When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

le Coultre 46 Folding Alarm Clock User Manual

freddy333

Anyone know anything about this le Coultre Reference 46 folding alarm clock? Specifically, I'm trying to figure out how to operate the alarm or locate an owner's manual for same.

I just finished overhauling this clock and the alarm works (it goes off when I run the hands through a complete, 12-hour cycle), but I do not know how to enable/disable the alarm? The alarm stop (top button) works, as does the built-in alarm shut-off timer (it automatically stops the alarm after about 20 seconds), but I cannot figure out how to manually enable/disable the alarm?

The clock does not have an alarm switch or control of any kind, so I am thinking that the alarm may get enabled when you run the alarm setting disc (center of dial with painted black arrow) through a complete, 12-hour cycle. But this is just a guess & I would like to know for sure.

jlc46 1.jpg

jlc46 2.jpg

Anyone know anything about this le Coultre Reference 46 folding alarm clock? Specifically, I'm trying to figure out how to operate the alarm or locate an owner's manual for same.

I just finished overhauling this clock and the alarm works (it goes off when I run the hands through a complete, 12-hour cycle), but I do not know how to enable/disable the alarm? The alarm stop (top button) works, as does the built-in alarm shut-off timer (it automatically stops the alarm after about 20 seconds), but I cannot figure out how to manually enable/disable the alarm?

The clock does not have an alarm switch or control of any kind, so I am thinking that the alarm may get enabled when you run the alarm setting disc (center of dial with painted black arrow) through a complete, 12-hour cycle. But this is just a guess & I would like to know for sure.
1431817272_jlc461.thumb.jpg.6a8c617e084f928517c3d0238de46fc0.jpg
477110470_jlc462.thumb.jpg.d7b5061f57dc105c59dcf5e2a935a6ba.jpg
Which reference?
Maybe you find something here.
https://www.strictlyvintagewatches.com/jaeger-lecoultre-reference-11016-memovox-alarm-travel-clock

Gesendet von meinem 2107113SG mit Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Tribal said:

Hi Tribal. Good to see you again!

Reference 46.

Before posting here, I did alot of research via watch & clock forums & google. Unfortunately, I only found this page about the 46, but it does not contain what I need -- instructions on how to operate the alarm.

In fact, I found the article you posted above. But the clock in that page contains a JlC pocket watch movement (911). The movement in the 46 is a calibre 219, which is a clock movement. I have the JlC tech papers for the 219, but they are just a parts listing & provide nothing about the function of the clock itself. Ideally, I would like to track down either an owner's manual for the 46 or a JlC book that contains details about it.

Thanks for the help.

le Coultre 219.jpg

The 46 is 1 of a number of folding travel clocks Jaeger-le Coultre sold in the 1950s, most were covered in fine leather. Two years ago, Hodinkee produced a version of these clocks using a small number of the original movements in modern, leather cases. Because of the high price of the Hodinkee clock,it caused quite a ruckus when they released it.

If anyone is interested, you can read more about the Hodinkee clock here. Pricing aside, I think it is a pretty interesting story that anyone with an interest in mechanical timepieces would appreciate.

I do not know much about these clocks but my Dad carried one similar to it (darker dial color) through WW II in Patton's Third Army...Battle of the Bulge etc.

If I can find it, I'll post a pic of it.

The Memovox movements in the clocks were in reality wristwatch movements.  I had a couple yellow gold filled Memovox watches but sold them 20+ years ago.  A friend bought one for $150 about the same time assuming it was yellow gold filled but it turned out to have an 18K case.  It came with a steel case back so the alarm would make more noise.  

I have had this one for many years, an 8 day LeC alarm clock.  Had it c/o and a new balance staff in the late 1990s and it still runs fine.

image.thumb.jpeg.318425ce1656c18357efb513efa83363.jpeg

Edited 10-29-22...My Dad's Jaeger LeCoultre alarm clock from WW II...

image.thumb.jpeg.fad6c09195117eb032b813050a62e0bb.jpeg

Layout of the back...

image.thumb.jpeg.52e2c221d14e2ab2309a582ca5c66086.jpeg

The movement is slightly different. 

I wound it a couple turns and it still runs almost eighty years after WW II with no service.

image.thumb.jpeg.c55d37617bcabae528147c39c1fd4d32.jpeg

As an officer, the clock was issued to him along with his ACP .45 etc. 

It was originally painted 'OD' (olive drab) to lower reflections and the dial has radium lume.

I still have it all along with 8 or 10 German swords, a box of medals etc. he brought back in a 32" long X 22" high X 22" wide steel footlocker.

Included was a complete set of works, weights, pendulum etc. for a tall case German 'Grandfather' clock that was stored in our attic for 40+ years until one of our relatives made a walnut case for it. 

I have cleaned/oiled the clock two or three times and it still runs and keeps time within a few seconds per day.

image.thumb.jpeg.9f330d996b8f9131e2e2bad76c2888a7.jpeg

One of Dad's caps:

image.thumb.jpeg.7e45750523c1c808051c3fc54b42539d.jpeg

A WW2 German Luftwaffe 2nd Pattern Officers Dress Dagger from the swords etc. he brought back:

image.thumb.jpeg.cdd883a07067029225fbbc07ae9df1ce.jpeg

Also have the original scabbard with blue velvet backed brocade hanging straps that go with it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have not found my Dad's folding alarm but ran across these two while looking.

LeCoultre 8 day alarm, wide open...

image.thumb.jpeg.ebf58792be37af6af96c74d1a02a484c.jpeg

Case closed...

image.thumb.jpeg.03730c0ef0668649135795fad52d9a29.jpeg

Cyma Sonomatic...

image.thumb.jpeg.edf2825edca61335ed66c127969498fc.jpeg

On the back it says '15 jewels, lever, Swiss Made'.  Has cleaning dates 2-18-56 and 11-27-69. 

Back view, different clock but exactly the same model...

Image result for vintage cyma sonomatic alarm clock

Could not find the stand for mine.

And one Cyma wristwatch...

image.thumb.jpeg.2563eb0dd40821bca00cc8a5f51b0bdd.jpeg

Swiss made, ETA, stainless, sapphire, nos.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 9:04 PM, alt.watch.obsessive said:

Hi Freddy,

Do any of the controls/wheels on the back slide? That dome shaped one in particular looks kind of like the [censored] on a Futurematic.

If you are referring to the clock's caseback, the only part that slides is the triangular regulator cover, which is labeled "+ -" &, when slid open, reveals the regulator stem on the balance cock.

LaCoultre Clock 002.jpg