When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stubborn Bezel Removal

I am trying to replace the bezel insert on my LV sub from Andrew. I have done numerous insert replacements on other watches with no trouble at all, but the bezel on this watch won't budge. Broke two utility knife blades trying to flip it off using the usual method. Don't want to drop big $$$ on a bezel removal tool. Any suggestions / tricks from the old hands out there?

Thanks for any help.

BP

Read this thread before you continue down this path. I wish you luck if decide to continue your attempts - Cheers

Thread on why not to attempt removal of LV bezel

Thanks. Wish I had seen that thread before I stood on that thing. Now, what used to me one of my nicest-clicking bezels is bent and barely turns at all. Argghh. :wounded1:

Thanks. Wish I had seen that thread before I stood on that thing. Now, what used to me one of my nicest-clicking bezels is bent and barely turns at all. Argghh. :wounded1:

Don't despair. I had the same problem in the past. You just have to straighten the bezel. It might look like an impossible feat, but it can be done. I read the posrt that was warnign other people not to even try it, but lately I found that DIY moding is a hobby in itself!!

I had to realign a bezel insert in two different watches so far, and the bezel became slightly wrapped in both cases. (PO45 and LV.. more so in the LV) Once placed back, tt would 'brake' and note turn unless I grabbed it with a cloth. Pop them out again, place them on a level surface, and check for the wavy gap. Then invent a way to unwrap it. I placed a cloth over a rod and then it was -eyeball-back on the rod-push with my fingers on the edge of the bezel than needed to go lower-eyeball again etc I know this is hard to get through words, so, this is why I said invent a way to unwrap it :) It is easier than you think.

After you unwrap it, test it on the watch, without the retaining ring. (Don;t want to start from scratch right?) See if it turn smoothly and if the clicks are positive. If your watch has a 1cm wire to control the clicks, then straighten the long part of it, and make it bend a bit upwards. This will make it more 'positive'. If your watch has a small piston/spring setup, I think there is not a lot you can do about it. It is as good as it gets.

I started from an almost ok bezel, went to a 'honey, I think I destroyed it' bezel, but in the end I have a better bezel than when I started. Remember that this is the only safe way to epoxy the bezel insert in place without risking glueing the whole assembly frozen.

Good luck.

George