When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Removal of balance on running watch vs non running

Timelord

In my horological experiences I have never had the need to remove a balance assembly on full power, but noticed a discussion that some do remove it on a powered watch. I understand that there are times the balance needs to be removed on a fully running watch!  What is your preferred method?

As the balance is removed, the pallets will instantly stop & lock the escape wheel (&, therefore, the entire train) in place. So there is no danger in removing the balance.

However, if you then remove the pallets (with power still in the mainspring), you run the risk (high) of damaging something as the entire movement will spin wildly out of control -- until the mainspring is fully unwound.

Before disassembling the rest of the movement, (while holding the winding crown firmly between your fingers so it cannot move) you should dislodge the click from the ratchet wheel & slowly allow the winding crown to slowly spin between your fingers to manually 'let down the mainspring'. Once the mainspring is discharged, you can then safely disassemble the entire movement. I think either Ziggy or I posted a tutorial on this many years ago, but I cannot find it now.

• 1 month later...

To renmove a balance assy, it is best if it is stopped. To suddenly loose full power to the drive train, can possibly damage members of the drive train. If you release the main spring gently, it’s almost guaranteed you will not damage any parts. Good luck. N

I Have just  noticed this topic and it is something that has never crossed my mind as trivial as it may sound!  

I cannot believe that I also have never done this in my whole entire timeframe  of watch tinkering and feel incredibly fortunate that I have never damaged anything as a result of not taking this recently learnt precaution!  I will now take it in board!  The last expensive movement I serviced was my Explorer caliber 3000 and  recall removing balance after 25 turns of ending crown and all went smoothly which I now know could have gone incredibly wrong!  Thanks for sharing!