When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I think I've killed my project watch

TeeJay

Even stranger update. Emboldened by the watch getting a 2nd Wind, and reading Edge's guide to disassembling a Submariner, I decided to go for broke and change the dial. I got the crown out, movement and dial out, hands off, dial off, all without problem. The dial was not a perfect fit, but a little filing of the edges, and it soon fit. The hands weren't too bad to get back on (I'm pretty pleased with myself that I did all this without a loupe) I then put the movement back in the case and re-inserted the crown. The watch started straight away, so I put the back on, and thought a job well done. But. The movement then began as it had been yesterday. Running for a few seconds in a face down position, but stopping in any other position. I'll take some pics tomorrow to show how the dial swap went, but I'm very pleased with the results. So pleased infact, I shall be going back to the jewellers tomorrow, re-claiming my Planet Oceans, and doing the movement swap myself (and leaving the project watch to be examined) If that's as easy to swap as this was, I'll soon have my Black PO back on my wrist :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The Green slot is the top of the shock jewel assembly. I believe you tightened it down enough to contact the top of the balance wheel, but hopefully not enough to distort the end. Try backing (counter-clockwise) off the screw very slightly; approximately to where it started or ever so slightly further. It just may relieve the pressure on the balance wheel and allow it to rotate normally. Good luck to you!!

Edit: It is also possible that the jewel is pressed in place and that you pushed it down on the top of the balance wheel. If that is the case, you may be able to have a watchmaker press it back out (this will require disassembly). It still sounds like all is not lost since the watch runs while it is upside down.

Edited by dtimm

Sorry for TeeJay, but I have to say I learnt a lot from this thread! :blink:

Thanks to all who posted.

I was so proud of myself the first time I pulled hands and re-mounted them sucessfully. When I got a loupe, I saw what a scratched up mess I had made of the hands and the dial. It really makes you appreciate the skill and touch a master has when working in this micro world. I'm still something of a bear with a club but I'm getting better. Strong light is the best tool and don't forget proper bench height so you can prop rest those elbows just right.