When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC sapphire replacement crystal

vlydog

hello all

Can anyone tell me where I would find a sapphire replacement crystal that does not have AR for an IWC 3717 pilot? I would also need a part number or a more detailed description for ordering. What I want to do involves a watch I have yet to receive. This is all in preparation for mods that will be done later this summer. I would actually like to go ahead and purchase an extra crystal without AR. My plan was to put it through with Chieftang's next run. I don't have the watch so I can't just pop off the crystal and measure it. If anyone knows the size and parts number for this crystal I would be grateful. IWC 3717 pilot.

Best regards, vlydog

I don't know of a replacement crystal, but if you have a watch supply warehouse locally, you can go there and measure the 3717 crystal.

I will tell you this though: the 3717 does not need AR. It seems to have a slight amount. The rep appears the same as OEM. Once you get your 3717, you will see what I mean.

Cheers

I third that. For the brief period of time I had my first one I went to the AD and compared. IMHO, not worth it.

Eunomians, dluddy and Kruzer00 thank you for your opinions. I think I can put this issue behind me now. I will now plan the modifications for this watch to be a relume, day/date replacement and a movement swap. Thank you for your sound advice.

vlydog

I went to AD and there was no comparison....the gen is double AR and the rep is NOT EVEN CLOSE.

From all angles you can tell.

Find a way to get the AR done.....you will not be disappointed.

You will very much enjoy the quality of the 3717. It is a beautiful watch and without a doubt, it is a keeper.

Enjoy & best regards,

Euno :)

I have to politely disagree.

I've been to several ADs and the AR is pretty much the same as the rep.

Same here. You see some reflectivity on the genuines I have looked at. If it truly had Double AR, you would see none. I like mine the way it is.

Gen. 3717 is double AR coated, as You can read here

https://www.iwc.com/index-en.asp

....Convex sapphire glass, antireflective on both sides and secured against displacement by drop in air pressure...

I was at my AD and compare those two watches side by side, and rep. AR is NOT EVEN CLOSE to genuine so please stop....

On this pic. You can notice how strong blue/purple tint is

post-2322-1182528096_thumb.jpg

hello all

Can anyone tell me where I would find a sapphire replacement crystal that does not have AR for an IWC 3717 pilot? I would also need a part number or a more detailed description for ordering. What I want to do involves a watch I have yet to receive. This is all in preparation for mods that will be done later this summer. I would actually like to go ahead and purchase an extra crystal without AR. My plan was to put it through with Chieftang's next run. I don't have the watch so I can't just pop off the crystal and measure it. If anyone knows the size and parts number for this crystal I would be grateful. IWC 3717 pilot.

Best regards, vlydog

Errrr....am I missing something?

All you have to do is remove the crystal, clean off the AR (Cheiftang wrote up a "How To" for this) and than send it to Cheiftang to be AR coated...saves you money and time/headache/aggravation looking for a new crystal.

AR AR AR AR... Yes, no, yes, no, yes, no...

Actually, AR in the real world means Acoustic Research. And I'm glad that I've got AR-3a's.

Miles Davis swore by them. He was glad he had AR. Me, too.

Solid walnut. True acoustic suspenion Alnico magnets, cloth surrounds... The first in acoustic suspension, and still one of the very very best. That's right: AR.