Jump to content

Replacement movement for 1998 quartz seamaster?


Recommended Posts

My 1998 quartz Seamaster needs a new movement? Other than Omega are there any others available?

 

Had the battery replaced by Timpson's in UK, it was 'clunking' showing low battery, they returned it DEAD!

 

Even paid £350 (?) to have it 'serviced' they then quoted £1000+ to repair the watch I bought new for $1000

 

Would appreciate any advice, as I'd like to keep wearing it?

Omega Seamaster.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ppmjones said:

My 1998 quartz Seamaster needs a new movement? Other than Omega are there any others available?

 

Had the battery replaced by Timpson's in UK, it was 'clunking' showing low battery, they returned it DEAD!

 

Even paid £350 (?) to have it 'serviced' they then quoted £1000+ to repair the watch I bought new for $1000

 

Would appreciate any advice, as I'd like to keep wearing it?

Omega Seamaster.jpg


Firstly, it would have been nice for you to introduce yourself as a new member!  

This site is predominantly for those with an interest  in the replica world of timepieces, but that isn’t to say that we do not discuss genuine timepieces either (as replicas are  based upon them)!  We welcome without discrimination!
 

Do you have a model number for this omega model as it appears to be the 41mm omega reference 2541.80 according to your description date?   If this is correct???? , the this uses the omega caliber 1538 which is based on the eta 255.461!  I remember replacing one recently for a work colleague! It was the same model used in the Bond movie “Golden Eye”. They would sell online new for Approx 200 American dollars all depending on what part of the planet you reside!  If you are savvy with  basic watch repairs, you may do. It yourself and save heaps!!

 

Good luck and BTW Welcome to this wonderful fraternity of watch lovers! 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum!

Stick around, don't just 'hit and run'.  :prop:

 

I had an Omega 'Pre SMP' back in the 1990s with an Omega 1438 aka ETA 255.461 that would stop now and then so I put a regular ETA 255.xxx in it.  Can't remember the last 3 digits but the only functional difference was the replacement had a conventional date setting method where the date in the 1438 flipped over by moving the hour hand.

 

Do not know the difference between an Omega 1538 and 1438 but the 1438 is a 10 1/2 ligne (23.3 mm) movement and all the other ETA 255.xxx I have listed in a catalog (255.421,  255.462,  255.465,  255.495) are also 10 1/2 ligne size.  1L = 2.12mm.

They all are at or above $100 and the 255.462 is $125.  My catalog is from November 2020 so the prices have probably changed since then.

Btw, there are two used 1538 on eBay...one for $295 and one for $478. (!!!)      

 

Good luck!

 

From:  Omega caliber 1438 » WatchBase

 

Brand: Omega
Reference: 1538
Base: ETA 255.461
Movement: Quartz
Display: Analog
Diameter: 23.30
Jewels: 6
Reserve: 26280
Date: Date
Hands: Hours, Minutes, Seconds
Additionals:

Chronometer

 

 

Omega caliber 1438

Brand: Omega
Reference: 1438
Base: ETA 255.461
Movement: Quartz
Display: Analog
Diameter: 23.30
Jewels: 6
Reserve: 26280
Date: Date
Hands: Hours, Minutes, Seconds
Additionals:

Chronometer

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Timelord said:


Firstly, it would have been nice for you to introduce yourself as a new member!  

This site is predominantly for those with an interest  in the replica world of timepieces, but that isn’t to say that we do not discuss genuine timepieces either (as replicas are  based upon them)!  We welcome without discrimination!
 

Do you have a model number for this omega model as it appears to be the 41mm omega reference 2541.80 according to your description date?   If this is correct???? , the this uses the omega caliber 1538 which is based on the eta 255.461!  I remember replacing one recently for a work colleague! It was the same model used in the Bond movie “Golden Eye”. They would sell online new for Approx 200 American dollars all depending on what part of the planet you reside!  If you are savvy with  basic watch repairs, you may do. It yourself and save heaps!!

 

Good luck and BTW Welcome to this wonderful fraternity of watch lovers! 

Sorry, just searched for 'replacement Omega movement' and found rwg, thought it was a 'supplier'?

 

Actually have a Rolex copy, based on a self winding Seiko movement, but simply wanted to be able to wear my Omega? 

 

Also have a 48 year's old mechanical Omega Genevie, which was my 21st present from my parents!

 

Thankfully Jimmythree has posted, what appears to be, a link to the movement I need?

11 hours ago, Jimmythree said:

Welcome to the forum!

Stick around, don't just 'hit and run'.  :prop:

 

I had an Omega 'Pre SMP' back in the 1990s with an Omega 1438 aka ETA 255.461 that would stop now and then so I put a regular ETA 255.xxx in it.  Can't remember the last 3 digits but the only functional difference was the replacement had a conventional date setting method where the date in the 1438 flipped over by moving the hour hand.

 

Do not know the difference between an Omega 1538 and 1438 but the 1438 is a 10 1/2 ligne (23.3 mm) movement and all the other ETA 255.xxx I have listed in a catalog (255.421,  255.462,  255.465,  255.495) are also 10 1/2 ligne size.  1L = 2.12mm.

They all are at or above $100 and the 255.462 is $125.  My catalog is from November 2020 so the prices have probably changed since then.

Btw, there are two used 1538 on eBay...one for $295 and one for $478. (!!!)      

 

Good luck!

 

From:  Omega caliber 1438 » WatchBase

 

Brand: Omega
Reference: 1538
Base: ETA 255.461
Movement: Quartz
Display: Analog
Diameter: 23.30
Jewels: 6
Reserve: 26280
Date: Date
Hands: Hours, Minutes, Seconds
Additionals:

Chronometer

 

 

Omega caliber 1438

Brand: Omega
Reference: 1438
Base: ETA 255.461
Movement: Quartz
Display: Analog
Diameter: 23.30
Jewels: 6
Reserve: 26280
Date: Date
Hands: Hours, Minutes, Seconds
Additionals:

Chronometer

 

 

Thanks Jimmythree,

 

For your link to WatchBase 

 

The 1438 appears to be the one!

 

Just where to buy one?

 

Regards

 

Peter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Just where to buy one?"

 

Since Omega has stopped selling all but a few parts to 'unauthorized' repair shops and parts supply houses, movements are very hard to find and high $$.  For this reason, I would consider a regular ETA 255.xxx as long as it fits Ok in the case.  The hands will fit but I do not remember if there were any issues with the new movement being too thin or anything else.

Since the watch is 20+ years old and not a collector item the different movement will not hurt the value very much.

 

As far as that goes, an ETA 955.xxx might also work and they are a lot less $$.  Just be sure to get one the same size and date offset as the original movement because 955.xxx movements come in 10 1/2L and 11 1/2 L sizes.  The ETA/Omega 1438 is 2.5mm thick same as an ETA 955.xxx and a regular ETA 255.xxx shows to be 2.45mm thick.  Not enough difference to matter. 

There are quite a few parts supply houses listed on the internet that will have new ETA movements...Cousins in the UK for instance.

 

"Even paid £350 (?) to have it 'serviced' they then quoted £1000+ to repair the watch I bought new for $1000."

 

They sound like a gang of crooks.  I've 'serviced' quite a few ETA 255. and 955. movements and the only hard thing about it is lining the step motor pivots up in the plates because of magnetic attraction.

Many/most repair shops today have so much overhead that they have to 'steal' $$ from customers to survive.  That is their problem, not yours.   

Imho the motto of most of today's watch repair shops should be 'Rob 'em and Rape 'em with a Smile.'  Ha!

 

What you need is someone who can do the work at a reasonable price and does not try to make a month's pay out of a two or three hour job. 

Other than finding an original Omega movement, the movement swap is very easy.  Maybe ask friends, family etc. if they know a retired watch repair guy who still does repair work at home. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it is a 1430 quartz movement, you are after and are in the UK , then you may be in luck with this refurbished one listed here

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393789549572?hash=item5bafafac04:g:Tk4AAOSw68Nhtxbh

 

I was unaware that so many variations of this eta 955.461 existed as I thought that the number was was identifies the movement such as eta 2824-2 is universally a 2824-2 with the date at 6 being the only variation!
 

I learn something new every day!

 

Do it yourself if you can otherwise at todays rates you may soon need to mortgage your house even to call a plumber to unblock your toilet!   LOL!! 

Otherwise send seller a pm & ask if he has anything else as they  do not normally list everything! The only other place in the uk would be May Moorhead , northern watch and clock supplies in hillsborough Down?  Found parts for a FHF movement there !Good luck!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2022 at 12:13 PM, horologist said:

If it is a 1430 quartz movement, you are after and are in the UK , then you may be in luck with this refurbished one listed here

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393789549572?hash=item5bafafac04:g:Tk4AAOSw68Nhtxbh

 

I was unaware that so many variations of this eta 955.461 existed as I thought that the number was was identifies the movement such as eta 2824-2 is universally a 2824-2 with the date at 6 being the only variation!
 

I learn something new every day!

 

Do it yourself if you can otherwise at todays rates you may soon need to mortgage your house even to call a plumber to unblock your toilet!   LOL!! 

Otherwise send seller a pm & ask if he has anything else as they  do not normally list everything! The only other place in the uk would be May Moorhead , northern watch and clock supplies in hillsborough Down?  Found parts for a FHF movement there !Good luck!

Many thanks for your help and interest

 

My Omega has 1538 movement, sorry difficult to photo, don't understand eta?

 

Would be happy to have any movement which works? Certainly no interest in value or selling it? Have sent a message to May?

 

Regards

 

Peter

20220625_111350.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/22/2022 at 3:19 PM, Jimmythree said:

"Just where to buy one?"

 

Since Omega has stopped selling all but a few parts to 'unauthorized' repair shops and parts supply houses, movements are very hard to find and high $$.  For this reason, I would consider a regular ETA 255.xxx as long as it fits Ok in the case.  The hands will fit but I do not remember if there were any issues with the new movement being too thin or anything else.

Since the watch is 20+ years old and not a collector item the different movement will not hurt the value very much.

 

As far as that goes, an ETA 955.xxx might also work and they are a lot less $$.  Just be sure to get one the same size and date offset as the original movement because 955.xxx movements come in 10 1/2L and 11 1/2 L sizes.  The ETA/Omega 1438 is 2.5mm thick same as an ETA 955.xxx and a regular ETA 255.xxx shows to be 2.45mm thick.  Not enough difference to matter. 

There are quite a few parts supply houses listed on the internet that will have new ETA movements...Cousins in the UK for instance.

 

"Even paid £350 (?) to have it 'serviced' they then quoted £1000+ to repair the watch I bought new for $1000."

 

They sound like a gang of crooks.  I've 'serviced' quite a few ETA 255. and 955. movements and the only hard thing about it is lining the step motor pivots up in the plates because of magnetic attraction.

Many/most repair shops today have so much overhead that they have to 'steal' $$ from customers to survive.  That is their problem, not yours.   

Imho the motto of most of today's watch repair shops should be 'Rob 'em and Rape 'em with a Smile.'  Ha!

 

What you need is someone who can do the work at a reasonable price and does not try to make a month's pay out of a two or three hour job. 

Other than finding an original Omega movement, the movement swap is very easy.  Maybe ask friends, family etc. if they know a retired watch repair guy who still does repair work at home. 

Many thanks for your help and concern.

My Omega has a 1538 movement, would like a compatible to replace it?

Have registered with Cousins (Thanks!) but do not understand eta?

 

Reggards

 

Peter

20220625_111350.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...