When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best 'project watch' you ever owned...

automatico

Mine is a '1016' that has an ETA 2824/2846 'combo' movement.  It has 2824 plates etc. with 2846 escapement, center wheel, cp etc.  This dial/movement was in a JMB case for a while and now it is in a genuine rolex 162xx case.

Q...Why is it The Best?

A...Because it keeps good time and has a long reserve, about the same as the average high mileage 15xx rolex movement. 

Second best is a MBK '5512' with nos ETA 2879.

Third was a 'shortcut 1655' with rlx 1575 but it is in pieces now.

That's it.  Nothing else stands out.

JMB '1016' project update... - The Rolex Area - RWG

Building an MBW Sub + 'shortcut' rlx 1560/70 GMT conversions... - Page 2 - The Rolex Area - RWG

What is/was yours?

Great thread topic, auto!

Best would have to be my (white dialed) Phase II 6542.

A notable second would be 1st (black dialed) 6542 franken, which was 1 of the most complicated watch construction projects I have participated in. I say participated because it took several of the most knowledgeable RWG regulars, including Bob, to get everything worked out at a time when there were no 6542 reps & the final watch was a franken -- a concatenation of 4 different & heavily modified watches & a number of 1 of a kind, hand-made parts -- in the truest sense of the word.

6542crystals 003+2__-2_tonemapped+1.jpg

6542s 001 -2_ +2__tonemapped +1.jpg

Mine would be my 6542 and my 6204, both with the ETA2846 movements, and both with the 13mm minute hand that goes to the edge of the chapter ring. That hand completes the look. The 6542 was inspired by Freddy's build, and took me to make the insert and bezel per spec, and talk Rafflestime to make the 4th hand and brevet crown. Those were the days.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JoeyB said:

The 6542 was inspired by Freddy's build, and took me to make the insert and bezel per spec

It was that dirty 'test' insert you made that put my '42 over the top. It was too bad you were not able to reproduce that insert, with the dirt/shipping damage (that resulted in the insert arriving in 5 or 6 pieces), for the actual production run. Comparing the 'test' insert to the finished version, the 'test' insert won hands-down. Sometimes, our mistakes turn out to be strokes of genius. That 'test' insert was a prime example.

palmed6542 005+2__-2_tonemapped.jpg

lexan_comparison.jpg