When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW Rolex Submariner 16610: Pictorial/Review

Stephane

Dear All,

First, if you have the kindness to reply to this thread, please do not hit quote or reply because there are about 30 pictures in my own post and it would make the thread very heavy to load and unpleasant to read. Please be kind to use Post Reply or to edit what you quote so the pictures are removed.  ;)

I sincerely hope to get as much tips as possible from Sub experts about eventually having this MBW modeed.

I now own several subs reps of various categories of prices and the real dream is of course to own a MBW:

- a 40$ one from some mysterious Chinese eBay seller

800submariner0115.jpg

- a 149$ So Called Perfect from Paul

SubSoCalledPerfect_800_01.jpg

- a 458$ Ultimate from Andrew.

rolexsubultimate_800_02.jpg

I intend to go for a TW best too but my first choice and opportunity was MBW as I was pushed to it by some reference members.

It comes from TTK. It's a Modern Sub 16610 and here is my pictorial of it.

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_02.jpg

About the deal

Not easy to comment the deal as it was a group buy. It doesn't really make sense but I like non sense  :p

As usual with group buys some members pay fast some needs more time (which is understandable of course).

It was kind of frustating to wait to get the watch, but I must say that, at the end, TTK is a great "collector" and delivers.

If you read this and never dealt with TTK, you should be aware that you need to learn how to communicate with him.

Once you know, things are much easier than with any other "collector" :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It's my opinion and though I know not everybody will share it, I do confirm that he is a gentleman.

About the gen

Brand: Rolex

Series: Submariner

Model No: 16610

Size: 40 mm (the MBW is closer to 41 crown excluded but teeth of bezel included   :mellow: )

Case Material: Stainless Steel

Dial Color: Black

Bracelet / Strap: Stainless Steel

Movement: Automatic

Bezel: Unidirectional rotating bezel 120 clicks

Crystal: Scratch Resistant Sapphire

Crown: Screw Down

Case Back: Solid

Water Resistant: 300m/1000ft.

Price range: 4.000 $ / 3.000 for second hand and 5.300 $ / 3.900 New

Here is a picture of a gen I've stolen from RWG member, Watcher.

RwgWatchersSub.jpg

Here the wrist shot of the MBW

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_01_800.jpg

About TTK's MBW

It's powered by an Eta 2836-2.

First impressions

When I first hold it I said to myself "hey this is really different I'm must admit", but wasn't too sure it was a good sign.

Then I sized it and, nice surprise, had no troubles at all with any screws (tested them all just for fun).

I removed the spring bars to shoot Polex and that was not quite easy as one of them seemed to be of a very poor quality. I changed it and everything is fine now.

What is also a big difference is when you set time and date it's much more smooth in one way but also you feel very confident in the solidity of the crown in the other. Screwing down the crown back is perfectly smooth too.

Some details

- Dial: pretty damn close to gen IMO although it sounds the noobmariner one is better according to some expert members.

- Rehaut: is conical, yes, but no so much and it is deep.

- Case back: it's thicker than regular Sub Reps. Gives it a more "solid feeling" when opening.

The inside is the Shitinerand engraved version.

- Magnification: I have no idea if it's precisely 2.5 but it's the best one I've seen so far.

- The cyclop position is right (not too far right I mean of course, correct in fact).

- Date: very well aligned in height, but some dates are not in width. I'll show you some dates in the pictures so you can comment the font.

- Bezel: it's made of another material than my other subs and I have no idea if it's correct but assume it will get a gen insert probably anyway.

- The pearl: looks also good to me.

- Crown: The crown is only 5 mm which seems to be inaccurate as I read it should be 7 mm.

- CG: The CG are a bit too fat but much lesser than other reps and they are covering the crown not so wrongly. It would cover perfectly a 7 mm crown though.

- Bracelet: it's a solid mid link version which is not correct but better for the overall weight.

Conclusion

Great purchase from TTK.

No regrets in my choice of this MBW Sub which is a much better value for money than any other of my Subs. :D

Putting any $ in something else is not a good idea even for a noob, unless it's a budget matter.

A 250$ Sub will never be as good as this MBW that costs only 100$ more as we got them at 350$ in the group buy.

I'll wait for my 3 other MBW to arrive and then decide with which one I'll start the mods. 

I would be delighted if you could give me an advice: 16610 - 1680 - GMT Master II - 1655 Great White ?

My guess is 1680 will be your favourite!

Thanks for reading, and now let's see the pictures.

Pictorial

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_01.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_01B.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_02.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_02B.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_04.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_04B.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_05.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_06.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_07.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_08.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_09.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_10.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_11.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_12.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_14.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_25.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_15.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_17.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_16.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_18.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_21.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_23.jpg

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_24.jpg

AND FINALY THE POLEX

RolexSubmariner16610_MBW_800_26.jpg

Links

Sorry for other members, but there are so many Sub threads that I decided to go for a generic of a well know member, By-Tor.

By-Tor started a "Tribute To Rep Submariners. Let's See The Classics!, The most hated/loved rep ever" that you can find

HERE

A member posted a link to a video by Richard, author of the Replica Watch Report, that compares Gen vs Rep (while looking at the gen presented and looking at my MBW, although there are mods needed on a MBW, I personally can see that much difference): hxxp://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=1146346587689437065&q=rolex+watch

Another member posted this link to the history of subs by an Italian with tons of pics. As I discovered it lately I wanted to bump it:

hxxp://www.rumiz.it/subs.html

(Please remove the xx and replace with tt as mentioned in the upgrade forum rules that you can find HERE)

Stephane,

Very nice review and pictorial. I think you are correct in your advice. MBW's are the way to go. As for mods, aside from the crown and tube, the 16610 MBW is fine as is. I think the nost aesthetic mods are to the vintage pieces. Especially drilling the band and cases to accept the Gen spring bars. Nothing says Rolex like seeing those rounded springbar ends inside the lugholes....just MHO of course.

Good luck and keep us all posted as yopur mods progress.

Regards,

Kurt.

Very nicely done & great photos, Stephane! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Congratulations, you are the proud owner of the "best Sub"! :1a:

The TW Best or MBW are terrific and by no small margin, have a superior case.

All I have done to my TW (old version with the side case holes) is install an OEM insert and spring bars. Other small details have been to polish the inner ring, bezel & case, lubricate the bracelet. and clean the inside of the crystal. It's not perfect but the TW looks fantastic and has terrific presence on the wrist.

With regard to the TW GMT Master and MBW 1680 & 1665, I highly recommend all three. The TW GMT with the 2893-2 is a stunner with a fantastic movement, case and super thick sapphire crystal. With regard to the vintage sport models, both are excellent platforms from which to build but I'll give the nod to the 1665 for its massive case.

Thanks for sharing!

good stuff, stephane. I have one coming from TTK too. I was hoping you have more shots of the CGs. The reason is George's batch of MBW 16610 (at least the LV) looks like the top CG's bottom has a bad cut. From the side pic of yours, the CGs look fine. Thank God. I know very well what things to improve on this watch:

- the cyclop has too much magnification just like the TW Best from River. I changed that on my TW Best already. I bought Toni's legendary MBW 16610 LV (modded by palpatine). Its cyclop also has too much mag. I now have 2 MBW to change their cyclops.

- replace the insert pearl. watchmaterial's inserts have really good pearl, shinny and has good lume.

- put a noobmariner bracelet on it. My TW Best and MBW LV both have it. The fit is unbelievably, as if it's made for the heads.

- changed to a longer second hand. Same problem in TW Best.

- sand the inside of the CGs

- mill the insert thinner so it sits slightly recessed in the bezel. I milled a gen for the TW Best. Gosh I burnt a lot of elbow grease.

the crown looks alright.

Just in case Stephane didn't cover every angle....(phew...how could he not have.....great review AND photos Staphane... ).......here's my photos of the 16610......maybe have some details that people are looking to check....plus it gives me an opprotunity to show off my fotys...:D

237350-10912.jpg

237350-10913.jpg

237350-10914.jpg

237350-10915.jpg

237350-10916.jpg

237350-10917.jpg

237350-10918.jpg

237350-10919.jpg

237350-10920.jpg

Edited by TTK

Again, thanks to all for pointing what should be done.

@TTK: your pics are absolutely stunning; you should send them to Rolex so they can have a nicer web site :brow:

@ALL: i will try to shoot more CG's pictures today (if wife doesn't shout at me "pack your stuff we're moving next week" to often) :winkiss:

cool, stephane. the CGs don't have bad cut on the bottom. nice. looks like they need minimal sanding only.

the date font shouldn't be a problem. it appears bold because the cyclop mag is too much. my tw best's date font used to look that but after i changed the cyclop, it looks alright.

also, the rehaut isn't conical (well a little bit as the gen's is also slightly conical). here's my mbw lv i bought from toni. i doubt the factory changed the rehaut shape.

237490-10847.jpg

237490-10848.jpg

237490-10849.jpg

A member posted a link to a video by Richard, author of the Replica Watch Report, that compares Gen vs Rep (while looking at the gen presented and looking at my MBW, although there are mods needed on a MBW, I personally can see that much difference): hxxp://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=1146346587689437065&q=rolex+watch

Another member posted this link to the history of subs by an Italian with tons of pics. As I discovered it lately I wanted to bump it:

hxxp://www.rumiz.it/subs.html

(Please remove the xx and replace with tt as mentioned in the upgrade forum rules that you can find HERE)

No need to do that with your links, buddy. Shortly after I posted the rules, I tweaked the forum software so that all links posted will automatically be anonymized ;)

Other than that; Greate review! :tu:

No need to do that with your links, buddy. Shortly after I posted the rules, I tweaked the forum software so that all links posted will automatically be anonymized ;)

Other than that; Greate review! :tu:

Hi Admin,

Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers

Stephane

• 2 weeks later...