the outer markers spaced away from the dial, but there is no way to determine if the dial is original to the watch.

It is not important at all but like I said...I always figured markers spaced away from the case edge were not 100% original to a watch. 

Looks like the answer is...maybe, maybe not.

J3/amc

Who, Who, Who am I? - General Discussion - RWG

Jimmythree/automatico

So I have correct understand..

Are you sure that are gen the dial that have the space between indices and rehaut?

the pics of the 1655 you have show above have strange font and print

I’m not an expert…

but I checked many 1655 claimed genuine from reputable websites and seller for my build but never see one with this gap.

The most evident gap that I remember was visible on the old cartel 1655.

Someone claim genuine 1655 their watch but they have ridiculous aftermarket parts see this gmt hand on chrono24 !

https://chrono24.app/rolex/explorer-ii--id23893096.htm?SETLANG=it_IT&SETCURR=EUR

83c75b14c90b6b795eba31328a8d6ee8.jpg

"Are you sure that are gen the dial that have the space between indices and rehaut?"

There is no way to know for certain if some the dials with the space between the outer markers and edge of the case are genuine.  With replica/refinished dials being so good now, I guess it will remain a mystery.  I am not an expert of any sort, especially on dials but I can't help wondering about this 'major' differences in supposedly genuine vintage dials.  I understand there are always 'minor' differences but the space between the outer markers and case edge seems like a 'major' difference.  I guess part of the mystery is why the 'experts' ever mention it.  

The Vn dial on your watch above is very good and the space between the markers and case edge are because of the dial/movement being mounted to one side a tiny bit and I see this quite often on genuine and replica examples.

Here is where I looked at the genuine 1655 dials:

images of rolex explorer 1655 - Bing images

The images change over time but there is usually one with space between the markers and case edge (all the way around the dial) claimed to be genuine.  I looked at 50 or 60 tonight and did not see any with the space .

Next month there might be one.

"The most evident gap that I remember was visible on the old cartel 1655."

I still have a couple from 2005 or so and they both came in cases marked '1680' with new (at the time) swiss ETA 2836 with non-adjustable Asian 24H mod.

Here is a pic of one, still 'nos'...

image.thumb.jpeg.df79de6afba9acc0b0c7afd6dddf4f41.jpeg

Flatten the CG tips, scuff it up a bit, and it might 'wow the troops' at the Waffle House...after 2am. 

• Like 1

I Mean this old rep

f678cdcd92ee298a26ecd27e67c49478.jpg

If you have time check here on Hqmilton if you found a gen with this gap. Is a good source of info because they show many pics on different angle e with all the specs (year, mark etc)

https://hqmilton.com/search?q=1655

Sometime check the old advertising Rolex can help to see the original watch . Here two AD paper there is a gap but very very thin

9a48929bf4d1e896aa7fba66b571d0a2.jpg
0e51765a57e4d4e5a920c680fe3444c9.jpg

Macro below

14444280a31a672800baa0212d68f472.jpg