When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Remember your first time...

jec97t

OK- just got my Explorer 1 from Andrew and it is a beauty. You had to be a AD or die hard RWG to spot any difference.

However, trying to set the thing and I am wondering if I got a dud...

I did they usual...unscrewed the crown, felt a little click, then wound forward and she is ticking and purring well.

BUT, went to the next little click out to set the time, turn it counter clockwise...and nothing-can't get it set. Not only that, the watch's second hand doesn't stop. I thought that was the point of the hacking mechanism. Am i making a mistake here in noob fashion or did I get a dud.

Please advise, in a relatively light flame way.

Thanks

JEC

:wounded1:

first off, i'm still a noob (even though i've been at this for 9+ months) and not familiar with what movement is in the explorer 1, but have you tried to see if you pull the crown further (it will take some force, but don't yank it too hard) to see if there is another click? the explorer 1 doesn't have a date, but the movement may still have 'two clicks,' in which case you will need to pull out the crown further to hack the movement and set the time.

hope this helps,

deltatahoe

I have an Explorer 1 (1016) from Andrew and you have to pull the stem out two clicks to adjust the time, first click does nothing the crown just spins freely and the second hand still moves, second click is a bit stiffer but not real bad, then the second hand stops and I can adjust the time normally. Two clicks back in, screw the crown back and bingo. It has ETA movement.

Hope this is some help GOOD LUCK.

dieselpower.

OK- just got my Explorer 1 from Andrew and it is a beauty. You had to be a AD or die hard RWG to spot any difference.

However, trying to set the thing and I am wondering if I got a dud...

I did they usual...unscrewed the crown, felt a little click, then wound forward and she is ticking and purring well.

BUT, went to the next little click out to set the time, turn it counter clockwise...and nothing-can't get it set. Not only that, the watch's second hand doesn't stop. I thought that was the point of the hacking mechanism. Am i making a mistake here in noob fashion or did I get a dud.

Please advise, in a relatively light flame way.

Thanks

JEC

:wounded1:

Your movement is a three position movement for the date setting function. The problem can be fixed with modification or ordering the proper part from a supply house. I did the mod myself. I don't know what caliber you have in your watch. I modified a 2824-2, but the principle is the same with a 2836-2 as well.

check HERE

• 2 weeks later...

BTW-THE WATHC IS SO GOOD-I took it into a jeweler who services Rolex, Patek, VC, etc...he said this was a BEAUTIFUL watch and he much preferred it understated elegance to alot of the monsters out thier today that will not fit with a dress shirt under a suit. AWESOME...BTW-this was a jeweler who retails in arguably one of the most affluent zip codes in America...

You guys were right...I just needed a little more force. I have it set and it is purring.

One question...The movement looks pretty good but it I had the watch cleaned, lubed, and serviced could I expect a better run of the second hand? I have heard it is not a terrible idea to have this done anyway as these movement are puchased in mass and are a little stale.

I have an Explorer 1 (1016) from Andrew and you have to pull the stem out two clicks to adjust the time, first click does nothing the crown just spins freely and the second hand still moves, second click is a bit stiffer but not real bad, then the second hand stops and I can adjust the time normally. Two clicks back in, screw the crown back and bingo. It has ETA movement.

Hope this is some help GOOD LUCK.

dieselpower.