When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Really!

kernow

I was talking to a watchsmith friend of mine in his shop recently and a he told me a story of a young guy who’d been in at the weekend. 

Apparently, the guy brought a watch in which he’d inherited from his grandfather. He asked the watchsmith if he could remove and reset the hands as the date was changing at the wrong time. Not a problem, my friend took the watch and booked it in as he’s was busy there and then. It was only when he looked at it later did he realise that it was out by exactly 12 hours! He had to try and explain to his customer that he’d not removed the hands but just reset it to the correct time…… he didn’t charge him naturally lol. 

I imagine that his customer was a bit red faced. Not sure if it was true, but he told it like it was. 

It does not surprise me.

I sold a new in box Oris Big Date to a guy about 10 years ago after I sent good pics and an accurate description.  He even went to a retail store that had one and tried the same exact watch on before he bought mine.  A few days after he got the watch he called and said: "It is bigger than the one in the store, I want my $$ back."  I explained to him that it was the exact watch he tried on and wanted.  He went quiet...for a while.  

A few weeks after that, he called and said he wanted a refund because the battery was dead and a new watch should not have a dead battery in just a few weeks.

I asked:  "How much have you worn it?"  

He said:  "Every day until a few days ago."

I said:  "Forget it, no returns on used watches."

It was automatic.   :prop:

• Like 1

LOL!!!!!

Brings back memories back to some 20 years ago when a former neighbor ( who was also a doctor at one of our local hospitals) dropped by whilst  I was changing a battery on a watch.  He asked if I also knew how to replace a stem on them as he had a broken one on his new watch.  I agreed to help him out as a neighbor.

When I replaced it for him  (which was TAG HEUER eta automatic movement), he  was totally jubilant as it did not have to be sent away for 2 weeks and above all it was "FREE" which was no big thing for me!!! .  

A few days later his wife came over saying that that there was something wrong with the watch   😜.  She claimed that; 

(1) the date clicked over at mid day and not at midnight 

and 

(2) the watch had stopped exactly 2 days after he had put it away.

I guess you all know the process I had to go through to educate both of them and to save our neighorly relationship!!!!!.  It did end well to say the least 🤪

The best thing I learnt from all this was not just the lame ignorance that exists not only amongst our so called educated elites of society, but to avoid that exact hospital if I ever needed medical attention!!!  what you do not know doesn't hurt you and this was the perfect example!!!

(Anything that stopped my learning was my schooling "  Albert Einstein  )

• Like 1