When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Andrew & Josh's Response To The Little White Lies Thread...

trustywatchguy

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would much rather get a very good quality replica than a crummy fake (or nothing at all), even if the description was slightly exaggerated.

Ok. It's your money. But, for the rest of us, we'd like a person to be honest about what they are selling us. As long as I'm not sending a dealer "fake" money, I'd prefer if he keeps it "real" with what he says I'm buying (even if it's a rep). That is such a simple concept that I don't understand why it's so hard to understand.

For you, it's OK to lie about what you are getting as long as they send you something you are personally willing to live with for that exchange. Apparently, that is not the case with the majority of us. Like I said, "It's your money."

Devedander, Nouns Defions, Pugwash, et al.,

Sorry, I forgot about this thread. In hindsight, I regret posting this reply as I was afraid my intent & meaning would be misconstrued.

Although I failed (miserably) to articulate my sentiments, I do agree with you 100% in that any attempt (malevolent or benign) to obscure the facts is wrong. No one should ever, under any circumstances, for any reason, lie, exaggerate, embellish, mislead, conceal, spin or otherwise obfuscate the truth in any way. This is particularly true for dealer advertising.

I posted my response mainly because of my early experiences with looking for a nice replica watch. The hypothetical situation I described concerns a buyer who doesn't know about this site (i.e. Me, a few months ago). Basically, I woke up one morning with a hankering to buy a replica watch for some reason. The ensuing events went something like this....

1) log onto computer. Google search for keywords "replica watch", "swiss replica", "Omega replica watch", etc, etc.

2) get approx 10,000 hits on replicas. Spend the next 10+ hours clicking and reading link after link after link after link....

3) find dozens of replica watch sites and dozens of "replica watch buyers guides". Read & read & read & read. Ironically, *this site* and the web sites of Josh, Andrew, etc were not among the dozens of hits Google turned up.

4) Almost purchased a Breitling rep and an Omega rep because the web site pictures and description seemed like a good deal. Found out later that these watches were not as advertised and that many of the sites were canceled (probably because the sellers just took the credit card numbers and ran). Even if I had found Josh's site, I still may have purchased from a bogus dealer because their watches seemed like a better deal. How do I know who is honest and who isn't w/o a web site like RWG to guide me?

Again, the (admittedly rare) circumstances I described do not apply to anyone who is fortunate enough to know about this site. I found www.rwg.cc simply by accident (still can't remember how I happened across it). I consider myself VERY, VERY LUCKY to have found this site!!

As always, buyer beware and do your homework. Of course, I doesn't help to do your homework if your reading out of the wrong book, as I was months ago. (This site being the RIGHT book!)

I want to reiterate that I do not condone or endorse any dealer (or anyone) intentionally misleading consumers, even if their motives are somehow philanthropic in some way. Everyone/anyone, should always tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Period. That is my opinion for the record. I apologize, most sincerely, if my post seemed to advocate dealer mis-representation of their products.

Jeff

P.S.

I just ordered a SMP 300M chrono from Joshua and I'm awaiting delivery. He responded to my emails VERY quickly (often within hours) and I sent him *a lot* of messages. I was able to pay using my VISA debit card and Western Union. Overall the whole process was quite easy all things considered. So far, I rate him as follows...

Email Response Time: 9 out of 10 points.

Ordering Options: 9 out of 10 points.

Delivery: (to be determined)

Product Quality (to be determined)

TTK, LMAO!! (black eye joke)

suggestion... list your web site address so that people can view your products. I couldn't find your web site mentioned anywhere on these forums. Next to your profile would be the best place (Same goes for ALL the dealers here. Hard to shop w/o a "store" to look at w/ pictures/stats/prices/order info/contact info)

list your web site address so that people can view your products. I couldn't find your web site mentioned anywhere on these forums.

TTK is more like those old hardware stores than a supermarket. One guy behind the counter, knows exactly what he has. Everything he has is on here.

I posted my response mainly because of my early experiences with looking for a nice replica watch. The hypothetical situation I described concerns a buyer who doesn't know about this site (i.e. Me, a few months ago). Basically, I woke up one morning with a hankering to buy a replica watch for some reason. The ensuing events went something like this....

1) log onto computer. Google search for keywords "replica watch", "swiss replica", "Omega replica watch", etc, etc.

2) get approx 10,000 hits on replicas. Spend the next 10+ hours clicking and reading link after link after link after link....

3) find dozens of replica watch sites and dozens of "replica watch buyers guides". Read & read & read & read. Ironically, *this site* and the web sites of Josh, Andrew, etc were not among the dozens of hits Google turned up.

4) Almost purchased a Breitling rep and an Omega rep because the web site pictures and description seemed like a good deal. Found out later that these watches were not as advertised and that many of the sites were canceled (probably because the sellers just took the credit card numbers and ran). Even if I had found Josh's site, I still may have purchased from a bogus dealer because their watches seemed like a better deal. How do I know who is honest and who isn't w/o a web site like RWG to guide me?

Again, the (admittedly rare) circumstances I described do not apply to anyone who is fortunate enough to know about this site. I found www.rwg.cc simply by accident (still can't remember how I happened across it). I consider myself VERY, VERY LUCKY to have found this site!!

As always, buyer beware and do your homework. Of course, I doesn't help to do your homework if your reading out of the wrong book, as I was months ago. (This site being the RIGHT book!)

Oy vey, you sound like me. I did the same thing. Unfortunately, I did bite on one of those sites. I fell into the replicacenter.com trap and got a watch from goreplicas.com. What can I say, I was a dumb noobie. I thought I was getting a great deal on a good Submariner for the special sale price of $800. It is a good rep, but a $200 model from any of our guys would beat it hands down. So what can you do? I was upset for a while, but now I just look fondly on that $800 Submariner and think about how happy I am about the path it led me onto.

..... It could have been worse. Far worse. So it was a suitable learning experience. I just feel sorry for the people that still fall into those sites and wish I could holler to them "no don't do it!" Over here!

I do remember how I found these sites (both RWGs, TRC, and RWI). They were all listed on the replicawatch100.com list which I wish I found a lot earlier. I don't know if that list is still around.

/Tim

Stang,

I think I got your meaning now. Are you saying that dishonest dealers caused a site like this one to be developed where we can pool our knowledge together to remedy the situation? On the one hand, it would be better if all dealers were more like TTK, Angus, Andrew and Josh (to name a few). But, being as things are, I agree that this website is a positive consequence of dishonest dealers.

It is for this very reason that I urge people who haven't spoken out to do so now. I know from my PMs that there are a lot of people that agree with me but would rather not say so publicly for fear of damaging their relationship with their dealer, but this is it; this is the last chance. Speak now or forever hold your peace, because if the Admin team believe that we're all happy being mislead by dealers, they will take that as the policy of the board.

I hope I'm not being over-dramatic, but let's take the other point of view. If you're happy for the dealers to use misleadign terms because you understand what they really mean then speak. Tell us worry-mongers how much we're over-reacting and convince us we're just worrying over nothing. We will shut up if the forum tells us that they don't have a problem with the dealers using potentially misleading terms.

Hi all.

I bought a BR 01-92 1:1 from Andrew as he had advertised it as having an "ETA 2892". A couple of days later, in response to Pug's "White lies that we are supposed to tolerate" post, I noticed that he had updated the wording on his site to ASIAN ETA 2892. Let me tell you, I was very pi**ed off and also had that sinking feeling. When the watch arrived... You've guessed it - DEAD ON ARRIVAL. I did the usual and sent him a polite email. He sent a brief one back telling me to shake the watch vigorously and told me how to wind the crown etc. !!!!!!!!!! :thumbdown:

I told him that I would try to get it fixed from a Watchguy rather than send it straight back! His response was basically - you do that then!! I have spent $1200 with him in the month of Jan and want to spend more!! I just don't get it ???????????????

Edited by scottie333

Quote from Nouns Defions:

"I think I got your meaning now. Are you saying that dishonest dealers caused a site like this one to be developed where we can pool our knowledge together to remedy the situation? On the one hand, it would be better if all dealers were more like TTK, Angus, Andrew and Josh (to name a few). But, being as things are, I agree that this website is a positive consequence of dishonest dealers."

Nouns .... very kind words and the kid-gloves are appreciated. Actually, I'm guilty of a case of "newbie-enthusiasm" wanting to contribute *something*, without careful thought as to how my post would be interpreted. Post was related to recent personal experience and my situation probably would not have been much improved if the honest dealers here at RWG had "jazzed-up" their descriptions. Just didn't think things through.

Quote from Tim:

"Oy vey, you sound like me. I did the same thing. Unfortunately, I did bite on one of those sites. I fell into the replicacenter.com trap and got a watch from goreplicas.com."

Bummer, my friend. I remember that %#!@*& replicacenter site now! Stupid jerks, I thought they were for real. I *tried* to do my homework but I was reading the wrong textbook. :thumbdown: I feel your pain (mostly ... only because I didn't actually buy a watch (but only because it was Christmas time & cashflow was tight.)). $800 is a lot of money in my book. Getting mislead by a real schyster really sucks. Good news is that you never have to feel that pain again. You got RWG now!! :victory:

"I do remember how I found these sites (both RWGs, TRC, and RWI)."

You mean there are more excellent web sites like this one?!?! Great .... to a watchaholic that's bad news. I'm deep into my repli-horology addiction enough already!! :whistling:

From Chronus....

Don't be a Pug

I was trying to figure out what you meant, until I saw Pugwash's post count...

:o :oHoly busted keyboard batman!! :o:o

He must have some kind of prototype cerebral/computer neural interface that allows instant forum posting from thought. Or, a lot of free time.

From Chronus....

I was trying to figure out what you meant, until I saw Pugwash's post count...

:o :oHoly busted keyboard batman!! :o:o

He must have some kind of prototype cerebral/computer neural interface that allows instant forum posting from thought. Or, a lot of free time.

Nah...

He just aint got no life...

TT

200370-1804.jpg

I just ordered a SMP 300M chrono from Joshua and I'm awaiting delivery

An update on my order from Josh. (so far I gave him 9 of 10 on website/collection, 9 of 10 on email response time & 9 of 10 on ease of ordering).

Delivery info:

* Placed order on Wed (02/07/07) via WU.

* Received confirmation and tracking number from Josh same day (02/07/07) - (Was told by Josh to begin tracking on 02/09/07)

* Received delivery from his location (will not mention where) yesterday, 02/13/07. (PO slip in mailbox since I wasn't home to receive package, I will go to PO tomorrow to pick up package!!)

Thus, 6-day turn around time from date of order/payment to date of delivery!! :thumbsupsmileyanim: I'll give Josh a 9 out of 10 for delivery. Note, I'm almost impossible to get a 10 out of 10 from...

Kudos to Josh for great service so far. I'll let you know what the rep looks like when I pick it up tomorrow. :victory:

• 1 month later...

I lifted this quote from RWI but it bears repeating here. The information about the value of money in China is especially illuminating.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say that as a relative newcomer to the Darkside, reading this thread has made me very unsure that I want to continue purchasing from any of the cartel members. Now, I have already known that the dropshippers are cause for some concern (because they don't even see the product they are selling), and for that reason I have gone with people like Ruby who will send me exact photos of the watch that will be shipped.

There are good dealers out there... but I think the overwhelming weight of the evidence suggests that it is not a good idea to continue supporting the "Big 4". Start voting with your dollars and use the other dealers.

I've heard others saying that they tolerate deliberate misrepresentations regarding the quality of goods because "this is an illegal business." So they continue to purchase to satisfy their habit and to appease the dealers. This is so irrational that I wonder if these people aren't just "shills" for the dealers - what if the people making these sorts of comments are in fact the dealers themselves? I wouldn't put it past dealers to have multiple user names. With multiple accounts, a dealer could make some comments on a thread like this without fear of having their comments disregarded as being self-serving. They may be the source of dissension in the ranks.

At any rate, the real problem with the "I'll accept lying because this is illegal" argument is that there must be honor among thieves. Dealers depend (as all businesses do) on repeat business and word of mouth. If you make it known that you will stop referring people to them and that you will stop purchasing from them - they will have to react. Remember that these things come from China - $200 is a lot of money in China. In fact, $200 is $58 more THAN AN ENTIRE MONTH'S WAGES for the average CHINESE UNIVERSITY GRADUATE! Worse, the people involved with manufacturing these watches are not even university graduates! You are getting ripped off!

(see here)

Salary info: http://www.expatica.com/actual/article.asp...;story_id=12004

Valuation: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=1...G=Google+Search

AVOID DROPSHIPPERS LIKE THE PLAGUE. You will note that that TTK, Pug, and various other senior members have said the same. Newcomers would be wise to heed their advice.