When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So I walked into a Rolex dealer with my rep Yachtmaster

Guest folex69

Guest folex69

I normally a post at RWI.... but I've always lurked RWG's forum.... so I just thought I'd post my story here. Anyways, I'm new to the rep scene, and I bought a Rolex Yachtmaster from someone from the RWI board. I'm not sure who the originally supplier is for this Rolex, but it looked damn good. Anyways, I went to school to floss my watch and I asked this cheerleader chick to check out my new Rollie, and if she wanted to take a bus to the mall after school.

So, we go to the mall, and there was this jewelry store that sold real Rolexes and stuff. I thought my rep was perfect so I decided to bring the girl into the store to check out how much a Yachtmaster really costs (hoping it would impress her and I can get some play)

I walked in, rolled my sleeve up and went straight to the Rolex section. A man came up to me and asked if I needed help. I pointed at the Presidential with my left hand to show off my watch, and asked to see it. He said "Nice watch, can I take a look at it?" The girl was standing next to me so I had to let him see it. He held it, kinda shook it a little, and inspected it closely front and back. Then he said, "Nice Folex. Come back when you can afford a Rolex." And then he gave my watch back and turned away laughing. I was so embarrased.

And, NO.... I didn't get any play from the girl. :angry:

Guest folex69

No more Folexes for me. After researching the forums, even the best Folexes you can buy, can be spotted as a rep. I'm bous to get my shiz on with rep Patek and APs now. I'm gonna go back and show them wassup.

Weight of the Rolesium (plat/ss) and sometimes rotor sound will give it away- especially if it's a 21J Asian version, as they have a tendancy to sound a little 'rough'. In addition, the YM is a hard one to get away with anyways- You have details like the CG's (which differ than most others in the Sports family), dial color/tone, font color, bezel color, bezel markers, etc. that all have to be spot on, or there's a very good chance that it will get called out. When your day to day involves handling and looking at these things constantly, it's easy to develop an eye to identify something that just doesn't look, feel, or sometimes sound 'right'.

This is why I stick with vintage MBW's. When genuine parts fit with little fuss, it's much easier to find and build a much more convincing piece.

I'm bous to get my shiz on with rep Patek and APs now. I'm gonna go back and show them wassup.

Care to translate that into English?

I suspect that this dealer had you pegged as a pretender even before you handed your watch over to him. Schoolboy with a YM and "cheerleader chick" take a bus to the mall. Please.

No offense intended, Folex, but in comparison to you -- or at least based on your story -- Shady comes off as a Saville Row sophisticate.

Care to translate that into English?

I suspect that this dealer had you pegged as a pretender even before you handed your watch over to him. Schoolboy with a YM and "cheerleader chick" take a bus to the mall. Please.

Yep. Why people buy reps of $8000 platinum bling Rolexes is beyond me. For some strange reason "FAKE" always comes to mind first.

Just leave YachtMasters to Dr. Phil, Liberace and rap stars. Buy a good stainless steel rep if you don't want to get embarrassed again.

That is one embarassing moment there lad. I hope you learned your lesson, if this is all true.

I took a second look at his post. It's a troll. He's probably one of those idiots who posts pictures of his reps to the genuine watch groups... and gets embarrassed and banned (in that order).

"Hi GUYZ... L00k A7 MY N3W R0L3X 4Nd PL4N3T OC34N!!!" :lol:

OK Homie G'd up yo yo yo Folex???? B) OK OK sorry just had to say that. I've been collecting reps since I was in high school! But I know one thing and I've known it since then. No matter how good the rep was and how well dressed I looked, because I was styling back in the day, (sorry had to say that too! :thumbsupsmileyanim: ) OK back on track from that tangent, but really dude? If you are in school, riding the bus, hollering at a cheerleader, and sporting a Rolex that most 40 and 50 year old men can't purchase I think you've got all the odds against you!

Seriously some common sense please. Its cool to impress the kids at school, make a little money on the side maybe, dress nice and sport your Rollie to Applebees on Saturday night but DON'T AND I MEAN DON'T go walking in to any fine watch or jewelry store sporting a rep of any quality because you are asking to get PLAYED DUDE!

And I especially wouldn't try to take a PP or AP into one either. When you walk in with your "Chronograph" that has Day, Date, and Year on it they are going to spot you even quicker!

Be smart playa! Keep collecting, be patient, when you finish school and I mean college as well! You might be able to pull off the YM in an AD but not while your RIDING THE BUS! And especially don't try to tell your GF or wanna be GF the watch is real either because if she finds out the Watch is fake, she's gonna find out YOU ARE FAKE TOO!

Its gonna be hard to get respect here on the forums now, but lay low, learn some more, and eventually you'll be able to roll with the BIG BOYS! :whistling:

Cheers!

Jon :yeah: