When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Clone 3xxx movements in Gen cases

Ronin

Hey gang, anyone have experience fitting the VR, etc.. 31xx Clone movements in 5-Digit "Genuine" cases? 

I am old school and my experience is with the older 15xx movements in 4-digit cases. 

Do 31xx movements install the same way as 15xx movements?  By that, I mean-- Drop in the grooves and Turn the movement and LOOSEN (raise) the case screw to lock it into the case?  or are 31xx case clamps? 

That said, knowing the 31xx clones are based on the ETA platform did they clone the proper mounting mechanism for use in gen cases?  And I am guessing the movements don't come with mounting hardware so I would need the proper screws (part number?)

Thanks!!!

That is a great question & 1 that I have wondered about myself.

Rolex's current sports models appear to have their movements installed with bridles (ie, case clamps) rather than fixed main plate screws that fit & tighten into the case wall grooves. But I have not seen any official Rolex service bulletins that highlight or detail this as being a formal design change -- it just seems that the current lineup all use bridles now.

Hopefully, someone with more info can shed some light on this.

"Do 31xx movements install the same way as 15xx movements?  Drop in the grooves and Turn the movement and LOOSEN (raise) the case screw to lock it into the case?"

Yes, on genuine 160xx/150xx and 160xx/162xx cases with genuine movements. 

You might need a certain type of casing screw though.  Some will need screws with thick outer edges, others may need thinner outer edges, while a few will need knife edge screw heads.  This will depend on the combined dial and movement thickness plus how close the case screw groove in the case is to matching up with the screw head outer edge.

The rolex method is a good one but I have found a few movements loose in the case where the screws came loose.  Case clamps and screws usually stay tight, but the clamps can lose tension and/or the screw can come loose.

Projects using genuine 150xx/160xx and 152xx/162xx cases with ETA etc. movements usually end up using case clamps with screws.

I have not worked on anything made since the late 1990s/early 2000s, the latest being 14010M Air Kings with sapphire crystals, sheet metal hoods, and hollow mid link bracelets.  I removed the case backs to get the movement serial numbers but do not remember how the movements were 'bolted down'.

Never owned anything with a rolex clone movement...aka 'clorex'. 

Notes: 

The non certified cal 3130 movements in the 14000M/14010M sapphire crystal AKs have serial numbers, unlike earlier four digit 15xx powered acrylic crystal AKs. 

The letter M = 3130 movement in place of cal 3000 (14000 = cal 3000, 14000M = cal 3130).

Imho, go with the 3130 if possible on AK, ND Subs etc in 'semi vintage' sapphire crystal models.  The 3130 is basically a no date 3135.

I don't know much about the 32xx movements, but it looks like there has been a bit of trouble with them keeping chronometer time and some had rotor bearing trouble.  

Good stuff.  Unrelated, but I have a cal3000 powered Gen 14060 Submariner.  The movement is not doing well -30/day.  Anyone ever service a Gen cal3000 no date here?  I can do an ETA 2824 in my sleep.  I don't want to send it to RSC because they will replace my Tritium 'peach' dial.  Similarly, anyone know if a 14060 3000 can be upgraded to a 3130 cal COSC?  Guessing it is a drop in upgrade.  (Don't tell the Rolex police.  😛 )

"Anyone ever service a Gen cal 3000 no date here?"

I've done a few 3035 and they are no trouble and a 3000 would be easier because of no date works.  They are a lot like an ETA 2824. 

Just be careful with the balance/hairspring as they are high $$ now.  The 3035 has a Breguet HS and the 3000 has a flat HS.  

Rolex Caliber 3000 Watch Movement | Caliber Corner

【Assembling Watch Movement#24】ROLEX Cal.3000 Assembly|Watch Repair & Overhaul - YouTube

• Thanks 1