When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Dad’s 16610

JoJo35

I haven’t been here in a very long time. A little over ten years ago, I built my last rep project as a gift for my father. It has been such a long time since then, I can’t recall everything I did to this watch. I can remember it has a WM9 case, an ETA movement, Rolex dial, bezel and insert, tube, and crown. This was the last of my “builds”, actually put together by The Zigmeister.

Almost two years ago, while in the process of cleaning out my father’s home, deciding what gets thrown out, and what gets divided up between my sisters and I, I came across the watch. It appeared that my dad never wore it much, and it cleaned up easily.

Now I wear it pretty regularly, mostly in memory of my father, but also in memory of the time of learning here on RWG, and the friends I made here.

IEc3wRZ.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing your story and for keeping in touch!  I could relate to your experience about the watch and of your late dad!

Enjoy and wear that watch with pride!  I am sure it will also keep your fathers memory alive as it was special to him and now to you!  

These are not just material items but relics that tell history as well as time!

keep us posted from time to time when you have a spare moment!  

As others have already said " Wear it well and enjoy" 

In particular, a watch measures time where time measures and marks memories!!  The most appropriate tool for this purpose!!  Sadly, not a two way time machine!!!  

It is in particularly nice to hear from previously active members and to know they are well even if having moved on!!!  Thanks for keeping in touch and don't forget to drop us another line when possible!

oldtools, horologist, jcagara08, and timelord, thank you for your kind comments. I wasn’t sure what to write, I had the watch in my hand and was thinking of my father, remembering him and remembering being here a lot, and getting together with members here from around the globe more than once.

I took a nice picture of the watch and posted it, but afterwards I deleted it when I saw that someone had gone into my post without notifying me and altered something I said. I don’t think I broke any forum rules, and it certainly wasn’t appreciated. I probably would have deleted my entire thread at that point if I was able to.

However, it is nice to touch base with old friends. I’ll miss talking with Bob, he loved details as much as I do. 

Edited by JoJo35