When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hello and goodbye

Admin

Hi all.

It is your long lost admin, just stopping by to tell you that it is time for me to say a final goodbye to the watch forums and to RWG.

Life has thrown me some pretty heavy curveballs for some time and I have been to hell and back several times over the last years. Returning here and seeing that Nanuq had passed away was also a shock! Not going to elaborate more than that, but all of this has for a long time left me with no other choice than to focus 100% on real life and only doing what was necessary to keep the forum updated, either when something broke and somebody reminded me to fix it or when I had the time and energy to pass by and update things.

These forums have been an important part of my life for so many years and I have had the pleasure of getting to know people all around the world, so writing this fills me with immense sadness. But there is a time and place for everything! It has been a pleasure being your admin and being a part of so many peoples lives.

Now, this also means that I will be putting RWG up for sale. One of those curveballs was a business partner who screwed me over and left me in some serious debt and hopefully somebody will see the potential in a forum with 75.000+ members and perhaps be able to renew the forum and monetize this properly.  If nobody is interested, the forum will most likely be closed.....

Sale post here: https://rwg.cc/topic/197710-rwg-is-for-sale/

If you feel like (and I only ask of those who can afford it) saying thanks for all the years I have kept the doors open to this home, a donation that can help me with some of my financial challenges will he highly appreciated; https://rwg.cc/clients/donations/2-so-long-and-thanks-for-all-the-fish/

If you prefer a private donation, you can use paypal and send funds to payment@frostbite.pro

• Sad 1

Just got the email.  Also, sad to hear about Nanuq(Bob) passing away.  I've been off here for years watching my son grow.  It's crazy to think that when I joined the rwg community back in 04, my son was an infant, and now he's graduating high school in 2 weeks.  For all the younger members who may be reading this.  Remember, enjoy life because it flies by quick.

It was a pleasure skyping with you many, years back T.  Same With Ken.  Take care and enjoy it while you're here.

Please accept my donation as a thank you for providing this forum back when I needed it.  :thumbs:

• Like 2

Thank you for all you have done. RWG changed my life and gave me an out that I desperately needed.

Much like you I had many curveballs thrown my way and I dove face first into the watch world. It was something I needed to take my mind away from all the rigors of reality.

From chasing TC’s submariner to building my first explorer with Justin’s (JMB) amazing cases it has been a pleasure learning and reading everything I could find on your forum. God speed and keep your boots on. 

• Like 1

Thanks for keeping the lights on!  

Out of curiosity is there a timeframe you have in mind?  A week, a month, 6 months? -if no one comes forward, before lights out?

Also, is there a physical server involved or is this running in the cloud (AWS?). 

Edit to add:  if it looks like lights out, I am curious if there is a way to archive/memorialize some of the key pinned content?  Plan B: RWG Archive project anyone???

• Like 1

T

A big thanks from me for keeping the place going.  So much knowledge gained (and forgotten) here over the years.  It was a nice distraction for me to get away from the rat race of life.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ronin said:

Thanks for keeping the lights on!  

Out of curiosity is there a timeframe you have in mind?  A week, a month, 6 months? -if no one comes forward, before lights out?

Also, is there a physical server involved or is this running in the cloud (AWS?). 

Edit to add:  if it looks like lights out, I am curious if there is a way to archive/memorialize some of the key pinned content?  Plan B: RWG Archive project anyone???

Hopefully, the lights will be on, no matter what happens. We'll see what happens 😉

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 9:23 PM, Admin said:

Hi all.

It is your long lost admin, just stopping by to tell you that it is time for me to say a final goodbye to the watch forums and to RWG.

Life has thrown me some pretty heavy curveballs for some time and I have been to hell and back several times over the last years. Returning here and seeing that Nanuq had passed away was also a shock! Not going to elaborate more than that, but all of this has for a long time left me with no other choice than to focus 100% on real life and only doing what was necessary to keep the forum updated, either when something broke and somebody reminded me to fix it or when I had the time and energy to pass by and update things.

These forums have been an important part of my life for so many years and I have had the pleasure of getting to know people all around the world, so writing this fills me with immense sadness. But there is a time and place for everything! It has been a pleasure being your admin and being a part of so many peoples lives.

Now, this also means that I will be putting RWG up for sale. One of those curveballs was a business partner who screwed me over and left me in some serious debt and hopefully somebody will see the potential in a forum with 75.000+ members and perhaps be able to renew the forum and monetize this properly.  If nobody is interested, the forum will most likely be closed.....

Sale post here: https://rwg.cc/topic/197710-rwg-is-for-sale/

If you feel like (and I only ask of those who can afford it) saying thanks for all the years I have kept the doors open to this home, a donation that can help me with some of my financial challenges will he highly appreciated; https://rwg.cc/clients/donations/2-so-long-and-thanks-for-all-the-fish/

If you prefer a private donation, you can use paypal and send funds to payment@frostbite.pro

Thank you for everything all these years. 

I'm gutted that you're facing challenges, hopefully those are short-lived and better news around the corner.

• Like 2

Admin - 2022 continues to be a year of unpleasantries all around. Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experiences, but you are certainly not alone in those. I wish you much success with your future endeavors. RWG has certainly been a bright spot for many of our lives. Thank you (& Bob) for that.

• Like 3

Thanks T for all the years!  It was fun getting this place set up and going, I've been away for a while, but this place was never forgotten by me and so many others.  Your efforts were a great success and I wish you all the best in life and hopefully things get back on track for you and maybe you'll stop by here again and see what's going on.  Take care and well wishes, cheers!

• Like 1

My sincerest thanks T. I think we can all appreciate what you are going through, but just know you have brought myself, and countless others, many years of enjoyment.

Happy travels my friend, and let’s hope our paths cross again at some point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I dont do change and loss very well, so...

good luck in your endeavours☺️

and just reading this thread now, i find out abut Nanuq?

He was a classy gentleman who helped me out a couple of times and gave me wise advice and direction. If only I could have met him in person. RIP

On 5/23/2022 at 3:36 PM, jraines87 said:

Just got the email.  Also, sad to hear about Nanuq(Bob) passing away.  I've been off here for years watching my son grow.  It's crazy to think that when I joined the rwg community back in 04, my son was an infant, and now he's graduating high school in 2 weeks.  For all the younger members who may be reading this.  Remember, enjoy life because it flies by quick.

It was a pleasure skyping with you many, years back T.  Same With Ken.  Take care and enjoy it while you're here.

Please accept my donation as a thank you for providing this forum back when I needed it.  :thumbs:

This is terrible news Bob (Nanuq) was such a great individual. He cared and shared. He loved Alaska, his Land Rover and his family more than watches. He made som great posts in the old day like the one about the TRL and the one where he flame torched a ROLEX (Bob's Thermal test No.1 is pictured below). I will allways remember you Bob.

thermal_test1.jpg

Edited by DrGran
  • Like 4