When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noobmariner replica?

automatico

I was digging through some repjunk and found a new case and dial (I robbed the mvt years ago) with serial number F125967.  Anyone know anything about them?  It is very similar to a noob F520117 except it has a spring wire bezel iirc.

Looks like I have owned it for at least 11 years...

"Something else...there are a lot of 'noobs' and the F520117 is only one example. I have similar cases with D/F320840, F125967, F437091, P579998 (with lug holes), M550297, F432118." 

https://rwg.cc/topic/132869-new-bezel-for-noobmariner/?tab=comments#comment-975748

I may see if it is made for 2824 or 2836 in a day or two.  

I 'dewokked' an old D320840 case today to make a 'modern' beater.  It is turning out pretty good so far, stuck a 'nos' A21 in it, still looking for a few bracelet parts to finish it. 

I'll post a few pics when/if I get it done.

I always think of F520117 as the original noob. Later there was one- M092117, a second gen noob. After that I moved on to an MBW, WM9 and ST3035 because of the gen like construction. TC, JF and ARF(?) followed.

I think of the other SNs- like D320840 as cartel watches. One of the earliest of the cartel subs was R863698, also seen as Y863698. Sometimes these cartel cases would be used for other watches like the GMTs and YMs- the chinese would just swap out for the appropriate bezel insert. They could be made into decent reps by trimming the cgs, swapping out the bezel insert and maybe installing a gen crown and tube. 

I do have a Y863698 sub case that's in decent shape- trimmed cgs, decent insert. With a noob dial, some hands and a movement, I could build a budget/beater 16610, but I need another beater like a hole in the head.

"...I need another beater like a hole in the head."

Me too.  I stuck the D320840 together only because it has been apart since 2013 and I heard it crying...or was it me?  :wounded1:  Ha!

"I think of the other SNs- like D320840 as cartel watches."

I see them the same way.  The D320840 that I 'dewokked' is Ok for a sidetrack beater but it would not make it out on the Main Line...except the bracelet, it is pretty good.  It turned out Ok but I should have thinned the bez down a little bit before I stuck it on with epoxy, it sits a bit too high.  The bez is thick like oem, not aluminum foil like wear 'em in the dark beaters.

A few minutes later...I compared the D320840 bez insert height and crystal rise above it with a noob F520117 and they are about the same, so it's Ok for me.  Maybe I'll wear it in daylight.

I'll say one thing for the BSI (Bob Smith Industries) 'slow set' epoxy that I use on projects...it sticks!  That's why I left the bez insert as is before I compared it.

The F125967 case is a few notches above the D320840 type case, a 'semi-noob' maybe.  I'll put it in the 'noobmariner' box with a note.  Found a noob M092117 case in the noob box and it is identical to an F520117 case far as I can tell except for numbers etc. on the reflector/rehaut.

With the prices of 'bespoke' replica vintage cases going waaay up, maybe the 16610 will be the next 'affordable' vintage rolex.  If so, I'm all set.  More or less.

"...similar to a noob F520117 except it has a spring wire bezel" 

The F520117 also has a spring wire bezel.  How could I forget?  I r/r a few:

1...Remove movement/dial.

2...Press/push crystal out of the case from inside the case being careful of the coronet, some are printed (?) and are easy to damage.

3...Gently remove the bezel insert.  No easy way, just be careful not to bend it.

4...Chase the spring wire with a very thin narrow blade (3 or 4mm wide sliver of a razor blade etc) between the case neck and spring wire while gently lifting up on the robez beside the blade until the robez pops up on one side.  Then you can (usually) run the blade around slowly and get the robez off with no damage.  It is very easy to bend or damage the robez and if so, it may be hard to turn when installed.

5...To replace the robez (with the spring wire in the groove in the robez), start it on one side and chase the spring wire around the case neck with a blade while gently pushing down on the robez.

What da ell is a robez?   :confused:

Hint:

Almost every submariner has one (some fell off).

Google it.