When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Golf Equipment

Mickey Padge

Apart from anything else how can a supplier afford to re-ship genuine Callaway clubs if they get confiscated by customs????

He can`t.....unless they are cheap cheap cheap.....

QED ..they are copies.

To be honest I dont understand how Kenberg presumed they would be real , especially from the information on the web site , replica watches Lv hand bags and free re-shipping............. Glad no-one got taken.

A pal of mine bought the following from China recently :

Callaway Irons latest Big bertha

Callaway Woodsx3

Odossey putter 2 ball

Pro bag

Umbrella

Travel cover bag for golf bag and holdall

All for just over $200

Thats how cheap stuff is if you know where to go.

FYI Im not saying compaines like Callaway sell far superior products , they just have a well thought out market to protect.

Around 10 years ago when callaway launched the Biggest Big Bertha driver the actual production cost stood at around $5 which included shaft and grip , this obviously did not include any R&D , marketing or sponsership costs .But you can see how cheap stuff is made.

Callaway have made fortunes especially when they give the local retailer or pro shop a small trade discount of around 20-25%.

If you could get authentic clubs unauthorised it would be a few sets and it wouldnt last 5 minutes.The hole would be plugged.

Best stick to watches and clothing

TomH

Edited by TomH

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TomH @ May 16 2007, 11:55 AM)

Apart from anything else how can a supplier afford to re-ship genuine Callaway clubs if they get confiscated by customs????

There's a flaw in this statement. Can anyone else spot it?

re-ship genuine... confiscated by customs... customs are suposed not to confiscate genuine items? ;)

It wasn`t my statement just commenting on this :

Ok I am really sorely tempred to run with this after last night when I received confirmation from the supplier that should anyones goods get held by customs he will re-send.

Just a little more checking out and I may add some to my sales.

Ken

TomH

My brother confirmed that titanium head drivers are not magnetic, at least his clubs are not.

Have a look here: www.callawaygolf.com/uk.cg.ContactUs.ContactUsNineWays.html

It mentions the clubs that should not be magnetic in that link.

If the club head was some kind of alloy, depending on the ratio, the clubs may still be magnetic.

Cheers :D

Companies like Callaway invest a fortune in advertising , marketing and sponsership to make their brand what it is.

Any Authorised factory would not risk selling goods out the back door just for a few extra bucks , the factory would loose their contract and get sued as well just for the bargain.Its strict , strict strict.

Also many of the clubs are actually shipped to the relevant countries in parts and then assembled. So they ship containers of heads , shafts grips etc. It saves on space and allows more product to be shipped.

Sometimes the shaft are manufactured in different countries and then shipped to different locations for assembly , so any factory offering fully assembled clubs saying they are genuine are telling stories.

Factories that manufacture clubs do not make shafts .

TomH

I know that. But I also know that its possible to get these things from the factories (at least in some cases&small quantities). The guy did not make the wholesaler impression on me. I also have no idea whether he got the fully assembled clubs straight from the factory or did it himself.

He can`t.....unless they are cheap cheap cheap.....

QED ..they are copies.

To be honest I dont understand how Kenberg presumed they would be real , especially from the information on the web site , replica watches Lv hand bags and free re-shipping............. Glad no-one got taken.

A pal of mine bought the following from China recently :

Callaway Irons latest Big bertha

Callaway Woodsx3

Odossey putter 2 ball

Pro bag

Umbrella

Travel cover bag for golf bag and holdall

All for just over $200

Thats how cheap stuff is if you know where to go.

FYI Im not saying compaines like Callaway sell far superior products , they just have a well thought out market to protect.

Around 10 years ago when callaway launched the Biggest Big Bertha driver the actual production cost stood at around $5 which included shaft and grip , this obviously did not include any R&D , marketing or sponsership costs .But you can see how cheap stuff is made.

Callaway have made fortunes especially when they give the local retailer or pro shop a small trade discount of around 20-25%.

If you could get authentic clubs unauthorised it would be a few sets and it wouldnt last 5 minutes.The hole would be plugged.

Best stick to watches and clothing

TomH

Well, the guy told me he could get me fake clubs for about the price you just mentioned. He also did not tell me that he would re-ship the gen clubs, I assumed he wouldnt (I didnt ask though).

re-ship genuine... confiscated by customs... customs are suposed not to confiscate genuine items? ;)

They actually dont care whether they are genuine or not. You are not allowed to import stuff from china without Callaways agreement. You can only hope they dont catch them, and if they do, you can only hope they have had a good day and turn a blind eye to it. I only got mine released, because I payed a company a LOT for "handling" my items through customs (besides a bunch of taxes I had to pay). If the company handt done it, they would have sent the clubs to a local customs office where I would have had to open them infront of customs officers (been there, done that!). Because I payed the company, they opened it and closed the packet right away without anyone from customs actually looking at them. But they charge for this "service".

Bingo. :D

If it's genuine, it's not contraband. Why would they confiscate it? I mean customs assumed it was genuine and taxed it accordingly as it was.

ever heared of parallel imports? Its ILLEGAL. Its also ILLEGAL to buy a PS3 from Japan, they will confiscate it (if they feel like it, sometimes they dont. sometimes they tax you, sometimes they dont - seems like they can do whatever they want). Why do you8 think Sony shut down lik sang? Because they sold products that were NOT SUPPOSED to be for the european market to europeans. But last time I said this out loud, Kenberg basically told me to go fock myself, because I was hurting his sales in his opinion

My brother confirmed that titanium head drivers are not magnetic, at least his clubs are not.

Have a look here: www.callawaygolf.com/uk.cg.ContactUs.ContactUsNineWays.html

It mentions the clubs that should not be magnetic in that link.

If the club head was some kind of alloy, depending on the ratio, the clubs may still be magnetic.

Cheers :D

because of that, its quite obivious, that the clubs arnt even good copys. If they were, they were made out of titanium. They are cheap lousy [censored], and nothing more! Like a lacoste shirt with a monkey emblem instead of a crocodile. This guy better make sure he closes his shop before I visit my buddy in Hong Kong!

Post some pictures please, I really would like to see what you paid for. I am sure others would too. :)

You wont be able to see anything on the pictures, but you can tell the clubs are lousy [censored] when you hold them in your hands. They do not look and feel like 2000$ irons! Way too many imperfections. The clubs are at my friends house now, because he also ordered 2 sets.

If you dont believe what I say, then buy some yourself. All I can tell you is they are 10000% fake. Period.

Also do not drag this thread in the same direction as the thread on TRC.

I was merely stating standart custom procedure as I KNOW it and as the LAWS are. That was it!

I still can't get my head round the fact that, of all the people who could have ordered, it was you that did. You totally killed the other thread on TRC, with negatives about the ordering/customs issues etc....... :rolleyes:

Then you lay down over $2000, and your friend about the same probably, if he got two full sets, without even buying a sample club or two first? That's crazy dude :cc_confused: :crazy:

I still can't get my head round the fact that, of all the people who could have ordered, it was you that did. You totally killed the other thread on TRC, with negatives about the ordering/customs issues etc....... :rolleyes:

Then you lay down over $2000, and your friend about the same probably, if he got two full sets, without even buying a sample club or two first? That's crazy dude :cc_confused: :crazy:

I always said I wanted a set of clubs. I just wanted people to be aware that there are things that could go wrong. I was not the one who started insulting other people, as a matter of fact I did not even insult back.

I ordered a full set of clubs, because I trusted people on this forum who said they reviewed the guy and who had "friends" that bought clubs from him. I based my purchase on trust I had in other people.

I know that. But I also know that its possible to get these things from the factories (at least in some cases&small quantities). The guy did not make the wholesaler impression on me. I also have no idea whether he got the fully assembled clubs straight from the factory or did it himself.

Im sticking my neck out here but I promise you , you cannot get Grey imports , parallell imports from golf companies like Callaway or Titleist etc

You might be lucky to have a pal in the factory who steals a set and then looses his job but certainly not set up a web site and start marketing all major Brands for sale.It doesnt happen.Wont happen ,Cant happen.

Quit dreaming...

Look at it another way , Golf is becoming more and more popular in China as wealth creation increases .Just like Japan in the early 80`s.If you go to a golf shop in China genuine Callway,Nike clubs are expensive but made "apparently" in China maybe a few miles away.

Dont you think if it was possible to get them from the factory every Chinese Tom , D ick and Harry would be there saving them selves a few thousand yuan ?? Word would spread like wildfire..

Quit dreaming..

TomH

Edited by TomH

Im sticking my neck out here but I promise you , you cannot get Grey imports , parallell imports from golf companies like Callaway or Titleist etc

You might be lucky to have a pal in the factory who steals a set and then looses his job but certainly not set up a web site and start marketing all major Brands for sale.It doesnt happen.Wont happen ,Cant happen.

Quit dreaming...

TomH

Well, I didnt know that its not possible for callaway clubs. How should I know? I got stuff from factorys that produce the real deal in the past (also big brands). Now I know that you wont get original golf clubs from china. Lesson learned!

Kenberg also said he would get the real iPhone for much less from the same factory that produces the real deal IIRC and he seemed to be quite sure about that aswell!

I mean you should know that you can get real stuff for much much less. The Polos you&me got from that site where also very cheap and the real deal (at least the guy claimed it and they are top quality, so even if they arnt, you couldnt tell)

I ordered a full set of clubs, because I trusted people on this forum who said they reviewed the guy and who had "friends" that bought clubs from him. I based my purchase on trust I had in other people.

I see nobody in this thread that has reviewed or purchased anything from this particular seller. At no time did anybody have the clubs in hand, to tell if they were the real deal. Even Kenberg was saying that it was a good idea to order a single club, to check the product first.

I was going to purchase a club, but my situation changed and I no longer had the cash spare. I would never dream of laying out a massive amount of cash, with no idea what I might receive.

You live and learn I suppose :)

I still would like to see pictures of the clubs though, just so my brother could have a look, he is a golf pro after all....

I see nobody in this thread that has reviewed or purchased anything from this particular seller. At no time did anybody have the clubs in hand, to tell if they were the real deal. Even Kenberg was saying that it was a good idea to order a single club, to check the product first.

I was going to purchase a club, but my situation changed and I no longer had the cash spare. I would never dream of laying out a massive amount of cash, with no idea what I might receive.

You live and learn I suppose :)

I still would like to see pictures of the clubs though, just so my brother could have a look, he is a golf pro after all....

Kenberg told me that bigsheep was suggested to him by a member of this forum who has done a lot of homework on the site and who has a friend that has ordered clubs from BigSheep.

I will send you pics tomorrow or so. Now I'll go and check myself into a bar and have some drinks to forget the chinese bastard!

Slay, exactly which model of Callaway irons did you order? Not all Callaway irons are made with titanium. In fact, most models are cast stainless except for the X-Tour forged models. Examine the hozel of your 8 iron to see if there is a serial number present. (This can be photographed if you decide to post pictures).

Ok first up I pulled out because I wasn't happy with whole deal so none of this is to do with me but just some quick facts....

(1) From the get go I recommended that only one (1) club be bought to check quality

(2) I stated way back at the start that all clubs will be subject to import duties

(3) Intellectual protery means nothing in China, hey just look at your wrist

(4) 90% of the worlds golf equipment does in fact come from China

Couple the above infomation with many hours of research and yes there are genuine clubs coming out the back door, the question here is does this guy have the connections he claims, he's been selling for a long time and as Slay says has a big positive feedback rating on eBay, so you do the math.

Ken

I've bought a few bits and pieces golf wise from China. A Titleist Cameron Futura putter and a set of Ping G5 irons.

The quality of the components was good but the lie angle of the shaft was completely wrong - the putter head stood with the toe pointing skyward - fine for Jumbo Osaki but not for me. A quick blast with the heat gun and a dab of epoxy soon sorted that out.

The Pings - for

Slay, exactly which model of Callaway irons did you order? Not all Callaway irons are made with titanium. In fact, most models are cast stainless except for the X-Tour forged models. Examine the hozel of your 8 iron to see if there is a serial number present. (This can be photographed if you decide to post pictures).

the ones I ordered are supposed to be made of titanium (fusion wide sole). They have a serial number, but that does not prove anything. My submariner has a serialnumber also. So do ALL of my fake watches. At least fake watches are made out of real titanium!!

Slay are your clubs the X-Tour forged models?

Ken

Edit; not that I doubt your infallible wisdom slay but his 839 ebay customers all gave him positive feedback, you may want to inspect those clubs a little closer before you dump them.