When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DuPont lighters - yet again!

Chronus

Ok, this is probably a very naive and stupid question. I've finally got the money to get the gas adapter and butane gas and I've filled up the lighter. I also replaced the flint with a genuine one - but the space for the reserve flint was too small for the ones I have!

I was under the impression that when you flick the cap open, there is a flame, but this does not happen. I have to turn the gas reservoir thing. Kind of like the "bullet" on the 007 lighters, and then it will light.

Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

Any advice and info is welcome... I'm a non-smoker so don't really know how these things are supposed to work!

So, it sounds like when you open it, you have to turn the "bullet" part to light it ? Is this the same on the genuine ?

Exactly the same as the real one: you have to twirl the long cylinder ('the bullet') on the side of the lighter before you get a flame.

Opening the top is just for producing the famous 'ping' (as well as releasing the valve that lets the butane escape into the nozzle).

OK so it appears genuine replacement flints don't fit? If I buy one I should ask dealer for extra rep flints?

Exactly the same as the real one: you have to twirl the long cylinder ('the bullet') on the side of the lighter before you get a flame.

Opening the top is just for producing the famous 'ping' (as well as releasing the valve that lets the butane escape into the nozzle).

Thanks for that info! And I would think other similarly designed lighters would also need the cylinder to be twirled :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have no idea why I decided to give the cylinder a spin... I guess as it's right under the part that strikes the flint, I thought it must have some functionality!

As for flints - unless I buoght the wrong size (off internet - could well be the case!) - the only problem I had was swapping the reserve flints. The genuine one is "fatter" and therefore would not fit in the reserve space, but the "active" flint fit in the channel with no problems, and works a charm.

OK so it appears genuine replacement flints don't fit? If I buy one I should ask dealer for extra rep flints?

The reason I bought genuine flints was reading through posts saying rep flints weren't very good. So first order of business was replace the flints (read my post above for info on genuine flints), get the gas adapter (gasadapter.de I think, he also sells on ebay) and then the butane gas (Newport Extra Purified Butane Lighter Gas) and away you go. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks for the reply, C.

So let me understand this, you bought genuine flints and replaced the flint the lighter came with and it fit properly, yes?

Bear with me, I've never owned a Dupont lighter before.

Thanks for the reply, C.

So let me understand this, you bought genuine flints and replaced the flint the lighter came with and it fit properly, yes?

Bear with me, I've never owned a Dupont lighter before.

Same here, as I don't smoke it waa a very indulgent purchase.

I asked the seller (on eBay) which of the flints I needed for the Ligne 2 lighter I got, and they sent me the flints. And the flint fits properly. :thumbsupsmileyanim: