When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Mighty SMP Chronograph

By-Tor

One of the all time greatest reps, and a bargain at the price you can pick them up for now too!

beautiful watch! A close to flawless rep.

Why the hell did Omega place the He valve directly off the 10 marker but skews all the other He valves in the gen? :wounded1:

Hey guys, I just got this watch too. I do have a question or two, if you SMP chrono experts can help out on this I would greatly appreciate it. Does the chroro pusher needed to be unscrewed by the ring, in order to engage the chrono. I asked that, because the one that I had picked up, does not require the outer ring to be unscrewed, in order to engage the chrono. and since that is kind of not a norm for me. The various chrono that I had encountered with the screw ring on the outside, all actually get unscrewed for water resistance, such as my BCE, and the 6263, and even on the pam 187 that we see. So I wanted to know if this is what a gen does as well, thus making that outer ring look like for cosmetic purpose only. Can someone verify that for me please? And I also have a hard time to "wind" the watch. When I received it yesterday, I pulled the crown out slightly, but even after I kept screwing the crown, the seconds hand would not more, and only after I do the shake motion, did the watch come to life. Do any of you have this happen to you as well? just wanted to say that it is indeed a beautiful piece, along with my standard SMP, I now have the small rep SMP family! Thanks guys in advance.

PS. I am wearing the watch as we speak, and often can't take my eyes off of it!

Edited by Woody

Hey guys, I just got this watch too. I do have a question or two, if you SMP chrono experts can help out on this I would greatly appreciate it. Does the chroro pusher needed to be unscrewed by the ring, in order to engage the chrono. I asked that, because the one that I had picked up, does not require the outer ring to be unscrewed, in order to engage the chrono. and since that is kind of not a norm for me. The various chrono that I had encountered with the screw ring on the outside, all actually get unscrewed for water resistance, such as my BCE, and the 6263, and even on the pam 187 that we see. So I wanted to know if this is what a gen does as well, thus making that outer ring look like for cosmetic purpose only. Can someone verify that for me please? And I also have a hard time to "wind" the watch. When I received it yesterday, I pulled the crown out slightly, but even after I kept screwing the crown, the seconds hand would not more, and only after I do the shake motion, did the watch come to life. Do any of you have this happen to you as well? just wanted to say that it is indeed a beautiful piece, along with my standard SMP, I now have the small rep SMP family! Thanks guys in advance.

PS. I am wearing the watch as we speak, and often can't take my eyes off of it!

As for the chrono pushers, its the same on mine, and as far as I know, the genuine too. Maybe someone whio has experienced a gen could shed some further light on this.

As far as winding goes, I sometimes find it hard to keep it in the 'winding' position. I usually give it a little shake, then give it a few turns, then it comes to life. Sometimes takes longer to get going than others.

Does the chroro pusher needed to be unscrewed by the ring, in order to engage the chrono. I asked that, because the one that I had picked up, does not require the outer ring to be unscrewed, in order to engage the chrono. and since that is kind of not a norm for me. The various chrono that I had encountered with the screw ring on the outside, all actually get unscrewed for water resistance, such as my BCE, and the 6263, and even on the pam 187 that we see. So I wanted to know if this is what a gen does as well, thus making that outer ring look like for cosmetic purpose only. Can someone verify that for me please?

On my gen, the outer ring on the chrono pushers is cosmetic. Actually, Omega makes a tool that engages on this outer ring to unscrew the pusher from the case. The Omega pushers are waterproof as they are.

Thanks Krusty. I just remembered another thing.....has anyone notice the placement of the pearl bezel on the bezel ring itself is reversed from the gen? If you look at BT's pic on top, you'd notice that the bezel pearl falls on the recessed wave of pattern on the bezel, whereas on the gen, the pearl falls on the rising peak of the bezel itself. I don't know if anyone had discussed this before, but I just started noticing it when I was getting ready to buy. It was not a deal breaker for me then. But I wonder if the factories do this on purpose, as the rep on the aesthetic front is very close to gen, and they want to make a distinction? anyone think my theory is way off base?

A fantastic rep (which I also own) but I still find myself wearing the Orange UPO while the SMP Chrono sits in the draw looking pretty... (pretty dejected !!). :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks Krusty. I just remembered another thing.....has anyone notice the placement of the pearl bezel on the bezel ring itself is reversed from the gen? If you look at BT's pic on top, you'd notice that the bezel pearl falls on the recessed wave of pattern on the bezel, whereas on the gen, the pearl falls on the rising peak of the bezel itself. I don't know if anyone had discussed this before, but I just started noticing it when I was getting ready to buy. It was not a deal breaker for me then. But I wonder if the factories do this on purpose, as the rep on the aesthetic front is very close to gen, and they want to make a distinction? anyone think my theory is way off base?

I bought 3 SMP Chronos , 2 from Josh and 1 from Andrew ..

Josh's are good but I had to realign the bezel on both but Andrew's really surprised me , it was spot on like the Gen , the bezel insert was dead on aligned with the peaks and the insert itself was just a shade darker blue like the Gen , also the crown guard wasn't as big like the Gen so I think Andrew has the best SMP Chrono but since I only have one from him I don't know if it was a fluke or not ..

Zed

p.s. the HE valve is off on both guys watches though <_<

I really love this watch but I'm waiting for an updated dial. The new SMP chrono has the complete omega logo + text in badge form. Looks miles better IMO. Still can't help but salivate every time I see one of these!

Thanks BT.

263121-5041.gif

Edited by andreww

I really love this watch but I'm waiting for an updated dial. The new SMP chrono has the complete omega logo + text in badge form. Looks miles better IMO. Still can't help but salivate every time I see one of these!

Thanks BT.

I am going to buy this watch Gen in the fall and was wondering if I should get the new version or the old but then I got thinking about the new version and the white markers @ 12 , 3 , 6 & 9 are gone and that bothers me a bit ...

Also I don't like the idea of the rhodium finish on the new version , it's like a clear coat over the stainless so I think I will go with the old version ??

Old Version 263133-5038.gif New Version 263133-5039.jpg

Zed

Zed, if it was me, I would go for the new version. I think the lack of the markers at 12, 3, 6, 9, actually made the dial a little bit cleaner in my opinion. I think I like that more, and with regards to your personal icon? are those bezel insert genuine? are you thinking about selling it? PM me if you are....thanks.

I bought 3 SMP Chronos , 2 from Josh and 1 from Andrew ..

Josh's are good but I had to realign the bezel on both but Andrew's really surprised me , it was spot on like the Gen , the bezel insert was dead on aligned with the peaks and the insert itself was just a shade darker blue like the Gen , also the crown guard wasn't as big like the Gen so I think Andrew has the best SMP Chrono but since I only have one from him I don't know if it was a fluke or not ..

Zed

p.s. the HE valve is off on both guys watches though <_<

The He valve is actually placed perfectly on these reps. Unlike the normal SMP where the He valve is about 1mm higher than the 10 o'clock position on the Chrono version, it actually sits bang on at 10.

As far as the gen's go, I prefer the all white dial of the older version.

Zed, if it was me, I would go for the new version. I think the lack of the markers at 12, 3, 6, 9, actually made the dial a little bit cleaner in my opinion. I think I like that more, and with regards to your personal icon? are those bezel insert genuine? are you thinking about selling it? PM me if you are....thanks.

I'll make my decision on what I buy when I have one in each hand and see what I like better ..

The bezel inserts are from eBay ..

Zed

I have one of these myself... its a splendid piece and always a great thing to own because of its perfection.

Why Zed would want to get a gen of something available as a perfect, relatively inexpensive rep is a little strange to me but...

Why Zed would want to get a gen of something available as a perfect, relatively inexpensive rep is a little strange to me but...

So it will keep running after the date change plus I might want to get it wet Corgs ?? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I am going to buy this watch Gen in the fall and was wondering if I should get the new version or the old but then I got thinking about the new version and the white markers @ 12 , 3 , 6 & 9 are gone and that bothers me a bit ...

Also I don't like the idea of the rhodium finish on the new version , it's like a clear coat over the stainless so I think I will go with the old version ??

Old Version 264529-4796.gif New Version 264529-4797.jpg

Zed

Personally, I prefer the old version :) Same as with the regular SMP, I much prefer the version Pierce Brosnan wore, to the version Daniel Craig wore :)

So sorry to ask, I know everyone hates answering this question but, who carries the best version of the SMP chrono? Also is there one available with AR? Thanks!

They're all the same, and the one that is available doesn't have AR, just like the gen.

So sorry to ask, I know everyone hates answering this question but, who carries the best version of the SMP chrono? Also is there one available with AR? Thanks!

I already said this in the 1st page of this thread but I do think Andrew has the better SMP Chrono , see the1st page !

Zed