When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Chronomat Evolution, History and Review

chrgod

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
Seems as tho Sash is selling an EVO with what seems to be a more authentic font.... 1's have sharifs as opposed to the stick ones.... if the photo is correct. Anyone have this version????

I bought one from Josh and it has the new serif font. The watch feels very substantial and looks great!!

234545-11481.jpg

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys!

I bought one from Josh and it has the new serif font. The watch feels very substantial and looks great!!

Nice watch, Jawo. That is the Mark I edition of the Evolution, with darker hands and different datefont. Looks like the subdials on yours have a more silvery finish also, compared to mine. Cool. :) I considered to have a picture of that version in my review, but obmitted it to keep a text/picture balance.. Since you have the same white dial version as me, I would like to use your picture for a side-by-side comparison in my review? ( PM sent) :)

Another interesting thing is that yours are missing the tiny minute marker close to the "10" on the 12 o'clock subdial. I remember that this was one of the last issues that a forum member pointed out to PT, just before the final go of the "Ultimate BCE"..

Here is another view of mine, to compare with yours:

234584-11476.jpg

In an update to this post, I would say that the watch has received more wristtime than I had expected.. It is an amazing watch, and feels very solid.

By the way.. My four years old niece are asthonished by my watch, and I have now learnt her how to spell Breitling... :p

234584-11477.jpg

As already said a really interesting and comprehensive review. I have always liked the Chronomat, and the current offering is a good replica but I personally feel too big and bulky for my taste. The previous Chronomat model however I love and am still toying with buying an original, as all the reps offered are poor which is a shame. You could never accuse Breitling of understating.

Thanks Johnkaz.

• 2 weeks later...

I have updated the review, with pictures of "Ultimate generation 1", the quartz-Chronomat replica and the new rose gold and two tone versions. :)

PT has just announced the new grey dial with proper black subdial, so this is added to the guide..

Some of the older members will remember the old 7750, with "Breitling" decorated rotor. This is not used in the newest BCE, but I have added a picture of it, just for reference.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for keeping this up to date...

Angis new gray is a much better match to the Gen gray dial.

Still the concentric circles on the dial are still lacking, on the Gray gen they are VERY obvious.

Cheers,

M

You concentric circle guys got me so paranoid about those things that I actually went to an AD after work today to take a look @ a gen. It's true my eye's ain't what they used to be, but even with the salesman looking at me like I was some kind of kook staring at the dial like I was looking for the DaVinci Code, I just can't call them obvious, or even noticeable as either concentric or even circles. The dial shines differently where the circles are, which I believe is the whole idea behind them, but so does the rep. I fully respect the opinion of my eagle eyed pals, but I'm filing this one under "The 20X Trap:" Flaws that are "dead giveaways" in 105mm Super Macro shots....but absolute non-issues on the wrist.

If someone comes out w/ a DW and if the Chinese suddenly enter a fit and finish revolution, I might vaguely worry about the dial, but the former are far more easily spottable than the latter.

You concentric circle guys got me so paranoid about those things that I actually went to an AD after work today to take a look @ a gen. It's true my eye's ain't what they used to be, but even with the salesman looking at me like I was some kind of kook staring at the dial like I was looking for the DaVinci Code, I just can't call them obvious, or even noticeable as either concentric or even circles. The dial shines differently where the circles are, which I believe is the whole idea behind them, but so does the rep. I fully respect the opinion of my eagle eyed pals, but I'm filing this one under "The 20X Trap:" Flaws that are "dead giveaways" in 105mm Super Macro shots....but absolute non-issues on the wrist.

If someone comes out w/ a DW and if the Chinese suddenly enter a fit and finish revolution, I might vaguely worry about the dial, but the former are far more easily spottable than the latter.

I suppose the ring-pattern on the dial is one of those things you either are hung up on, or don't really bother about..

On the genuine, I find that the pattern add a very nice "depth" and sparkle to the dial. Like on this gen:

245602-8647.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi chrgod

This review has been amazingly helpful, packed with history and information. I was thinking of getting an evolution as my next replica and your information has confirmed it. I was thinking of the two tone with bracelet, but now I have seen it on your wrist, the brown strap looks very appealing. On question though. The newest reps use the new 7750 Asian rep that I have in a Hublot Big Bang. I would want this watch to be a keeper too but is the STA 7750 at $900 better than the Asian at $350? Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks again for the research and help :thumbsupsmileyanim:

David

Here's a pic I shot of my neighbours genuine white Evo for reference (white paper in the background).

As you can see the dial is silverish and not white. The Mark I is more accurate when it comes to the right colour white (the creamy white has more resemblance to the silverish dial).

254073-6753.jpg

Edited by Rolexman

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A lot has happened on the BCE scene the last weeks, so I did a little update to include the release of the two-tone bracelet and the new dials with Arabic numbers.

For some reason, there seem to be yet another maker of the Chronomat Evolution now. the "Fecce Tricolore" Chronomat Evo rep seems to be from a different factory .. with bad pearl and no AR.

I also included some pictures of the new, decorated movements that the watches seems to be fitted with now. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Very, very nice. I wonder if a BCE would make a nice Christmas present for my wife. I'd have to wear it occasionally too, of course.

• 1 month later...