When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quartz '5513' observations...

automatico

Re:

Rolex Wristies thread - Page 144 - The Rolex Area - RWG

Fourth post down.

After wearing the quartz '5513' for a while, I came to a few conclusions:

1...An old 5513 runs at 18000 beats per hour, the quartz '5513' runs at 14400 bph.  Not much difference and it is not obvious to most 'watch watchers' unless they zero in on it.

2...The vast majority of 'drive by' wristwatch observers think all rolex! watches have smooth sweep second hand motion like an Accutron.  Therefore, they think every old rolex! they see is fake.

3...A late model replica rolex! running at 28800 bph fools most of the observers if the watch looks pretty good.

4...What the rep-rep world needs is a quartz movement that runs at 18000 bph +/- and one that runs at 28800 bph +/- with the correct date font/offset and hand sizes. 

5...High beat sweep second hand quartz movements are a low cost reality. 

5A...Bulova Precisionist technology proves it.

5B...Three volt batteries make it viable.

If our hero (rolex) decided to make a New! Improved! top grade 'oysterquartz' movement with a high beat sweep second hand as an option on their popular models, they would have a big hit on their hands...and a hell-of-a-lot-less warranty claims. 

One problem comes to mind...they would need to figure out how to justify a $300 movement in a $10K stainless steel watch.

...but they have already done that.  Ha!

Imho.  :pimp:

On 10/26/2022 at 10:46 AM, automatico said:

If our hero (rolex) decided to make a New! Improved! top grade 'oysterquartz' movement with a high beat sweep second hand as an option on their popular models, they would have a big hit on their hands...and a hell-of-a-lot-less warranty claims. 

One problem comes to mind...they would need to figure out how to justify a $300 movement in a $10K stainless steel watch.

...but they have already done that.  Ha!

A few random thoughts --

Rolex's previous dalliance with quartz was a failure & they tend not to make the same mistake twice. So I cannot see them producing an OysterSub or similar in the future.

Having said that, considering the popularity (though now beginning to wane) of "smart" watches (1 reason for the recently empty AD shelves is because of the vast numbers of nouveau riche who're now turning off their computer watches & turning on to Rolex "investments"), I am surprised they never released an OysterSmart watch. (But I am glad they did not)

As far as your quartz Sub goes, if you swapped the rep dial/handset/crown for gens (a relatively simple, albeit costly, operation), I doubt anyone -- well, save for the most neurotic watch savant -- would even have cause to time the movement of the sweep seconds hand.

"if you swapped the rep dial/handset/crown for gens (a relatively simple, albeit costly, operation), I doubt anyone -- well, save for the most neurotic watch savant -- would even have cause to time the movement of the sweep seconds hand."

I didn't even notice it until I read up on the movement.  I was happy not needing to wear or wind it.

Ignorance is bliss.

When I hear the word 'oysterquartz' it conjures up images of high $$ dead coils, step motors, and circuit boards. 

I took three (3) in trade over the years and was lucky enough to get rid of them before they croaked.

I had less than $2250 in all three of mine added together...two tutone and one SS, all in fine cosmetic condition.  I traded a 14K quartz Concord dress watch on a strap even for the best tutone.

The guy I traded with had basically nothing in it after he took it in on trade for a high $$ gold watch.  I later traded the OQ for a 6694 and $600.  Still have the 6694...the $600 is long gone.

OQs are high priced hammer bait today.  :hammer:   Imho.

From "ROLEX FORUMS'

Complete overhaul $2,250.00
- Electronic module - x 1
- Motor module - x 1
Refinish Bracelet
Replace Clasp $185.00
- Clasp 16/100 17000b st - x 1
Refinish Case
Replace Crown $46.00
- Crown with gasket 604 st - x 1
Replace Crystal $133.40