When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cleaning parts lubricated with molykote DX?

Timelord

Was searching through some of the old posts on cleaning and oils, which ended up across this interesting one from last year 

It mentions  that Molykote DX is recommended as a cheaper alternative to the blue high friction grease (9501 ) which I also noticed in  the official eta oiling charts on other components as well!  My understanding from the molykote information sheet is that it is similar to the lithium grease!  I know watchmakers do not like either lithium grease nor molykote DX as it is most likely difficult to clean properly!

I am just confused that if this is the case, how do parts which are lubricated with either molykote DX or lithium grease properly cleaned?  
anyone had any issues?
seems like an anomaly!  

Dow Mk is nothing out of the ordinary as far as modern lubricants go and Lithium grease has been around for many years.  Always wondered how it ended up in watches.

Anyway...if someone is worried about it contaminating cleaning/rinsing solutions, maybe clean/rinse the parts with Mk in separate, smaller batches of cleaner/rinse.

I use Moebius 9415 on pallet jewels and it seems to work Ok.

" I was talking to a watchmaker some months ago and mentioned to me that he used two Seiko oils in All of his work and was able to give a longer warranty to his customers because of what he used!"

This was the rule before the internet made everyone crazy when it comes to watch oil and grease types.  Two different grades of oil (fine and thick) plus mainspring grease and setting parts grease...that used to be all there was.  Two of the best oils back in the 1940s/1950s were used by Elgin and Hamilton watch companies.  Hamilton made their oil on site in what was then the smallest oil refinery in the world and Elgin may have made theirs too, don't know.  Many purist types still use the old Elgin oil and it still works fine after many years.

Here is an empty Elgin bottle, instructions, and box set on eBay...

Vintage ca.1950's Elgin Watch Oil Bottle, Original Box, Enclosed Paperwork. | eBay

It sometimes came in a fancy bottle...

Vintage ELGIN WATCH OIL BOTTLE | eBay

Here is a Hamilton PML 79 oil set...

Hamilton PML 79 Oil With Oiler-With Box-"Made Especially for Men's Watches" | eBay

Imho there is a LOT of BS about watch oil.  Over 20 years ago just for grins, I c/o an old rolex with a 1570 and used Mobil 1 on the train wheel pivots/escapement, a/w pivots etc, Gal-Gard Engine Gard (molybdenum disulfide oil additive) on the MS and barrel wall, red Kawasaki Jet Ski grease on the setting parts, and K-44 silicone lube on the gaskets.  It ran just fine for years and showed no signs of wear anywhere.

We used the Kal-Guard additive in the oil on 1980s hot rod 4 valve Suzuki GS 1100 motorcycles to keep the camshafts from galling.  It made the oil black as tar but it worked.

Kal-Gard

DuPont Molykote DX  Part number 404532050 

About this item:

• For long-term lubrication of metal parts and for assemblies.
  • For precision mechanical systems.
  • For watch movements and other chronograph/horology systems.
  • Resistance to water wash-out. Good corrosion protection.
  • Prevents stick-slip and seizure. Excellent protection against galling.

MOLYKOTE DX- Greasy paste normally used for setting systems and other high friction areas. Lots of brands for a LONG period of time have used Molykote for their setting systems because of reliability. Molykote wasn't even originally designed for watchmaking use!

Brands such as Breitling and Rolex have since rejected and discontinued using Molykote. As of the late, the reasoning is because it contaminates the cleaning solutions. 

Molykote DX paste is a mineral / lithium based white grease suited for long-term lubrication for metal parts and assemblies. Recommended by ETA for lubrication of movement calibers 251.262, 251.272, etc. This grease has been said to be similar to the popular Moebius D5 but with a less fluid viscosity. Molykote DX paste was originally designed for Sliding surfaces and friction contacts exposed to heavy loads, requiring "clean" lubrication, especially at low to medium speeds. Used successfully, for example, on many friction contacts of electrical and domestic appliances, packaging and office machinery, precision instruments, machinery in foodstuffs and beverages industry, as well as in textile and plastic processing machinery. But its versatile properties have proven to work well on many types of watches including certain applications in mechanical chronograph systems and the aforementioned ETA calibers. Made in Germany.

Molykote DX Paste Grease for Watch Movements ETA Calibers and Chronograph Applications (esslinger.com)

The Art of Oiling in Watchmaking - Lubrication 101 — NO BS WATCHMAKER

Wow!!!!!

I am lost for words for all the work you  put into this response for me and for possibly even countless others all over the globe ,wondering about the same thing!  I feel very privileged to be here!   This is so Automatico style response!!  Don’t want to overlook any other valuable members here, this is so eloquent, detailed and helpful!  Can only say a big thank you 😊 !!