When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Did My Homework, Have 1 Question

fishwine

I have searched for a dealer and I came up with Joshua. Here is my dilemma:

As I said beforeim another post... I have a 50th anniv. LV but my job dictates that I move around alot and It is very hard on my watches. I decided to get a REP so I didn't destroy the GEN. So I have found the one I want... but there are two, one is $200 more than the other: Is the following Value added worth the $200 more?

Value Added

Modifications : Watch Case, Crown Guards is modded to correct shape as genuine. Bracelet edges is modded smooth and whole bracelet is repolished to hariline low sheen finish.

Waterproofing : Additional seals are add on and watch is pressure tested to 5 bars... 50m waterproofing..

Movement is completely overhaul and re-assembled, serviced and re-lub with 5 different types of Swiss imported movement lubricant, Calibration to +5 secs per day.

Thanks for any opinion on this!

FishWine

Since you said you already have the exact model as a gen, id personally stick with the lower model. Key differences as you said includes an overhauled movement. If your gonna be banging it up a lot why spend a lot a money, espically if you have a gen of it already. If your going to really spend a lot of money on a rep like that, go for an MBW and start modding it up. It would look exactly (gen parts) like your other one and you wont feel that bad when you damage it one way or another.

Worse comes to worse, buy a couple of the cheap ones if your gonna be "destroying" watches during the work week ;)

you could also just look at an entirely different brand or model if you have a gen. in my experience your rep will just seem really poor against the genuine article unless you invest a serious amount of cash in modding it and even then it still wont be quite right.

getting a different rolex model or going to omega or something would avoid this quite nicely and give you a bit of variety too IMHO

Okay, I understand your point about a different rolex or maybe an omega. But here is the kicker...

What other rolex? I'm not really into the date just (have one , haven't worn it in 5 years) and I'm not sure about the monaco. As to the Omegas, I like the orange bezel POs. With what research I have done, the 4th generation PO is the way to go. Checking on andrew and joshuas sites... I only see the 4th generation PO in a 42mm. I definately have to have a 45mm. Can't seem to find one.

Also, on aside I have a reason to get the rolex as stated before. I feel like I'm cheating if I get the omega or a diff. rolex. Any arguements why a rep and not the Gen. Other than the obvious price difference. I'm really not trying to be watch snob but there is a whole other world when it comes to the Reps. and I'm just learning about it.

FishWine

I got my LV Sub rep from Paul (wo-mart) - the "so called perfect" sub and the only problem I've had is I lost the pearl last week - fixed with an aftermarket insert. It has an ETA movement and after I adjusted it it keeps to +1sec a day. Very accurate and pretty close (CGs could use some work and the crown is a little too big)

It also looks great on a NATO strap! (see sig)

If I'm going to tear up a watch, I certainly would prefer to be wearing the TTK's noobmariner, or the Josh beginmariner.

Paul's perfect sub, TWG's $188 or EL's sub are good if you want to tear up something w/ an ETA inside. I hate being caught w/ the

gens on when I find myself in the trenches, doing demo work or out in the yard sweating and gettin. Even when I'm scuba diving, I prefer to wear a $200 knock-off sub dive watch. There's just no point in tearing up a perfectly good Rolex, IMO.

Sorry... I meant to say Daytona not Monaco in my last post. It has been a long day. I fired my secretary the other day for a lack of self motivation, today I found about 12000$ missing do not know if it was not billed or stolen. So my mind is slightly on the overkill side.

Fishwine

Since you said you already have the exact model as a gen, id personally stick with the lower model. Key differences as you said includes an overhauled movement. If your gonna be banging it up a lot why spend a lot a money, espically if you have a gen of it already. If your going to really spend a lot of money on a rep like that, go for an MBW and start modding it up. It would look exactly (gen parts) like your other one and you wont feel that bad when you damage it one way or another.

Worse comes to worse, buy a couple of the cheap ones if your gonna be "destroying" watches during the work week ;)

Good advice, and great car--just got my 1st!

Joshua is certainly a good choice. He does have a 45.5mm PO just look at his website more carefully. I have one on the way as I type. I agree with the others if you want the same watch to wear daily the $188 sub is very nice, not worth spending more, you might as well pick out another watch for that money. If you're new to this hobby, you'll probably never buy a gen again.

Good luck