When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Please confirm fake

ziad.kassir

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 4:28 PM, ziad.kassir said:

My brother got this submariner as a rebate without papers, i was inspecting it i felt that something is not normal, i could be wrong but i think it is fake, can you please guys let me know your thoughts??Screenshot_20220928-170724_Gallery.jpg

Yeah it's fake. The end links and absence of "3D effect" on the hands are my initial tells. A member with patience might probaly find more tells.

It has to be opened up and inspect the mvmt.

I am more familiar with vintage Subs & it is difficult to tell based on this pic, but I think it is genuine. The tells are the sharp 90 degree drops from the center section of the endlink to either of the 2 side faces of the endlink (reps always round this angle) & the cyclops that appears to be properly anti-reflective coated (inside) which all but eliminates the reflections you see all over the crystal except in the date window. AR'ing a cyclops is a relatively expensive process for a rep & I have not seen any reps that came with an AR'd cyclops. Unless this has changed in the past 10 or so years, you would need to source a gen Rolex crystal (which comes with an AR'd cyclops) & swap the rep crystal for the gen to get that look. The gen crystal, if you can source 1, would likely cost as much or more than the rep watch.

But, to be sure, you would need to open the case & verify the calibre. A couple of good, clear macros of the movement, with the rotor 180 degrees apart would help.