When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Navitimer (Quartz)

dlgates

Breitling Navitimer (Quartz)

Received from Malaysian scam site, August 2004

SS; Diameter: 42 mm; fully functioning

I ordered this watch (before finding RWG and TRC) from what turned out to be a Malaysian dealer's web site that changed names frequently and was discussed on both of the boards by various members who had got 'involved' with trying to get a watch they had paid for. It turned that persistence and threats would eventually get one his watch--it took about six weeks for me. My first reaction was the watch looked good but the quartz movement was crappy, and I believe I said so at the time. This is not true: I just had not been educated long enough to learn about how chronograph hands are correctly reset to their zero positions if for some reason they are not aligned properly. Once I learned that trick from helpful fellow members, the watch worked perfectly. I paid $89 for it, I believe, which in retrospect was a fair price. I have actually enjoyed the watch but as someone who has not researched Breitlings for any reason, cannot with any authority comment on the correctness of the replica.

I have just taken this set of pictures, and tomorrow I intend to install a nice dark brown Breitling strap that I bought for it three or four months ago and never got around to using.

21761-1931.jpg

21761-1932.jpg

21761-1933.jpg

21761-1934.jpg

21761-1935.jpg

21761-1936.jpg

21761-1937.jpg

21761-1938.jpg

21761-1939.jpg

21761-1940.jpg

(And yes, I realize I failed to polish the clasp before taking the last picture! I should also have lined up the bezel with the 60 at the top--promise to do better next time.)

Conversion to leather strap in June, 2005

This is the same watch except that I have removed the bracelet and replaced it with a leather strap. The strap was purchased from seller Scotty (who disappeared from the scene back in February, 2005) and turned out to be a 22mm strap when this watch actually required a 20mm. I did a very stupid thing and squeezed the leather when I should instead have used a razor blade and trimmed the edges slightly so they they would fit neatly between the lugs. The bracelet and SELs were difficult to remove, and after forcing the installation of the leather strap and realizing I had caused a bit of damage to the strap in the process, I went ahead and snapped the pictures, but will have to remove the strap again and see if I can do a better job with it. The strap itself looks very good on the watch, in my opinion; unfortunately Scotty sent me the wrong size and I failed to notice.

21761-1941.jpg

21761-1942.jpg

21761-1943.jpg

21761-1944.jpg

21761-1945.jpg

21761-1946.jpg

21761-1947.jpg

21761-1948.jpg

21761-1949.jpg

21761-1950.jpg

I personally prefer the appearance of the watch with the leather and will probably wear it on occasions I would not have before.

--------------------

THE END

Thanks for looking!

• 2 weeks later...