When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rare!

automatico

How Rare?

So Rare that I only have three (3) of them.

Three what?

Three like this...

RARE GENTS 1947 ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL BUBBLE BACK VINTAGE ETA MOVEMNT, WITH BOX | eBay

Edit:  11-22-22

Someone might get/is going to get skinned.  8)

It is still up 11-19-22 for $1085USD at 1225PM EST with 32 bids.

Item # 204155178414  SOLD!  $1331.76!!!  38 bids on 11-20-22

Say what?

Here is one, you'll have to take my word on the other two because I don't want to dig them out.

image.thumb.jpeg.2e16680b0af57a091abeaa1126b1e1ef.jpeg

Mine has a genuine 530 crown instead of a replica BB type (I installed a new case tube and swapped the rep crown out)...

image.thumb.jpeg.a80a06bb133898d7b8c87a740da075ca.jpeg

Same reference number...

image.thumb.jpeg.c4771e4a7fc443f6ebf61160b06853ea.jpeg

Same serial number.  What are the chances of that?  Pretty good...all of mine have the same number.

image.thumb.jpeg.a645d10dc6e814d4c86ddce545cf2b7b.jpeg

They had rough ETA 27xx mvts in them when I bought the watches on Yahoo! auctions about 20 years ago.  I put a fresh c/o ETA 2782 in this one...

image.thumb.jpeg.96138f7f74f999a1cbfa5dda053e931f.jpeg

It is a good runner but it has been put up for so long it probably needs another c/o.

These guys spotted it too...

Is this what we've come to? - Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

Maybe one of them will contact eBay.

• Like 2

"So what's your theory on the same SN?"

Since all three of my 'BB' watches have the same reference and serial numbers, I would guess most or all of the replicas made by the same outfit that made mine will have the same numbers.  Probably/maybe.  I have seen a few replicas with engine turned bezels but do not know what the numbers were.

Afaik these watches are all about 20 years old and I have not seen any new watches like this offered for sale in a long time.  My other two are still nos from the same order as the one in my pics.

The truth is these cases are very well made and many probably ended up with fresh ETAs or as Frankensteins.  The dials on the examples I have seen have the SCOC blurb and originals usually have 'Officially Certified Chronometer', 'Chronometer', or no brag line at all on the dials.

All the BB cases I have seen had 'snap in' crystals and were not clamped on the case by a removable bezel like later models, mine included.  I had a nice genuine BB a while back needing some autowind parts and I traded it for a super fine Hamilton 992B and some other watch stuff.  The aw assemblies on these things are junk imho.

Back when BBs were Hot, I ran into one Frankenstein BB with a genuine case, dial, etc. and it had the original 'hubcap' over the back of the movement with a genuine BB rotor.  The catch was it had a Bulova automatic movement hidden under the hubcap with a looong winding rotor axle sticking through the hubcap with the BB rotor mounted on it.   It took a lot of time and botching skill for someone to do all of that.

It's a good story but I can't tell it because there is a famous/infamous watch guy involved and dumbo me got in the middle of it, trying to help.

• Like 2

"Do your other two have the same dial and hands as the one you pictured here?"

Yes, they are all alike except the other two have BB type crowns.

I'll see if I can find them later and post a pic.

"Ever consider parting with one?"

Not yet, the movements are pretty rough and do not run.

If I decide to sell one, I'll contact you.

"I took a look at what else he is selling and he has this one listed for 1900.00."

That thing is ugly as a mud fence.  

How do they get by with it?  No complaints probably.

I have enough watchjunk to stick a half dozen F-steins together but I would end up eating turnips three times a day in a Ukrainian jail if I tried to sell one on fleabay.  

Image result for Cartoon Image of A Jail Cell. Size: 130 x 100. Source: www.clipartbest.com

• Like 1

Family photo...

image.thumb.jpeg.54139e80ac18429c0fe4e5604d78b8cf.jpeg

The one on the left is in the earlier post.  The dials on the other two have a yellowish 'aged' tint.

'Super Oyster' crown...

image.thumb.jpeg.ce0ec04fef9d82fc1748a7c38a7abe47.jpeg

It does not look as bad as the close-up and is not a screw down type.  The watch posted previously has been worn a few weeks total, the last time in late 2012.  

The other two have not been worn at all.  I set aside two ETA 2789 to go in them, now needing c/o no doubt.

That depends on if I can find them, did not run across them when looking for the watches.   :animal_rooster:

• Like 1

They look sharp   I would be interested in either of the yellowish pieces. as is...I can swap in a new eta if you dont feel up to it  ...

yah I cant believe that that brutal explorer actually got bid up   there is no way  its gotta be rigged by other accounts to bump it...its not even close to even passable at ten feet. lol 

They are really nice R.

Mine has also the same case as yours but with screw down crown.

I tried a 2789 first but stem height is too much for a right alignment so I went for a 2824 with stem position 1mm lower.

Dial was replaced for a self made california and military hands adjusted.

I did replace them later for mercedes but had to find shorter minute hands not to go over the chapter ring.

will post updated work later.

best

M.

7B63D662-43A9-451B-A41F-A21AF32B3EAB.jpeg

• Like 1

And here it is with final mods (Legran 666ft sub hands, shorter minute).

Always thought size would turn it into a display watch but actually became a daily beater…

wish I could source more of these 5015 cases! :)

33FFFD29-6DE2-41BB-A6AF-12F928392BF7.jpeg

but 3mm difference in diameter can make a difference and wrist time is actually being divided with this one (sorry out of topic, but could not resist!):

FB39BDAA-2849-42CC-B9BE-BD04C3EA4FBD.jpeg

• Like 1

"Mine has also the same case as yours but with screw down crown."

Your watches are super nice!

I really like the California dial.

The 2782 in my BB has the calendar spacer and all calendar works removed as it originally came with quick set date. 

These watches might be small by today's standards but they are great everyday watches for that reason.

"Wish I could source more of these 5015 cases!"

For a while after I got mine, I would see one for sale now and then, but none were claimed to be genuine.  

Twenty years later they have become rare! and genuine!, even when sporting an ETA movement with a rlx sticker on the rotor.  

The 'BB' on eBay was the first one I have seen in a few years.  No way I would pay $1331USD for one though.  Ha!

From the Ranfft website:

21600 A/h:
2750 / 2770, 2776: no date
2752 / 2772: date
2753 / 2773: date, precision regulator
2758 / 2778: day, date
2759 / 2779: day, date, precision regulator
2761 / 2781: quick set date, high
2762 / 2782: quick set date
2763 / 2783: quick set date
2763-F6 / 2783-F6: quick set date, digital
2768 / 2788: day, quick set date
2769 / 2789: quick set day and date
2769-1 / 2789-1: quick set day and date, double-language
28800 A/h:
2751 / 2771: no date
2754 / 2774: date
2760 / 2780: day, date
2764 / 2784: quick set date
- / 2790 : quick set day and date
- / 2790-1: quick set day and date, double-language
- / 2791: quick set date, high

• Like 1

17 hours ago, automatico said:

Your watches are super nice!

I really like the California dial.

These watches might be small by today's standards but they are great everyday watches for that reason.

Twenty years later they have become rare! and genuine!, even when sporting an ETA movement with a rlx sticker on the rotor.  

The 'BB' on eBay was the first one I have seen in a few years.  No way I would pay $1331USD for one though.  Ha!

Hi R.!

thank you for the compliment :)

In fact is the result of several modifications and I could not avoid trying to do a California dial even if in my enthusiasm I was not predicting the hellish task of luming it ahah.

This was my first self done dial and after spoiling three (wrong tools and lume mix) this one showed me the way of mixing UV resin and therefore control volume and shape with torch.

Numbers in the case are exactly the same as yours: 5015 (as in thunderbird case) and serial 545383.

I bought it from a fellow paying for the original configuration 130 uk pounds, 5 years ago but then the mods started to claim a higher toll…

Anyway, the investment compensated and the result is I wear it quite often; as you say, a great everyday watch.

According to an old watchsmith here who saw a couple, the cases are japanese.

Don’t know the provenience but they are very well made, from the shape to the engraving on the inside of the caseback.

Last but not the least, please check your mail box.

I had sent you a Christmas gift :)

If you don’t know it or don’t have it already I am sure you will be delighted.

Best,

Marco

"This was my first self done dial and after spoiling three (wrong tools and lume mix) this one showed me the way of mixing UV resin and therefore control volume and shape with torch."

I had a dial refinished as a California dial about 15 years ago and they charged $180 back then because of the lume hassles.  Regular dials were $78 at the time.

"I had sent you a Christmas gift."

Got it.  Thanks!  :good:

The refinished Cal Dial...

image.thumb.jpeg.909f9e299ecc9da754cc46331178644a.jpeg