When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer 1016 source

alterego

Hi guys. I've been rather shy about buying more watches lately. But, I had a gen 1016 that I sold years ago and I haven't regreted enough about my stupid mistake. Todayu I cannot even dream about getting one  one.  So, I'm looking for a trusted source (dealer) that may still have a good replica of the this venerable icon in Rolex history.

Pleaase, let me know where to look for my elusive explorer.

Thank you much for reading my message and hope for some advice.

"There are no out of the box 1016 or any decent vintage Rolex. Your best bet is get a modder to build one or build one yourself."

Good advice!

After sticking a few together, here are a few things to look for if you decide to chase the parts down and put one together:

1...Decide on the movement first.  Try to go with an ETA that has a beat rate close to a 1016.  ETA 2846,2879 etc are 21600 and they are fine for these projects.  Rlx imvts are18000 for older models and 19800 for later 15xx mvts.

2...Look for a thin case but one that has enough metal on the lugs to drill the spring bar holes out to 1.25/1.3mm without the holes being too close to an edge. 

3...Make sure the case will accept the movement you decide on.  Day-date ETAs are thicker and you can get in a mess with them in a case made for thinner ETA date movements .

4...Make sure the case will work with the dial you choose.  Some cases are not oem spec for dial OD but most of the better aftmkt dials are oem spec.

5...A standard DJ bezel will not work with an oem spec 25-22 1016 crystal because the crystal sidewall is thicker.  You need a 1016 spec bezel.

Figure on a lot of details cropping up:

Many newer cases have a 5.3mm case tube and a modern 6.0mm crown.  Make sure you get a matched set, especially if you go with genuine part$.

You will probably need a movement spacer.  Figure on using case clamps and screws.

No plastic spacers if you can help it.  Etc, etc.

Here is a super nice 1016 project:

SOLD - 1972 Rolex 1016 Explorer - Watches - RWG

Crown Info... - The Rolex Area - RWG
I posted about putting an ETA 2824/2846 'combo' movement together a while back for my '1016' but did not save the link to it.  I used a JMB case but needed a slower beat 2824 type movement. 

J3/Amc

Thank you Phil and Jim. What a wealth of information that I got from you.  I thjinlk  I'm not prepared for building such a watch. Specially when it's so easy to ruin the project because of lack of experience in this respecdt.   I'm going to look in the fourums you mention, hoping to run into one for sale or hopefully  have one built by a modder. 

Great advice above!

Have you tried sending JMB a message!  He has modified some wonderful cases to fit these eta explorer dials!  My last projection 2017 was a case I purchased from him and a dial from raffles!  Came out pretty good! I am sure you will achieve  something that will give you satisfaction!  The trend now is these popular ceramic tuna can style subs and the 39mm explorer, so it looks like the odds are in your favour!  Good luck!

I don't think JMB is doing the Explorer cases anymore. But rafflesdials.com has cases for $49.99 and dials for $34.99. The cases may have a sapphire/mineral crystal but I don't know if people would notice. You can also get hands, and a bracelet from rafflesdials. A Miyota 8215 movement for $30-40 and I would think you could build a 1016 for around $200 or so. 

On 6/17/2022 at 12:45 AM, alterego said:

Hi guys. I've been rather shy about buying more watches lately. But, I had a gen 1016 that I sold years ago and I haven't regreted enough about my stupid mistake. Todayu I cannot even dream about getting one  one.  So, I'm looking for a trusted source (dealer) that may still have a good replica of the this venerable icon in Rolex history.

Pleaase, let me know where to look for my elusive explorer.

Thank you much for reading my message and hope for some advice.

don’t despair as I recently built one for a friend of the family but he wanted it with a sapphire crystal!     I was going to use a Perspex crystal, but I then considered that hardly anyone would really notice and most people would not even know what a Rolex is even if they have heard or know about the name!  He wanted a genuine eta2824 which  I bought sealed in the packet!  It was a very straight forward assemble and came out to be quite a quality piece!  It even passed water resistance to some 30m! Can’t justify spending 30x-40x the price for what they go for, when the next available substitute is quite good!

I built one using raffles parts including the bracelet and at the time got one from eBay with drilled lug holes from eBay!  Check this one out!  

eBay item number: 353520740302

Raffles has nice dials which would complement the above case and also a bracelet with logo!  It would not be a difficult build if the sapphire crystal doesn’t bother you!  Think about it!  

On 6/19/2022 at 9:01 PM, horologist said:

don’t despair as I recently built one for a friend of the family but he wanted it with a sapphire crystal!     I was going to use a Perspex crystal, but I then considered that hardly anyone would really notice and most people would not even know what a Rolex is even if they have heard or know about the name!  He wanted a genuine eta2824 which  I bought sealed in the packet!  It was a very straight forward assemble and came out to be quite a quality piece!  It even passed water resistance to some 30m! Can’t justify spending 30x-40x the price for what they go for, when the next available substitute is quite good!

I built one using raffles parts including the bracelet and at the time got one from eBay with drilled lug holes from eBay!  Check this one out!  

eBay item number: 353520740302

Raffles has nice dials which would complement the above case and also a bracelet with logo!  It would not be a difficult build if the sapphire crystal doesn’t bother you!  Think about it!  

I think OP is seeking something more like the project Jimmythree has posted!  That is another subject altogether with far more challenges!  Yet if someone doesn’t mind how accurate the build is, I do like your suggestion too as these are getting harder to find!  

Finding a watch case with a plastic crystal is going to be a challenge. I didn't see anything on eBay. 

It looks like Rubyswatch.com has them

Products | Ruby Watches (rubyswatch.com)

But I would figure around $600 for a case. Yuk!

I didn't look at Ruby's dials- I'd allow $350-400 though just as a guess.

Gone are the days when you could build a rep for a decent price.

Back in the day- maybe around 2009 I built a 1016:

Case- DJ 1601 from Andrew Shear- $132

Dial from LHOOQ- $125- this was a gift in that it was relumed in a vintage relume

2824-2- Swiss NOS- $80

hands from Clark's- say $15 good lume also

crown- 24-6000- $35

crystal from Clark's $20

JMB smooth bezel $50- you can't beat that anymore since Justin has retired

Mary's bracelet- $55

Watchmaker to put the parts together- $50

So, I spent a little over $600. 

Watch is WR- at least in the pool.

Oh, I used the Clark's DJ springbars, because I wasn't going to drill the DJ lugs to Explorer spec- too close for comfort. But the DJ pins fill the lugholes nicely.

I'd figure the big question is can you fit a plastic crystal to a rafflesdials.com explorer case? I'd think it can be done with a little bit of work. And a few plastic crystals!

"I'd figure the big question is can you fit a plastic crystal to a rafflesdials.com explorer case? I'd think it can be done with a little bit of work. And a few plastic crystals!"

Case necks on 16xx, 16xxx, 162xx DJ and 1016 are 29.5mm OD.

Bezels for 16xx, 16xxx, 162xx are 30.4mm ID.

Bezels for 1016 are 31.0 ID.

Dials for 1016 are 27.9mm OD, same as 36mm QS DJ.

So...a case with a 29.5mm case neck and dial seat that will accept a 27.9mm dial should work for a 1016 project.

No guarantees and I'll check a few cases tomorrow and make changes if there are mistakes.  :pimp:

J3/Amc