When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBK Patek Nautilus Jumbo

ubiquitous

The Patek Nautilus is an exercise in style and design; love it or hate it, the unique appearance has both rep and gen collectors and enthusiasts split. I myself had viewed this particular watch from a distance for a very long time... Only until recently did I come to appreciate not only the style, but more over the exquisite execution of such a design. Tastes change with time, and I'm glad I warmed up to this watch; to dislike it would have meant missing out on such a great time piece.

I just received this beauty today... And I'm in love :wub: The details and finish of my new MBK Nautilus are top notch as I've come to expect with these Thai clones of haute sport models. What really has me floored is that the case is manufactured just like the genuine- The case is a monocoque design, hence the caseback is integrated with the case, and the movement is removed from the top after removing the bezel, which is held on by 4 screws in the case hinges (ears). The dial is my favorite part about this watch; I opted for the blue dial, which has a black appearance under low lite conditions, but shimmers an iridescent blue under direct light. It's really very stunning. The case wears nice and broad- Very good wrist presence at 42mm across, yet is elegantly thin. The crown tucks under the 3:00 hinge... Which is my only complaint; setting the time and date on this watch is not exactly the easiest thing to do as it's difficult to get a grasp on the crown. This is a watch that will need to be worn regularly to keep it going, methinks :)

Anyways... Onto the pics...

258841-5861.jpg

258841-5862.jpg

258841-5863.jpg

258841-5864.jpg

258841-5865.jpg

Pictured along with my other favorite MBK Genta design...

258841-5866.jpg

Wrist shot

258841-5867.jpg

And my favorite part... The dial...

258841-5868.jpg

258841-5869.jpg

And one in the sun...

258841-5870.jpg

I'm going to have a hard time picking which watch to wear in the mornings now...

Ubi = Ecstatic ^_^

Thanks for looking,

R

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ubi, welcome to the Jumbo club!

Very nice choice with the blue dial.

This a superbly made watch, it is really something to behold in person.

Congrats, my friend :)

PS. I also agree with your comment(s) about growing more & more fond of the Genta Monocoque design. I am glad I gave it a chance - - I'm also glad that my tastes have evolved as well.

I love mine!

258851-5856.jpg

This a superbly made watch, it is really something to behold in person.

Couldn't resist wearing my new toy today... The watch as a whole is indeed something that needs to be experienced in person, as pics simply can't capture what the eyes and senses would. The level of detail and fit/finish... Every polished bevel and surface is... Dare I say it... Perfect. I haven't louped it... But I have a feeling that if I did, I wouldn't be disappointed in the least ;)

I too have been admiring this watch for several years. Love it with the blue dial. I can't bring myself to buy the RO jumbo, but I think this one will end up on my wrist soon.

Did I say I love that dial?

The dial is very seductive... I haven't been able to stop gazing at it all morning. The simplicity of it... The stick markers and the horizontal dial pattern combined with the blue is really quite exquisite.

I must say... Having the RO and the Nautilus in the collection, both are absolutely worth having. I know you think the Offshore is too chunky; I agree. The Classic Royal Oak, however, is a very elegant design in my opinion, and is also one of my favorites. High enough on my list to dethrone the Daytona twins for nearly three weeks straight :)

can you pm me your source for this beauty (your pm box is full).....

Inbox unloaded... PM away. Or, hit me up on email... The usual address....

Gorgeous !! Great Piece Ubi,.. and I also like Euno love that blue/green dial !

Think that is the way I will go ... :rolleyes:

I think you'll be quite pleased in that decision!

This piece wears great... Makes my 'mid-size' 37mm Nautilus feel even smaller than it is (and it felt teeny tiny to begin with... A bit ladies' watch-esque despite it's size). The Jumbo is an excellent choice! And... Whether your wrist is big or on the smaller side (like mine~ 6.75"), it fits great.

ohh...I need one of those badly. That blue dial .... :wub:

Indeed sir... I felt the same way, and I couldn't resist any longer... ;)

I want them both :Jumpy:

I think you need both! These are worthy additions to any collection... Yours especially, Stephane!

Fantastic picutres. When I first saw this watch I didn't see what all the fuss was about, but it really has grown on me, I love it now!

This is one of those odd pieces... Takes a bit of time to warm up to the idea, but once you see it... Especially upon close examination... It'll be in the back of your mind stirring up intrigue and curiosity, drawing you in to it's allure. It's not a watch that everyone can appreciate. But if you do... It's easy to fall in love....

MMmm, great idea about the DW. The rep is good, but any improvement would be nice.

Then the next question is: how does one remove the crown stem? :crazy:

I haven't cracked mine open yet, but I'm assuming it's a matter of removing the hinge screws, removing the bezel/crysal assembly, and then removing the movement, which I'm assuming should lift out- stem intact.

I don't have any plans on opening mine up anytime soon, but if I happen to give it a try, I'll let you know how it goes :lol:

In the meantime... Here are some requested pics (albeit crappy) of some comparisons to give an idea on size.

...with a 37mm TW Best Nautilus:

259578-5718.jpg

...with a 38mm MBK Royal Oak Jumbo:

259578-5719.jpg

...with a 40mm Daytona Frankenstein:

259578-5720.jpg

Please pardon the dark pic... Not sure what happened with this one :huh:

Regards,

R

Thanks for the comparison shots. I had the smaller version a while back but sold it due to the small size. This looks like it would get lots of wrist time.

Stop posting pics of that Royal Oak. It's growing on me once again and I have too many watches on order right now to be toying with these ideas. :whistling:

The new model (5711) has a retail of $18k +/-; it seems to sell at a premium however... Somewhere around $22k+ (to put this into perspective, some of the more hard to find models, like the 5980 are selling (or for sale at) double of their retail- $65k to $70k).

The old model (3700) was discontinued some time ago- (don't recall exactly when, though) and was replaced with the 3710 with power reserve (comet). The 3700 initially sold for around $2500.00 when it was wet behind the ears in '76, though throughout it's production, pricing went up (to what figures on retail, I don't recall either). Used, pre-owned, they sell anywhere from $15k to mid/upper $20k's, depending on age/vintage/condition. They are quite collectible.

Now... My model is a bit of a fantasy model in my opinion; it's neither 5711 or, really for that matter a 3700, as it has a seconds hand (it shouldn't).

QUICK EDIT: The 3700 was discontinued in 1990; the 3710 was introduced in 1997/1998.

holy crappamoly!!!! All i can think is: needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave needtohave

Could someone let me know (by PM?) where i can obtain the blue dialed version?

Now... My model is a bit of a fantasy model in my opinion; it's neither 5711 or, really for that matter a 3700, as it has a seconds hand (it shouldn't).

It should have a second hand! Except the closed caseback is wrong... this is a feature of the previous model. As far as i can find info on the 5711 they all come with see through casebacks.

So yes... it's a fantasy, but not because of the second hand. Look at the official press release picture of Patek.

post-188-1181495271_thumb.jpg

It should have a second hand! Except the closed caseback is wrong... this is a feature of the previous model. As far as i can find info on the 5711 they all come with see through casebacks.

So yes... it's a fantasy, but not because of the second hand. Look at the official press release picture of Patek.

F-

Yes, the 5711 comes with a display back... And also a 3 piece case (caseback is removable). Not only that, but the 5711 is also 44mm wide, and the hinges/ears are curved (and the recess for the crown is much deeper). The dial is also ever so different- The indicies are angled at the ends to follow the curvature/lines of the bezel. So... There are far more differences than just the seconds hand and the display back...

The MBK Jumbo that I have is closer to the 3700, which is 42mm, monocoque design, and straight hinges/ears, which the rep shares in design. If one were to remove the seconds hand on this rep, it would be the 3700.

A date wheel would be pretty easy--about ten minutes work as a matter of fact--if someone knows the right font and if there is no overlay used on the rep change the position of the date to accomopdate the window. I already have the size an alignment for 28XX wheels in Illustrator. It would literally be 4 mouse clicks--two to change the font, one to save, and one to send the file to the print shop.

I'd cretainly be willing to make a few and have them printed and cut--at least as a small made to order run--if someone else can ID the right font.