When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seamaster Chrono Diver (OMG0070)...anyone?

UglyStick

Just saw this featured on the main page for Trusty Time and wondered if anyone knew anything about it. I did a search for OMG0070 on here and turned up nothing.

http://www.ttwristwatch.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=1569

Looks like an awesome watch. I like the SMP Chrono, but I prefer black and the larger bezel numbers.

Thanks! (first post BTW)

What r11co said. But that applies to the whole Speedmaster line and the PO Chrono as well. It's impossible to get the subdial spacing correct for these... you just buy the watch if you like it and live with the wide spacing.

Very good looking watch, but since it has to compete against the SMP Chrono (which is extremely accurate and has perfect spacing) I guess it won't be a huge seller.

252142-7253.jpg

252142-7254.jpg

Edited by By-Tor

Very good looking watch, but since it has to compete against the SMP Chrono (which is extremely accurate and has perfect spacing) I guess it won't be a huge seller.

My thoughts exactly. It beats me why, with so many models using it that have been repped, they haven't committed to replicating the Cal. 3313 movement or one of its predecessors.

My thoughts exactly. It beats me why, with so many models using it that have been repped, they haven't committed to replicating the Cal. 3313 movement or one of its predecessors.

Does anyone now whether or not, at one time or another, if the 3313 movement was repped at one time?

Does anyone now whether or not, at one time or another, if the 3313 movement was repped at one time?

The Omega 330x series is based on the Piguet 1185 movement. I've never seen or heard of a rep of it. Doesn't mean that one doesn't exist though......

Call me eclectic but I have a hankering for the Torino Olympic version, in fact I posted last year after sampling one in person, gorgeous :wub:

Don't believe me? Think the weird red logo and dodgy numeric indices are too much? The Olympic rings second hand too cheesy? Maybe so but subdial spacing aside there's just something about it, especially when paired with rubber ;)

post-115-1180031110_thumb.jpg

post-115-1180031006_thumb.jpg

Call me eclectic but I have a hankering for the Torino Olympic version, in fact I posted last year after sampling one in person, gorgeous :wub:

Don't believe me? Think the weird red logo and dodgy numeric indices are too much? The Olympic rings second hand too cheesy? Maybe so but subdial spacing aside there's just something about it, especially when paired with rubber ;)

post-115-1180031110_thumb.jpg

post-115-1180031006_thumb.jpg

That Torino Olympic on the black rubber looks awesome - I want one !! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Just got my black Seamaster Chrono today. It is excellent, far better than my blue SMP. Of course it has excellent weight and feel, the bezel is aligned and clicks smoothly and solidly. The chronos work perfectly and the helium valve doesn't not totally unscrew like the old SMP's, it unscrews and stops. The subdial spacing is off, but since I like the gen so much it doesn't bother me. The bracelet uses pins and does indeed have a speedmaster clasp, but it looks like it can be traded out for the correct clasp from an SMP without any problems.

I'm going to compare it directly with a gen and post pics soon, but if you're considering getting one, do it.

Just got my black Seamaster Chrono today. It is excellent, far better than my blue SMP. Of course it has excellent weight and feel, the bezel is aligned and clicks smoothly and solidly. The chronos work perfectly and the helium valve doesn't not totally unscrew like the old SMP's, it unscrews and stops. The subdial spacing is off, but since I like the gen so much it doesn't bother me. The bracelet uses pins and does indeed have a speedmaster clasp, but it looks like it can be traded out for the correct clasp from an SMP without any problems.

I'm going to compare it directly with a gen and post pics soon, but if you're considering getting one, do it.

Could you expand on how it's far better than your blue SMP? Are you saying the quality is better? Aside from the helium valve screw thing, is there anything else? Does your blue SMP not click solidly? I really like the look of this watch too but I'd like to learn more about it.

omeega,

Could you post some pics soon please? This is the one I am looking at.

Could you expand on how it's far better than your blue SMP? Are you saying the quality is better? Aside from the helium valve screw thing, is there anything else? Does your blue SMP not click solidly? I really like the look of this watch too but I'd like to learn more about it.

I will post pics soon, I promise, but i'm working a 24 hour shift today, won't be done until tomorrow 8AM PST.

I say it's far better than my blue SMP for several reasons. The bezel on my blue one was first of all not aligned correctly, which I expected, but I also couldn't remove it to fix it. It also clicked oddly and wouldn't quite line up right with the hour markers, it was half way in between. It was also missing the 3 o clock hour marker which I did not expect, and there was a bit of lume or something on the edges of the hands as well. The clasp on my blue one was also very loose, it and the divers extension would always pop open. Most importantly, my blue SMP would stop at random times, something was wrong with the movement. I tried winding everyday, didn't work. The estimated repair was around $100 US.

I think I was a bit disappointed in the blue SMP not only for these reasons, but also because I really wanted this black chrono to begin with. I'm willing to live with a flaw like poor subdial spacing because I like it so much, and it's functionally sound -- good bracelet, solid and aligned bezel, and the movement is accurate thus far. I think I got into the blue SMP when the models being released were becoming poor in quality due to its popularity. Oddly enough, my blue SMP met a fitting end: it fell down an elevator shaft and was pretty much destroyed. The crystal popped out, the band tore in half, and the hands were bent. Luckily, the outer clasp engraved with "seamaster professional" was not damaged, so I can swap it with the incorrect speedmaster clasp on my new one ;) If anyone needs an SMP case let me know, or the malfunctioning movement I will get rid of as well.

Again, pics soon, possibly against a gen.

I will post pics soon, I promise, but i'm working a 24 hour shift today, won't be done until tomorrow 8AM PST.

I say it's far better than my blue SMP for several reasons. The bezel on my blue one was first of all not aligned correctly, which I expected, but I also couldn't remove it to fix it. It also clicked oddly and wouldn't quite line up right with the hour markers, it was half way in between. It was also missing the 3 o clock hour marker which I did not expect, and there was a bit of lume or something on the edges of the hands as well. The clasp on my blue one was also very loose, it and the divers extension would always pop open. Most importantly, my blue SMP would stop at random times, something was wrong with the movement. I tried winding everyday, didn't work. The estimated repair was around $100 US.

I think I was a bit disappointed in the blue SMP not only for these reasons, but also because I really wanted this black chrono to begin with. I'm willing to live with a flaw like poor subdial spacing because I like it so much, and it's functionally sound -- good bracelet, solid and aligned bezel, and the movement is accurate thus far. I think I got into the blue SMP when the models being released were becoming poor in quality due to its popularity. Oddly enough, my blue SMP met a fitting end: it fell down an elevator shaft and was pretty much destroyed. The crystal popped out, the band tore in half, and the hands were bent. Luckily, the outer clasp engraved with "seamaster professional" was not damaged, so I can swap it with the incorrect speedmaster clasp on my new one ;) If anyone needs an SMP case let me know, or the malfunctioning movement I will get rid of as well.

Again, pics soon, possibly against a gen.

I almost pulled the trigger but emailed tt about the $50 waterproofing option first.

Your elevator story is another reason to have a Rep - if that happened to a Gen I would have cried.

Looks like the Chronographs can't be waterproofed :(

I'll either get this watch anyways and be really careful

or

I will look at the SeaMaster Professional Black

or

the Planet Ocean Black 42mm - ETA (4th Gen)

I don't want the Ultimate cause I only have a 7" writst.

I tried taking some pics, but they weren't high enough resolution to be worth it. I did do a very quick comparison to the gen and the major flaws were:

-Subdial spacing is glaringly obvious as mentioned before

-Subdial spacing makes 3 and 9 o'clock markers too small on rep

-Chrono buttons on gen are less angled, making them appear closer to the crown

-Entire bracelet is totally wrong on rep, not just clasp. Gen bracelet is the same "speedy" design, but the center pieces are not polished as much

The gen I saw may be the newest model, and perhaps the rep was based on a previous years design. But the overall effect of all the differences is pronounced, and it almost looks like a different watch to a trained eye. The question, then, is if you like this watch as much as I do, do the "flaws" matter? To me, no. I actually like the rep better! The subdial spacing actually looks aesthetically better to me on the rep, on the gen they seem too close and the chrono buttons being less angled makes the whole watch seem more slim, which I don't like. I also like the rep bracelet better, the polished pieces add something to the watch that the gen doesn't have.

I'm very happy with my purchase. As long as it remains functionally sound I'll probably be done buying watches for a while....Maybe.

I'm very happy with my purchase. As long as it remains functionally sound I'll probably be done buying watches for a while....Maybe.

Well, looks like I'm out of luck. After a half day of very light use, the Seamaster Chrono has died already. It stopped early in the day, I revived it by winding and shaking a bit. Later on it kept dying and now it's completely frozen. I read the instructions for the Asian 7750, I didn't break any of the "rules" and the watch is dead after the first day.

The same thing happened to the blue SMP I purchased from Josh after about a month, and now this from Andrew (ttwristwatch?). I know they are friends/partners, and it seems as though their source is not trustworthy. There could be nothing I did not stop this watch from working correctly after 4 hours of use, there is a movement problem. Buyer beware.