When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer I

Mark Eleven

I like the design of Explorer - clean & classic design.

231790-11959.jpg

In fact, I am thinking of getting one.... but I'm quite concern and worried abt the 36mm diameter being too small, as I am so used to wearing Sub and Speedy Pro which is 40mm and 42mm respectively.

Do you think Explorer I at 36mm is small in view of the bigger watch trend nowadays?

The 114270 may indeed seem a bit small at 36mm- Especially with today's trends. Even compared to a 16610 Sub, it may seem small as the Sub will be a bit bigger- thicker, wider, heavier, etc. plus the poportions are different- Caseback sits different and the bezel is more substantial, all lending to a bigger 'feeling' watch. If you have a DJ or DD, I'd compare to one of those as it feels about the same with regards to wrist presence...

I admit that I am not a "big watch" nut but rather wear a lot of 40-42mm watches....Subs and the like, SMP, etc.

To me, the smaller size of the Explorer is part of the clean and classic look..it is what it is.

With the oyster band, it totals up to a fair chunk of metal and is in no danger of getting lost on your wrist. I think it it looks very well balanced size-wise.

I also like wearing the Exp1 with a long sleeve shirt and a sportcoat, where an MBW DRSD or even a mod Sub makes a huge bulge and gets caught up on the cuff.

I love mine and I'd recommend it without hesitation. A CLASSIC!

I think if you do some research you will find that dial size of Explorer I is a tad smaller than a Submariner and a tad bigger than a SeaDweller. The cases of these watches may be bigger, but the actual watch face on all of them are about the same size, around 30mm. It is a great understated look.

I have an Explorer I and love it and would not be without it. I generally prefer watches 40mm and under.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mark,

It is smaller but still a substansial and attractive watch. I own one and I must say as a professional, it you are wearing cuffed shirts i cant imagine anything bigger.

Avoid the trend, if you want a sport watch that is fine, but this is one of the ONLY stainless jobs that can go from casual to dress and for that reason it is a versatile, worthwhile addition to any collection.

JEC

• 2 years later...
I think if you do some research you will find that dial size of Explorer I is a tad smaller than a Submariner and a tad bigger than a SeaDweller. The cases of these watches may be bigger, but the actual watch face on all of them are about the same size, around 30mm. It is a great understated look.

I have an Explorer I and love it and would not be without it. I generally prefer watches 40mm and under.

Apologies for bumping an old thread but it's the only one I could find that referred to what I was looking for!

I was just wondering if the 30mm dial was the size that the full-size (36mm?) datejust's used?

Thanks for any help you can give :)

The gen is ridiculously priced. I dunno how it is now it used to be almost the same as 16610 and 16710! :eek:

I'm not a fan of XXXL watches, either... but ExpI is just way too small for me. Always liked it though.

Have you read sd4k's review of the rep ExpI? Classic stuff.

The gen is ridiculously priced. I dunno how it is now it used to be almost the same as 16610 and 16710! :eek:

I'm not a fan of XXXL watches, either... but ExpI is just way too small for me. Always liked it though.

Have you read sd4k's review of the rep ExpI? Classic stuff.

Thanks for the great link to sd4000's review! :D