When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Purchasing Rep Designer Shoes?

jj69

Something frightening just happened… my girlfriend just discovered that some of our dealers sell rep designer shoes!

Of course, there is a pair she MUST have. My concern is customs. A tiny padded envelope from China containing a watch seems to glide right through JFK, but what about a box containing a pair of shoes lavishly branded with large insignias all over the shoes and the packaging? I’m afraid of the customs duty on a pair of designer shoes that could well be valued at $500 if it’s mistaken for the real thing.

Does anyone have experiences to share about shoes getting through US customs? I suppose experiences with handbags would fall into the same category, but I think customs officers would be more likely to call out a handbag as a “fake” than a pair of shoes.

Something frightening just happened… my girlfriend just discovered that some of our dealers sell rep designer shoes!

Of course, there is a pair she MUST have. My concern is customs. A tiny padded envelope from China containing a watch seems to glide right through JFK, but what about a box containing a pair of shoes lavishly branded with large insignias all over the shoes and the packaging? I’m afraid of the customs duty on a pair of designer shoes that could well be valued at $500 if it’s mistaken for the real thing.

Does anyone have experiences to share about shoes getting through US customs? I suppose experiences with handbags would fall into the same category, but I think customs officers would be more likely to call out a handbag as a “fake” than a pair of shoes.

I don't think it would be that big of an issue, what a pair of used shoes worth on ebay?

Don't be cheap about buying shoes. A good pair of shoes can last many years and a cheap pair can be frustrating and painful. I may have a big box of fake watches, but I have a closet full of genuine designer shoes. Your girlfriend will appreciate a pair of Pradas a lot more than a pair of nadas. And you will appreciate her feet a lot more without some nasty bunions.

Don't be cheap about buying shoes. A good pair of shoes can last many years and a cheap pair can be frustrating and painful. I may have a big box of fake watches, but I have a closet full of genuine designer shoes. Your girlfriend will appreciate a pair of Pradas a lot more than a pair of nadas. And you will appreciate her feet a lot more without some nasty bunions.

I second that :thumbsupsmileyanim: watches are fine, but something like shoes would have me a bit worried, being kind to your feet is very important, bad shoes can cause problems.

Would you wear rep prescription eyeglasses? :whistling:

I appreciate the advice guys, but you have no idea of what I'm dealing with. She's an American Imelda Marcos.

You have to see this girl's bedroom. I'm not talking about 30, 50 or even 100 pairs of shoes. I'm talking HUNDREDS of shoes. You can barely walk around the room without knocking over a stack of shoeboxes. The sickest part of it is that she's never even worn many of them. I understand that most broads are a little wacky about shoes, but this girl is out of control.

My thinking here is why should she pay $500 for a pair of designer shoes (that she really can't afford) to wear once when she can get a "rep" for $65?

I'm also curious about the quality myself. More and more high end fashion designers are shifting production of their shoes to China. Soon only the top couture designs will be made in Europe. Much like our watches, if the Chinese are making the gens under contract, perhaps the reps are coming from the same factories and in similar quality. There's only one way to find out.

Edited by jj69

You have to see this girl's bedroom. I'm not talking about 30, 50 or even 100 pairs of shoes. I'm talking HUNDREDS of shoes. You can barely walk around the room without knocking over a stack of shoeboxes. The sickest part of it is that she's never even worn many of them.

:help:     .... that's a serious addiction ......but again I guess is the same as with somebody owning 100+ watches .... euqualy addictive and equaly serious.

• 2 weeks later...
1) You're going to have to get *any* suit tailored if you want to look good.

2) The best investment you can make in life is finding a good tailor.

3) When it comes to Off the Rack suits, they're all made in China as it is.

That said, you need to tailor down or up from a decent fit. And I need to figure out how to get a base-fit for my tailor to work with.

I meant more along the lines that I'm not sure if these are sized to Asian specs.. or US/European specs.

The XL's in China = a US Med. usually.

So I'm not 100% sure on the sizing requirements.

Just b/c I'm on a rep board doesn't mean I don't own gens... of the watches or the suits.

:victory: