When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question for SMP 2541.80 quartz

tonibari

Through a rookie mistake I ended up with the dial for a SMP 2541.80.

218415-15149.jpg

Now I was wondering if the Omega quartz movements are also based on ETA movements? If yes, which one will fit the 2541.80, and would that movement fit into a case that takes an ETA 2824. Not an automatic, but as the first Bond it should be a good daily better down the line.

Thanks for any help

The date window on this dial is in the wrong place to match up with an ETA28xx/Omega Cal.1120 series movements. Take a close look and you will see the 3 o'clock marker is bigger on the quartz versions as the datewheel is set closer to the centre of the watch.

The date window on this dial is in the wrong place to match up with an ETA28xx/Omega Cal.1120 series movements. Take a close look and you will see the 3 o'clock marker is bigger on the quartz versions as the datewheel is set closer to the centre of the watch.

I understand that part, but what about the quartz movement? Are they ETA based and if yes, which one is the omega equivalent?

Edited by tonibari

the quartz movement for the Omega seamaster quartz is called Omega 1538 caliber. It is also based off a ETA movement - you will have to do some research as I can't remember the name of it now.

However, this project is more or less not worth it. You will have to purchase quartz hands and you don't know if how thin the quartz movement is, if its too thin for the replica case, the stem won't function properly. This project seems to be more of a testing water than anything else.

good luck

the quartz movement for the Omega seamaster quartz is called Omega 1538 caliber. It is also based off a ETA movement - you will have to do some research as I can't remember the name of it now.

However, this project is more or less not worth it. You will have to purchase quartz hands and you don't know if how thin the quartz movement is, if its too thin for the replica case, the stem won't function properly. This project seems to be more of a testing water than anything else.

good luck

Thank you for the quick response, I thought there might be issues with the fit in the rep case. I'll stay a way from this project for a while.

Uhm, why not go for the correct dial?

I modded my smp with gen dial & hands and it looks great!

That does look smart. I've always been of the opinion though that, apart from the slightly undersized date window, the dial was one of the strongest features of the best ETA2824 SMP rep - strong wave pattern and excellent lume. The later dials were a disappointment with the oversized depth printing, incorrect 'Professional Chronometer' font for the model (actually the font used on the black one) and then latterly the total deletion of the 3'oclock marker. It disappoints me sometimes the way rep quality often deteriorates when a model sells well - no incentive to improve.

It disappoints me sometimes the way rep quality often deteriorates when a model sells well - no incentive to improve.

When it first was released the SMP was considered one of the most accurate reps available. The rep I received was not that impressive anymore (HEV at 10, mid quality dial, screws in bracelet etc). Swapping dial & hands got this rep back on my wrist, but costed E 140,- + shipping - almost the same as what the rep costs. Too bad for the money, but fun to do!

Thank you for the quick response, I thought there might be issues with the fit in the rep case. I'll stay a way from this project for a while.

Definitely keep the dial - It may come in handy in the future. You may find a broken replica Seamaster and you can have a try and see if you can get it to work.

And for your information. The Omega 1538 movement is based off the ETA 255.461, which will set you back around $89. You will then pay around $50 for the hands, so you are looking at a pretty expensive project.