When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hublot MDM 1801.1 movement unrepairable

Merlot55

Question

2 answers to this question

You left out some important details:

1...Is the watch genuine or a replica?

2...Is it a true chronograph or a time/date setup with a chinaclone 2892?  Some replicas are made this way. 

3...If it is a replica, does it have an ETA 2892/94 for sure or an Asian or swiss 7750?  Some have modified S/A 7750.

Very few replicas used a swiss ETA 2894-2 with a DD chrono module.   

New 2894-2 will sell for $500 to $1000 now from supply houses depending on grade and their markup.

To answer your question...yes, a genuine 2892/94 rotor should work on any standard genuine ETA 2892/94.  If the movement is a replica, a genuine rotor might or might not work.  I never tried it.

Catch 22...You may need a special tool to r/r the rotor, maybe not.

How does one remove the rotor on an ETA 2892? - Watch Repair & Upgrade - RWG

Rotor Removal - Watch Repairs Help & Advice - Watch Repair Talk

1801 info:

Genuine...Hublot Big Bang In-depth Review (timeandtidewatches.com)

Replica...Review of 1:1 Replica Hublot Big Bang 301.CX.130.RX Stainless Steel Watch with Clone HUB4100 Movement – Join Best Replica Watches Club (ijoinwatches.com)

J3/Amc

Thanks Jimmythree

The watch is genuine, but I have not used for 20 years and I just started wearing it again. A quick dip in a swimming pool and that was the end of it. 

I see that it is worth around $3K but I would not rush out and buy one, hence the idea with the cheaper repair. To get hold of an original Hublot branded movement would be $1,000 plus, but an unbranded ETA movement is $300. Also the rubber strap has gone a bit hard and I see cracks appearing which means that it is coming to the end of it's life as well. That is why I would swap the rotor and no one would be any wiser, not that I am planning to sell the watch.