When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review Of Breitling Chronomat Evolution v2

Seadweller4000

197187-2711.jpg

Reading Bytor’s and other member’s reviews, I always wanted to do something like that, but never took the chance. This is my first attempt, so please be kind. :whistling:

197187-2712.jpg

I ordered the watch from Angus (PURETIME) and received it exactly 7 days after that.

To be frank, it just looks amazing. I tried my best to shoot good pics of it, but as hard as I try – these crappy pictures don’t do it any justice.

It was well wrapped into a thick package of rubber foam and came with an additional black leather strap.

197187-2713.jpg

I like the steel bracelet – attached to this watch it makes a real heavy combo: round 0.24kg (0.53pounds).

197187-2714.jpg

197187-2715.jpg

The bracelet is solid, very good finish and made one to one to the real deal (as far as I know).

It took me quite a while until I had it down to my size, for you have to take it fully into pieces like the gen. Nice clasp, by the way.

197187-2716.jpg

But I just love that leather strap. It feels so perfect, that – even though it’s a 43.7mm watch – it’s a nice fit also on a small wrist (mine are about 6.5).

197187-2717.jpg

I chose the asian version, as I thought that even if it should fail, I could swap the movement to a swiss ETA 7750 in no time.

But since it arrived, it lost 2-4 secs a day, even with the chronofunction on. I am a lucky guy!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

As I can’t compare it to the real one it took me some time to have it next to pictures of the gen. I could spot some vanities, such as the datefont which should be a bit thicker, the pearl is slightly of, too.

Gen:

197187-2718.jpg

Rep:

197187-2719.jpg

Note, that the small coat under the index is in brighter white than on the replica.

The lume is nice, but I assume does not come close to the gen (please correct me on that).

197187-2720.jpg

Nonetheless, the dial is extremely well made, with love to the detail and even the circle-relief is stunning. You can’t see it on my crappy pics, but believe me – it’s there. :Jumpy:

197187-2721.jpg

The bezel is milled – not stamped, like on some cheaper copys.

197187-2722.jpg

By the way, the pushers are screwed in. Just like the real one.

Caseback. It’s polished and looks just like it should:

197187-2723.jpg

197187-2724.jpg

The engraving is deep and clean.

My favourite part about this watch is truly the AR. I’ve never owned something like this before. The coating is on the inside as well as on the outside, and believe me – it’s not just some blueish color. From certain angles, you think you could “touch” the hands and dial.

The blue reflections the AR-coating gives to the sapphire seem to spend this watch its own soul, I can’t take my eyes of it…

197187-2725.jpg

197187-2726.jpg

197187-2727.jpg

Here I took some shots next to my Omega SMP Chrono:

197187-2728.jpg

197187-2729.jpg

And here it is next to my very first rep (a gift from a good friend of mine):

197187-2730.jpg

197187-2731.jpg

197187-2732.jpg

I really hope you enjoyed my little post. I know you all are already tired by all the eyecandy coming up of the EVO Ultimate, but I still hope you had at least half the fun reading it gave me writing it.

Thanks Angus, for this fine watch, if someone would've told me this possible one year ago, I would've simply laughed at him.

I am still impressed. :victory:

Cheers,

Ben.

Excellent review...and pictures, Seadweller.

This is the first post I've read since receiving my own Evo. Initial impression: this watch is its own version of "shock and awe."

And I particularly appreciate your comments about the bracelet. I immediately removed the bracelet and put on the extra deep red leather strap that Angus offered because I didn't want to mess with the bracelet before getting the Evo onto my wrist. How many links did you remove to size the bracelet?

nice review seadweller! your side-angles close up pictures are really great.

I particularly appreciate your comments about the bracelet. I immediately removed the bracelet and put on the extra deep red leather strap that Angus offered because I didn't want to mess with the bracelet before getting the Evo onto my wrist. How many links did you remove to size the bracelet?

EDIT: to remove reference to bracelet not fitting my 7" wrists...i was fiddling around with the bracelet tonight and realized that the link closest to the clasp will actually come out -- you have to use two screwdrivers to be able to get it to unscrew though (otherwise it just spins).

brad

for what it's worth, i have a 7" wrist and even after resizing the links on my BCE to the smallest possible setting (including the micro-adjustment on the clasp), it was still a little loosey goosey on my wrist (doesn't stay put)...

brad

Thanks Brad. That's exactly the information I was looking for. I'm leaning toward bracelets these days, but damn, that leather band looks incredible against the Evo case and bezel. And they are very comfortable as well. Perhaps I'll try to resize the bracelet this weekend....if I have the time.

• 8 months later...