When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cleaning Replicas - Thoughts on How

chaosboy

Hey everyone. I just received my gorgeous Breitling SFSO Lite today, and couldn't be more pleased with it. It is absolutely gorgeous, and I am unbelievably excited to have it. However, I just had a question. I like to keep my watches clean, and on my genuine every day Esquire, I've found that an old toothbrush and toothpaste work wonders, followed by a quick soak to wash off the toothpaste, for keeping the watch gleaming like its new. Ive never had any problems with water seeping in or anything like that, but the watch is certified waterproof to 100m so no surprise there. With my new Breitling, I certainly have every intention of keeping it as clean as possible, especially given how wonderful it looks when its shiny and clean. So my question is, does anyone have any ideas regarding how I should clean it? Does anyone know if the watch is for sure waterproof (as that's my main concern, that when I wash off the toothpaste that water will get in, I'd be mortified!) I know the brush/toothpaste doesn't do any damage to the metal on my Esquire, would the same apply to this rep? And if you think there would be a problem, do you have any alternative suggestions for cleaning it without worry?

I'm new at this obviously, and I'm overprotective of the watch already, so even if I'm confident that it's well made (and I'm damn sure it is), I'd be loathe to "hurt" this beauty in any way shape or form, and I just wanted to get some advice from you more experienced members before I made any attempt at cleaning it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers

Stop fretting. Unless you are digging ditches with your watch - forget the toothbrush and toothpaste. Just use a soft jewlers cloth, the kind that has a light polish in the cloth. But just use a plain cloth on the crystal so you don't wear off he AR coating. Go out and enjoy the watch.

Usil

Congrats on your new purchase. Whenever I buy a new rep, first thing I do is check the crystal for any mist/fogging/ dust.

Sometimes the factory does not tighten the caseback enough, and if I spot anything untoward, I remove the dial/movement, do a good cleanup of the inside of the crystal, put everything back, and tighten the caseback really good and try not to scratch the caseback in the process.

After that, I would observe the watch for a couple of days, and if its nice and clear on the inside, I would have no hesitation in rinsing the watch under running water.

Most of the time all is ok, and I dry the watch with a soft towel.

Hope this helps.

....'tooth brush' ... flipping 'ek what ever happend to a quick rinse with soap and water and pat down with a towel - just as Rolex suggests as a matter of fact- ... (i wouldn't recomend that for leather strapped jobbies - you'd damage the strap)