When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2893 Movement Source?

TJGladeRaider

I am sick and tired of GMT JUNK, and even if Ziggy had not published various evaluations of the GMT movements, nobody would have to tell me that the 2893 GMT is VASTLY superior to the modified 2836.

Does anyone happen to know of a good source for 2893 movements. I have searched the web and e-bay (I found the ones on EBay with the hour ewheel missing), but someone, somewhere must sell these things new.

Have any of our watch smythe gurus installed many of the the 2893s where they watch came with 2836?

Bill

I have a catalog from jules borel co. they have a 2893-2 listed for $182.15 you may want to give them a call.

www.julesborel.com

Thank you very kindly - they didn't show up in my google search for some reason.

Looks like $165 ea for 5 of them and I found a hand stack for $25 so this may be doable, but the mark up must be extraordinary since you can buy entire watches (same movement and hands) brand new for not much more than that. In fact, that may be another option. Buy some of those scratch and dent steinharts, and switch the guts out.

I look forward to hearing what the watch smythe gurus say.

Bill

I'm with you Bill, but I need to locate one on the cheap, the ole rep budget is getting a little thin!

Lately, I have been sending batches of my MBWs to Ziggy for lume and gen crowns/tubes. THAT damn sure gets expensive when you do the watches four or five at a time.

On the other hand, he does the most incredible work.

Bill

I am sick and tired of GMT JUNK, and even if Ziggy had not published various evaluations of the GMT movements, nobody would have to tell me that the 2893 GMT is VASTLY superior to the modified 2836.

Does anyone happen to know of a good source for 2893 movements. I have searched the web and e-bay (I found the ones on EBay with the hour ewheel missing), but someone, somewhere must sell these things new.

Have any of our watch smythe gurus installed many of the the 2893s where they watch came with 2836?

Bill

My sources for 2893-2's have them listed at over $300 each, but these are brand new factory sealed units.

I have (if memory serves me well) replaced a 2824-2 with a 2893-2 in a PAM GMT. I can't remember the GMT hand sizes but I suspect it was replaced, I think the 2836 basterdized models have much larger hand sizes than the ETA has.

The 2836-2 replacement with a 2892 series does not work, since the thickness variation places the stem hole out of alignment with the case.

RG

• 1 month later...

WOW, i just talked with my watch smith guy today and he can get the 2893-2 for $225 factory sealed. I'm also in the process of doing a transplant on a pam63 but was unsure about the hands fitting on the 2893-2 i was told that the GMT hand will not fit. Can anyone confirm this?

i was going to get the genuine pam63 hands but can think of a better way to spend $350 does anybody have any suggestions for the GMT hand?

Bean

So The Zigmeister, just to make sure I understand what you said, you can't replace a 2836 Based GMT with a 2893-2 movement? :huh:

Yes you can, ive done it. I got a PAM 63 case which was from a PAM 63 with ETA 2836 modified GMT and put in an ETA 2893-2 movement, Lello datewheel and hands from repaustria (originally from davidsen).

It can be done!!

So Ziggy, just to make sure I understand what you said, you can't replace a 2836 Based GMT with a 2893-2 movement? :huh:

Did I say that?

I did replace a 2836-2 in a PAM GMT with a 2893-2 model, so that seems to be a possible modification... I can't remember the details on the hands, since the rep GMT hand does not fit the ETA 2893-2. But I did the work a while back, just can't remember who it was for, or the details.

It was quite straight forward and not that difficult.

RG

Did I say that?

I did replace a 2836-2 in a PAM GMT with a 2893-2 model, so that seems to be a possible modification... I can't remember the details on the hands, since the rep GMT hand does not fit the ETA 2893-2. But I did the work a while back, just can't remember who it was for, or the details.

It was quite straight forward and not that difficult.

RG

Rob - that was me. One of my prized possessions! :v:

• 7 months later...

I'm looking at doing this same modification with the 029 and just starting to gather the parts together now but I'm not too sure on the hands.

Reading this the rep 2836-2 hands will not fit onto the 2893-2 movement..Is there a place to get the correct hands that will fit.?

Also Tourby are you still selling the 2893 movements.?

2893-2 decorated and limited (overworked from swiss SOPROD factory. SOPROD overwork also 2893-2 GMT movement for PANERAI)

brand new from ETA switzerland. Full decorated. $229.

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/to...0GMT%20limited/

my new batch should arrived end of this week.

hey T,

any chance of getting the same mvt that is in the PAM027 A? 2892-A2 with the soprod module for the PR?

regards,

V

P.S.

not so long ago I bought one 2893.2 from a member of the forum for 170$...

Edited by dadog13

hey guys... this post is 8 months ago... the prices for ETA movements rised up 200% - 250% :black_eye:

a genuine SOPROD 2893-2 GMT (same in genuine Panerai) which i had offer for $229 would cost today approx $450 :lol:

Wow...they should trade options on ETA movements in New York. I was depressed that I bought a 2893-2 for 10 bucks at a flea market and then had to shell out $160 in pats and labor to get it working. Now I'm not feeling so dumb.

I know the hands can be made to fit (or easily sourced). What I'm about to find out is whether or not the movement ring is also moddable since the above movement is going into a 2836 63 case.

If the cost of movements ever goes down or the chinese start making modules for their 2892's, someone could make a tidy little bundle selling movement rings for folks to swap out 2836's in PAMs and Rolexes.

I hate to ask the going rate for the 2892 movement....I need some of those as well for some projects...especially for the prices really get stupid..

when you can get it

ETA 2892-A2 or 2893-2 movements are like white elephants...

it exist only some in standard version

but i had the SOPROD versions (different finish, chronometer quality, higher cannion pin)... same like used from PANERAI

but you stupid guys don