When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

51 Jewels ETA 2824-2 Chronograph ???, Movement question Options

Thor

As the topic says, this is what is all engraved and stamped on the movement, but I didn't know that this movement can function as a chrono ! And 51 Jewels ??? Is this exagerated Rep-Factory-Stuff or what is meant by this ?

(This Rep is 8 years old !!!)

(Daytona with running secs at 3)

It's fully functional and keeps very good time !

84-8532.jpg

Maybe it actually has 51 jewels - altough I don't think that...

It's very popular, especially for cheaper brands (the ones on eBay going for 100$ and being Asia Reps with special names like Aeromatic 1912 or so) - they use stanard movements with 17 J and indicate 51 J - so 34 J are without function and for example stuck on the rotor (to be some kinda special bearing :rolleyes: )...

As I said - this is common in those Asia brands on eBay... I dunno if this is common in reps too - I don't think so!

WOW, if this is a working chrono, maybe it has 51 jewels!

if it keeps good time and it's 8 years old... i'd rather take one like that than a crappy asian 7750!!

@ namor :

2824-2 ETA does not have chrono it's a 25 jewels 11.5 linge automatic movement very similar

To the famous 2836-2 .

Onl,y 51 jewel I know

about 3K

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/jwl/109029581.html

Also that is a great looking movement in your watch finish wise...

ETA 28XX can only function as a chronograph with for excamle the Dubois Dépraz chronograph module

if your watch does have functional chrono, the jewelcount could indeed be 51.

If a watchmovement is not true chronograph movement of origin (ie a piggy bag module is added) the chrono pushers are not on same line as the crown, but usually a tad above.

Job

So I checked again, just to be 100% sure.

The Movement is definetely stamped: 2824-2 S1 ETA

The finish is very good on this one, although I'm no expert I'm definetely

sure, this is no copy asian movement !

I will try to take some more shots, not that easy !

Its eta for sure.

post some pics of watch itself: face, crown-side of the case.

Job

I've got 51 jewels :band:

man i cant wait to see what ZIGGY says about this 51j swiss movement ..

Excellent

Find and BUY

Some new Pictures, I'm really curious to hear your comments !

84-8533.jpg

84-8534.jpg

84-8535.jpg

84-8536.jpg

Some facts about that watch:

Crown and both pushers are real screw down (Pushers have screw rings).

Back is screwed too, not just pressed.

Dial is clear and sharp.

It has a sapphire.

Bracelet has screws, not pins, correctly polished midlinks, correct short clasp with Rol** Crown on Counterlock.

Non-SEL.

Stopwatch functions are perfect and very smooth.

Seconds at 3.

I believe this is a true collectors piece, even with all the flaws.

Remember ! This one is at least 8 years old !!!

Who build Reps like this 8 years ago ???

I'm really curious to learn more about it.

I bought this watch about 4 years ago at eBay, seller was in Switzerland, told me he bought it another 4 years ago in Italy. I never opened the back, now after reading and learning so much here at RWG I was curious and what I see is making me even more curious !

Main questions for me are:

-How is this movement upgraded to work with stopwatch function ?

-Who built stuff like this 8 years ago ?

I'm thankful for every piece of information !

how much was it on the bay?

it´s a dubois debraz movement,

based on eta 2824 with chrono module.

real 51-jewels inside

I think I payed about ~200,- Euros for it.

That was 4 years ago, at that time I had no clue about

all the different qualities available in rep-scene.

But anyway it's not a bad price I suppose !

It was in used condition with a Rol** Box, I gave it

to my watchsmith who polished it a bit, removed some

minor scratches and serviced the movement.

@fastfreddy:

Do you have a clue whether this type of movement

is still available ? If yes, how much is it worth it ?

Do you have an idea who could have made a rep like

this, so long ago ?

It doesn't seem like a standard rep.

You got the deal of the century for 260 bucks. 2824 (2892 w/ a chrono module) is unheard of in repdom as far as I know. I've never seen one in the 6 years I've been collecting at least.

Looks like you have a damn nice frankenwatch, although I can think of 101 better uses for a 2824 chrono than a Daytona--there are many nice genuine watches that actually use that exact mnovement and a rep using the same ould be phenomenal.

#1 on my rep wish list is that the chinese will copy the chrono module along and/or the big date module the way they have the retrograde and "crazy hours" modules. That would open a whole world of sweet reps.

Can you please give some examples to think about ?

A "Heart transplantation" should be no problem...

The point is - I like my Daytona very much, and it' definetely a solid quality piece - but secs at 3 ???

Someone has made very much effort to build this thing up, and it must have been not cheap - but

such a big big giveaway ???

Please give some examples for accurate Frankens which could get a better use of this movement !

yes, it seems like that is indeed true:

Movement: Swiss automatic chronograph movement (dubois depranz 2025/2824-2) 51 jewels

This movement (or close relatives, usually 2892 but with the same chrono module) are used in all sorts of genuine watches.

Some better know examples would be the Breitling Bentleys, some older Breitling Navitimers, the Cartier Roadster chrono and most of the older Omega Speedmaster Auto's.

Its a great movement and would be great for anyone wanting a base for a franken watch.

Jeez, there are so many (remember, any gen which has a 2892 & chrono module will be indistinguishable from the 2824 w/ module)...Tag monaco comes immediately to mind, a couple 20k mullers, etc but there are dozens. I suggest you pick up a copy of Wristwatch annual 2006 and look for a watch you like that is listed as having a 2892 w chrono module. Then see if:

--OEM dials, cases, hands, etc are available.

--If a rep is available

Then, and there is no guarantee, you and your watchsmith can work together to combine these parts to make a franken. I love doing this, but have come to learn that unless you're doing rolexes, omegas, or other big volume sellers, you'll come up blank way more often than not. As I've said in other threads, I have 4 mullers and a PAM in various states of completion waiting for one part or another. Maybe I'll find these parts, maybe I never will...but that's the fun.

200bucks was a _[censored]ING_ bargain!