When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Want to put ETA movement in Gen Rolex Oyster 34mm case

I have a Gen Rolex Oyster 34mm case that I want to fit with a movement. I tried standard Rep ETA Datejust movement and it is too large diameter wise. If anybody has done a transplant can you advise me on the size ETA I need.

Thanks much - Cheers

I have a Gen Rolex Oyster 34mm case that I want to fit with a movement. I tried standard Rep ETA Datejust movement and it is too large diameter wise. If anybody has done a transplant can you advise me on the size ETA I need.

Thanks much - Cheers

If you do a search, you will find out all sorts of info. First off, you need to know what Rolex movement your case takes. Is it s 3035 or 3135? Your best bet would be an eta 2824-2 if your case is meant for a 3135 movement.

I've used a 12.5''' eta 12892 movement. The diameter fits the rolex case, but you need a .37mm spacer between the dial and movement in order for the stem to line up with the case tube.

I'm working on a Date model right now, I have everything but the dial as I'm trying to find one that is specific for what I want to build. I'm using a 12892 movement. I had to order replacement 4th wheel, cannon pinion, and hour wheel. You will need a hand fitting height of 3 or 4. I ordered fitting height 5, but I am modding the parts to accept genuine hands.

Feel free to fire me a PM.

Thanks - your post is very helpful and has moved me in the right direction. Cheers

If you do a search, you will find out all sorts of info. First off, you need to know what Rolex movement your case takes. Is it s 3035 or 3135? Your best bet would be an eta 2824-2 if your case is meant for a 3135 movement.

I've used a 12.5''' eta 12892 movement. The diameter fits the rolex case, but you need a .37mm spacer between the dial and movement in order for the stem to line up with the case tube.

I'm working on a Date model right now, I have everything but the dial as I'm trying to find one that is specific for what I want to build. I'm using a 12892 movement. I had to order replacement 4th wheel, cannon pinion, and hour wheel. You will need a hand fitting height of 3 or 4. I ordered fitting height 5, but I am modding the parts to accept genuine hands.

Feel free to fire me a PM.

Here is a couple of quick pics of the movement I have ready to go in my franken 15200. See how nicely it fits in the genuine Rolex case. You gotta love the finish as well! 100% swiss movement! Movement is eta 12892, which is no longer produced. circa 1985, so it is over 20 years old. this movement is NOS and I picked it up for $70 USD. New, never used, but will require a full service and lube job due the age of oil, or lack of. Although, I was told the oil in this movement is synthetic and it should still be fine. Currently the movement is running -2 seconds in Pos. 1. There are a few of these movements out there that are tested to 6 positions and are COCS certified. This one isn't but is looking good so far.

Yes, more costly then a modern 2824-2 if you include the cost of a service, but what I like about this movement is the size, 12.5''', same diameter as Rolex and no need for spacer ring. Also, a larger rotor, so you can really feel it winding. Hand winding is super smooth, and very close the feel of a Rolex movement. I find 2824-2 and 2836-2 movement very stiff to wind. Winding this movement is effortless. Downside is you have to replace cannon pinion, hour wheel, and fourth wheel, but no big deal if you are doing a full service. Parts are available from either Ofrei of Julesborel. I have everything ready to go for this project except the dial.

244869-8773.jpg

• Like 1

Hi - here is a quick update on my progress: I have discovered that the case originally held a Rolex non-date 1570 movement. I sourced an ETA 2836-2 movement and it is a very close to perfect fit diameter wise and the crown and pin are able to fit the movement and screw down into the crown tube. I think this is a good start.

The back of the movement still is short of the case back and I will have to make a spacer or mount the movement with the 2mm by 1mm plates thatscrew onto the movement and protrude out to the edge of the watch case and hold the movement to the case. I am thinking I will make a couple of these pieces as I have the tools and will use a drafting erasure shield as source of metal of the right approximate thickness.

I have an aftermarket TT Oyster bracelet and pristine blue non-date Oyster dial and new hands are on the way.

Thanks for the advice all :thumbsupsmileyanim: - I just started the rep mod thing this month with a dial swap on a Datejust I am not new to watches but have never opened a case until I joined RWG and took upon myself to follow others and try my own mods. I have discovered that the only way to proceed is with infinite patience and plenty of magnification.

Anybody who contemplates a mod should read and re-read threads in the Mods section. The search function offers a great resource and I have used it often. Also, I have read the through the mods section and when I needed specific info posted a question to the forum and received good advice. - Thank you all who replied to my query on this thread !!!

The is the result of this project to date. Cheers

PS - I will post photos of this project at some point.

cool. that movement should work fine for you.

As far as 2x1mm plates, are you thinking of case clamps? These can be bought from ofrei or julesborel. They run about $4.00 each, plus a couple bucks for the screws.

You can use a 2834-2 enlargement ring for a spacer. It will require some modification to fit the case, but it is pretty easy to do. I think vmena is selling an enlargement ring if you don't want to go through julesborell.

Stilty -- Anything here of interest

Well, I'd be interested if they were not redials for $250! and very poor redials at that. the coronet looks nothing like Rolex.

Sorry Raijor, not to hijack your post.

FYI -- I'm looking for either one of these dial. genuine, and not redone.

Date dial in salmon with arabic numerals

247211-8340.jpg

Date dial in white with arabic numerals

247211-8341.jpg

I found one source with a set of matching hands for $350, but I'm just waiting in case something shows up on the bay.

Hi all,

I just completed a 1500 oyster perpetual date model 34mm for 1570. 2824 movement fits just fine, lined up dead center for the stem. I fashioned a spacer from the 2834 enlargement ring by whittling it down to almost nothing, but I found the standard case clamps hold the movement just fine without. Perfectly tight against the outside of the case and the dial pushed up all the way. So, this may be one of the easiest projects. Much harder to find a good 27mm dial than 28mm however.

Re. the comment above...some of the dial prices are completely out of whack. If I do this again I think I will start with the dial and then buy the appropriate case. I got a black dial with sticks for $36 after several second-place bids.

BTW, the 'wholesale' guy on ebay from Sugarland Texas has added some very cool alternating red/black date wheels for 1570 to his collection. Didn't try, but I've found his other stuff acceptable if just barely.

Cheers.

alt.watch...

Congrats on finishing up your project! I agree... 2824 is a great fit, and one that I turn to often for these types of frankens. Great fit... Little hassle... Good stuff indeed. Next one I do, I'll probably give stilty's 2892 suggestion a go... I especially like how that caliber fills up the case.

Please post some pics of your project!

All the best...

R

I would love to see pictures of the finished project. Cheers

Hi all,

I just completed a 1500 oyster perpetual date model 34mm for 1570. 2824 movement fits just fine, lined up dead center for the stem. I fashioned a spacer from the 2834 enlargement ring by whittling it down to almost nothing, but I found the standard case clamps hold the movement just fine without. Perfectly tight against the outside of the case and the dial pushed up all the way. So, this may be one of the easiest projects. Much harder to find a good 27mm dial than 28mm however.

Re. the comment above...some of the dial prices are completely out of whack. If I do this again I think I will start with the dial and then buy the appropriate case. I got a black dial with sticks for $36 after several second-place bids.

BTW, the 'wholesale' guy on ebay from Sugarland Texas has added some very cool alternating red/black date wheels for 1570 to his collection. Didn't try, but I've found his other stuff acceptable if just barely.

Cheers.

• 5 years later...
Hi all,

Cheers.

Sorry to bring up an old post.

I´ve just bought a gen 1500 case and want to put an eta 2824 in it.

What are the best plug and play movement ring and datedisc that I can get?

Thanks

Marcos

• 3 years later...

just found this so here's a big BUMP for this thread. I used a 5500 rolex case with a gen tudor dial recently and I used a low beat 2783, which lined up perfectly with the stem. I used a raffles movement ring for ETA which I had to grind out some little sections so the tabs could be screwed down low enough to grip under the case. Works a treat.

• 5 years later...
On 5/16/2007 at 10:17 PM, alt.watch.obsessive said:

Hi all,

Cheers.

hello,

I am looking to do this same build. Is there anyway you can message me to talk about what you did?

thanks