When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone experience their watch not winding nor keeping power?

Timelord

Greetings fellow members.

Hope all is well at your end of the woods? 

I am pulling my last strands of hair out ( actually I have no hair left LOL!!) to figure out what is happening with my 2836-2 not keeping power or failing to wind after a few turns?

I recently serviced it and prior to this everything else was ok but only losing time to stop.  All seemed to be ok upon assembly ( all wheels spinning freely.,etc.etc), but somehow prior to assembling the automatic assembly, I try to manually wind the mechanism, but after a few turns of the winding crown, it slips and does not keep tension,

At first I thought it was the mainspring, so to eliminate this possibility, I pulled a complete mainspring with barrel out of an identical perfectly working mechanism  and had the same results.  So, ruled out the mainspring issue!!!

I then changed the ratchet wheel thinking that there was something worn with one of the teeth or maybe it was slipping in the square section where screw threads down, but again the same issue!!!

What next to try?   I then considered that there might have been an issue with the intermediate wheel of the train gears slipping.  Disassembled the motion works and checked it out and looked ok?  

Seems like it has a mind of its own.  Anyone ever had a similar experience, please chime in.  Welcome any comments (including insults🤥), as long as it helps me find some direction to a solution.  Easy option is to discard it but then I have learnt nothing!!!

Many thanks in advance!!!

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, freddy333 said:

Thanks!  I recall the topic in the link which is great asset to help restore these types of crowns!

I believe my problem is different as I have also tried different stem and crown combinations from genuine flawless eta movements! I have also tried to manually wind it with a screw driver by turning the screw above the barrel ratchet wheel with same result!   It is Tissot day date which has a good firm crown and stem!

I would never use a stem from a generic movement as it would not work! 

i thought  the slip was in the mainspring as I can feel the lack of tension there!  Mystery remains!

4 hours ago, Timelord said:

I believe my problem is different as I have also tried different stem and crown combinations from genuine flawless eta movements! I have also tried to manually wind it with a screw driver by turning the screw above the barrel ratchet wheel with same result!   It is Tissot day date which has a good firm crown and stem!

i thought  the slip was in the mainspring as I can feel the lack of tension there!  Mystery remains!

Then, unfortunately, you may have a broken mainspring or, in rare cases, a wheel with missing teeth (the mainspring winds until the broken gear/wheel hits the missing teeth & slips).
I cannot think of anything else that would cause the crown to feel like it is slipping when winding.

On 10/2/2022 at 3:30 PM, Timelord said:

I try to manually wind the mechanism, but after a few turns of the winding crown, it slips and does not keep tension,

At first I thought it was the mainspring, so to eliminate this possibility, I pulled a complete mainspring with barrel out of an identical perfectly working mechanism  and had the same results.  So, ruled out the mainspring issue!!!

That rules out a broken mainspring.  As Freddy333 has suggested to check the teeth on wheels of your gears of the trainwheels, which I believe you must have done from your comment  All seemed to be ok upon assembly ( all wheels spinning freely.,etc.etc). but  just make sure that all the teeth are fine in case you may have just overlooked one of the wheels..

My only other gut feeling from all this is possibly a worn jewel where the mainspring sits or where the great wheel sits ( or even both).

There is nothing worse than not having an answer so it is not about the movement,  but the satisfaction of getting a result.   Therefore, if you are disassembling another similar movement that does not have these problems it would be an nice learning experiment to interchange the bridges on both and try each wheel one at the time until you get the same result and this will certainly pin point the issue and give you a bullet proof answer.  For me this forum has been better than any technical school I have been to.

See how you go!!!  Good luck!!!