When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question on PAM crown guard

sssurfer

Hi, I just noticed that on several genuine PAMs the CG lever is not placed at the center of the main axis of the CG, but quite asimmetrically, so that one of the two tracks (unsure how they are called in English) that the lever moves between is noticeably thinner than the other one. The thinner track is always the one on the dial side.

I'm posting two CG closeups from gens, a 090 and a 180, that (I hope) will make easier to understand what I am saying. Apologies for low quality, I had to blowup them, but they should be enough to get the essentials.

Does anyone know if this feature is based on models, which models have this kind of CG, or anything else that can make any sense of it? On my searches I was unable to find it.

18334-2821.jpg18334-2822.jpg

Thanks,

:sss:

Guest avitt

This design is necessary to center the lever in the middle of the crown. You will notice that the crown is not centered on the case (it is biased towards the top), but the crown guard is.

Thanks, avitt, this makes sense.

I wonder if there is a way to know on which models the CG is that way.

It seems a very noticeable rep-vs-gen feature, even more than recessed pin or crown thickness.

both my genuine submersibles is like how u show yours in the pictures, the earlier reps were centered and that is why jimmy fu sold so many of his lol now most of the newer ones r pretty equal to the genuine, i know that my new 199 regatta is almost exat thickness as my genuine one which was pretty nice imho

Thanks RBJ.

My watchsmith just pointed out that such a lever arrangement means that the watch movement and dial are closer to the crystal.

Still, it does not seem related with lacking any need for additional clearance between the dial and the crystal, since it can also be found on models that have a date window and therefore a cyclops.

Unsure on whether it can also be found on models with a long central seconds hand instead of small seconds.

Quite an obscure topic so far, IMO... :huh:

Just to add my 2 cents - the reason the CG always looks skinny on the reps is because on the gens the crowns sits much closer to the case so does not need to be pulled out as far to adjust the hands. As a result the crown cut-out in the CG is not as deep so the CG looks fatter. The rep crowns sit much further out from the case so need a deeper cut-out to pull the crown into to adjust the hands, otherwise the size of the rep CG's is correct.

All early PAMs have a CG that the top surface is curved from top to bottom to follow the profile of the case when looked at from the side and are much fatter than the modern PAM's.

I wonder if there is a way to know on which models the CG is that way.

It seems a very noticeable rep-vs-gen feature, even more than recessed pin or crown thickness.

looking at the Pre-V/A blueprint images, the off-centre was in the designs of the c.1997 models, so I think you need to go back to relatively early vintage models to find the centred version, and I think this would mean 47mm cased as well. As finepics mentions as well, there was rounding and other 'features' to those CGs as well - the obvious one is the BREV. ITAL. stamped on the backside of these earlier CGs.

Thanks all for the infos.

Enzo, I seem to remember that also some more recent models have the centred version.

Ok, good subject for my next searches.