When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My collection has grown

robertk

For all you who have been around for a short time, here's what happens when you get into collecting. I've been around for a couple of years and find this hobby great fun and addicting. I've got my share of Gen's, but really enjoy finding the rep's that interest me. My photography sucks, but here's my fun stuff:

post-15-1145067612_thumb.jpg post-15-1145067685_thumb.jpg post-15-1145067755_thumb.jpgpost-15-1145067856_thumb.jpg post-15-1145067899_thumb.jpg post-15-1145067957_thumb.jpg post-15-1145068040_thumb.jpg post-15-1145068110_thumb.jpgpost-15-1145068195_thumb.jpg post-15-1145068248_thumb.jpg post-15-1145068303_thumb.jpg post-15-1145068363_thumb.jpgpost-15-1145075020_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Wow a very nice collection........congratulations and thanks for sharing :thumbsupsmileyanim:

In the very last photo the watch in the top left corner of the box, more info please.

Thanks

Ken

Would you believe it's a Steinhausen? It's what got me started with reps. BTW, it runs great and is a very pretty watch.

Actually Steinhausen is what I thought I was reading and yes they do have many nice watches.

Ken

Ken,

I spotted that as well.. be a little wary... the Steinhaussens come out of the Aeromatic stable... I have a couple of Aeromatics ( which are wonderful watches for the money) however- here is the caution-

It appears that Asian interests are buying up recognised Swiss names ( been going on for years) and using the 50% parts & ASSEMBLY ruling from the Swiss watch Assoc, to market their product.

Remember that " Swiss made" can still appear on the face/promo. Now I think we all have a pretty good understanding of the actual cost of a watch out of China ( For example- if I buy 1000+ of the Gianni Georgio quartz that infest Ebay- I can get them for about A$1.10c each- landed in Australia- plus duty & GST)

Yes these are quartz (crap), however, if I push this deal on their mechanicals I KNOW I will be able to buy under A$2.50 a watch.

So these Asian watches CAN be put together at VERY low cost.

If you expand on this theme, you will start to question the actual cost of some of the known "Swiss" brands, Camy- Titoni- of course Aeromatic ( German??) all come to mind- and I'm sure there are a bunch I can't think about right now.

So we all need to keep in the back of our mind the REAL cost of mass watch production.

As an aside from this- I was sitting at work the other day- adjusting a bracelet for a guy on a Gianni Georgio. - and Ive got to tell you it is pure crap, you should see how they build the bracelets, nothing is "machined"- all just hand assembled to fit that one bracelet. anyway, I contemplated the 20 minutes I spent altering it for him ( and my tools and " expertise")

Here in Australia- it is not uncommon for a tradesman to charge out @$65-$100/hr, so I thought lets halve the lower end- ie $32.50, and charge 20 mins of 1 hour ( 1/3)- Shit- still almost $11 to adjust this bracelet, which only cost a few cents to manufacture. ( I ended up charging him $5)

Just reread this rant, i'm really just putting random thoughts down- but i hope some get my drift.

Its NOT costing many $$ to build a watch in China. Of course style, quality, more importantly quantity, will all affect the final manufactured cost- but it does show that the real $$ are in the middleman area- and the consumer pays in the end.

I'm not for one moment contemplating doing any of this ( buying to resell) its just that my purchasing background that keeps on querying the 1st price- if one starts there- you can see the $$ available for marketing/promo and of course PROFIT.

So lets just take with a grain of salt the price our reps cost- draw your own conclusions.

I realise I have raised more questions, than given answers here, and some may sit back and scoff at these figures, but beleive me they are factual. So lets just keep on questioning the COST, especially of "Swiss" watches, ( rep or gen) we may get some surprises!

offshore

Edited to add- Sorry for rambling of topic here- Apologies Robert.

Guest Bjørk

I am very much impressed with the size and variation displayed in your collection robertk :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I spotted a few Maurice Lacroix watches that I would like to have. I would love to know how well the Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Jour et Nuit approximates the genuine robert

BBB

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
For all you who have been around for a short time, here's what happens when you get into collecting. I've been around for a couple of years and find this hobby great fun and addicting. I've got my share of Gen's, but really enjoy finding the rep's that interest me. My photography sucks, but here's my fun stuff:

post-15-1145067612_thumb.jpg post-15-1145067685_thumb.jpg post-15-1145067755_thumb.jpgpost-15-1145067856_thumb.jpg post-15-1145067899_thumb.jpg post-15-1145067957_thumb.jpg post-15-1145068040_thumb.jpg post-15-1145068110_thumb.jpgpost-15-1145068195_thumb.jpg post-15-1145068248_thumb.jpg post-15-1145068303_thumb.jpg post-15-1145068363_thumb.jpgpost-15-1145075020_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...