When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Sea Dweller Great White: fully modded by MM

Stephane

Dear All,

This is a pictorial and review of my first truly modded Sea Dweller:   :wub: The Great White  :wub:

Project

After some hesitations about which Rolex is the one I prefer, going from DayDates to 16610, 1680, Daytonas and GMTs, it's obvious now: The Sea Dweller.

As I am a passionate guy, I started a project which is to have the best possible Sea Dwellers, all 3 of them: Great White, Single Red, Double Red.

This is a several months project of course. :wacko:

The base watches

Two of them are coming from members, Kelster and Phoband, and one straight from TTK.

Number one: The Great White

I sent this one some weeks ago to a Mystery Modder (that we'll call DoubleM or MM for the moment)  :ph34r:

Yes, I know, it's sad not to name the artist but it's his desire to stay anonymous.

At least for now…I hope  :unsure:

Both of us have been sourcing genuine parts for this one.

When everything was ready, the art started.

First impression

Once I unpacked this watch, I couldn't believe what I saw and touched:

a splendid time piece with an incredibly different feeling than all my other Rolex.

The first obvious difference to the eye was the Crystal.

A Genuine T39 flat!

No other crystal I have seen (including Clarks) is looking like this. None.

Oh, yes, we choose the flat one for the Great White which is historically correct but we'll have Super Domes for the 2 others (SR/DR).

What has been done?

MM wanted the watch to feel very authentic as it just left “ye olde watchmakers shoppe”.

“This watch is in original condition, not serviced by Rolex, but refinished by a watchmaker so the dial and hands are in 100% original condition".

Here is the list dear friends  :ltongue:

Case highly reworked and smooth like a genuine would be in 2007.

Crown Guards shaved by the previous owner.

A genuine crown and tube were installed and refinished to match the case.

Lugholes drilled.

Genuine spingbars fitted.

HEV drilled out and dummy valve built and installed.

Case back has been redone completely and looks so genuine.

Genuine T39 flat installed.

CWP insert is installed, aged nicely.

Genuine Pearl of course.

Bezel turns freely, just like it should be on a 30 year old timepiece.

Dial has been aged and repainted.

Little fleck close to five o'clock. It is a bit of Tritium that fell off from markers/hand and contaminated the dial – a desired effect MM did by intention.

All Tritium on the watch is fixed; nothing can move or fall into the movement.

There is some missing Tritium on the hour hand. It's done by intention and this looks gorgeous.

Ubi date wheel overlay moves perfect, no resistance.

Movement was serviced completely.

O-Rings all greased, that goes without saying.

Scratches and sign of wear on the bracelet and end links are left by intention too of course.

Conclusion

Again, this place is amazing and features some fabulous members and great artists.

Thank God I found RWG and met MM.

Double M, you rock  :clap3:  :clap3:  :clap3:

Cheers

Stephane

The Pictures

Please do not reply quoting the pictures as there are 38 and it would mess the speed of the thread and the forum. Thank you.

These pictures are done by me, are 100% amateur (no lightning) and are not showing the real beauty of the watch, believe me  :sorry:

RolexSeaDwellerGreatWhite_800_13.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerGreatWhite_800_43.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerGreatWhite_800_44.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerGreatWhite_PS400_41.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerGreatWhite_PS600_24.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerGreatWhite_PS800_13.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerGreatWhite_PS800_14.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerGreatWhite_PS800_27.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerGreatWhite_PS800_29.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerGreatWhite_PS800_41.jpg

absolutely amazing!! WOW

Have you done the others yet? I cant wait to see them too!

Lonnie

Hi Lonnie...thanks for your nice comment.

No the other ones are not done yet.

The SR is almost done but waiting for the Super domes to arrive from down under.

As I am leaving for a couple of weeks, it will only be finished in august :(

Then, MM will start the DR.

Cheers

Stephane

One question. Is the rivited bracelet correct for the 1665? I personally think it looks really good but i have never seen a GEN with a rivited oyster. I would be interested to know from one of the experts.

My 1665 also has a rivited bracelet but i was gunna put on a hollow endlink bracelet and save the rivited for my 1680 project.

Lonnie

Stunning!

Stephane, are you contemplating aquiring any genuine movements. I have read that the movement of the second hand is a dead give away. Is this so?

Does Ro!ex 1570 fit in a MBW?

You are Rep Crazy! (Apologies to McGuier's)

The beat rate on this rep would be smoother than the GEN if im not mistaken. This 1665 came with a slow beat movement.

I wouldnt say it would be a dead giveaway except to some of the eagle eye rolex experts like a lot of the guys here, and even still i think they would have to take a second or third close look I think the difference is something like slow beat 5 ticks per second and the ETA 28,800 is about 8 ticks per second (smoother)

I drank a lot last night to maybe im wrong here haha. I'm not thinking too clearly right now

As for the 1570 into the MBW.. read this recent post and see the details

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Finished-result-...ent-t37587.html

Lonnie

Edited by L-dizzle

Looking at the global bill (from which MM work is a share only of course), I will not go for anything like gen mvt or gen hollow mid link bracelet :bangin:

But, yes, the hollow mid link seem to be the one needed with 558 end links according to Tribal.

The riveted is stunning but not accurate.

It's my favourite option though.

A gen that would match a 1665 or 1680 could be found but not for less than 400 to 700 $ :bicycle:

Are we really trying to have a 1:1 rep ? No of course, it's impossible.

Only a Franken with 100% of gen parts might be but would probably cost the price of a ...genuine :Jumpy:

Lonnie is right: only experts could spot the differences between ours and gens.

In example, for a 30 to 40 year old watch, you must mod the dial and make the Tritium "not so perfect", have scratches and smooth edges.

As it comes out of the box, an MBW is much too much "clean" and screams fake.

Hi PP,

Well, yes I guess I could want to change some parts one day.

But, remember, I'm quite new to mods and a lucky bastard that some expert modder helps me out.

6 months ago I thought my ugly 16610 of eBay was the queen of reps ;)

Let's say: I have a SD trilogy and want to make them as perfect as possible in the long term.

But, right now, I do what I can budget wise :wounded1:

Putting around 1.000$ in total for a watch is quite a pain.

So, adding another 3 or 500 is probably something that will have to wait for another 3 months unfortunately.

Now, I really appreciate your input aswell as everyone else's.

Therefore, I thank you (all) very much.

Please keep posting :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Cheers

Stephane

Nice piece Stephane but you gotta get a correct crown to really finish it off... And nice caseback work but its correct for DRSD not Great White. Don't you just hate that... sorry but that's what we're here for huh?

that was what i was thinking as well... or get a good DRSD dial and make it even better than it is now. Although i prefer the look of the great white's dial... such a great white caseback would be awesome.

S-

The piece looks great. I am scratching my head over who the modder is. :)

Ah.

So that was the :g: !

Well Kruzer, I wish I could say because an artist allways deserve his signature on the paint in my opinion.

But again, I think this very nice member has his own reasons to stay anonimous, and I will respect that, forever.

Having said that, let's avoid fantasies and fairy tales!

Do not imagine he is "new - unknow - out of this board - Rolex retired watchmaker - ..."

I am in no way promoting a future business here.

Only respecting what he asked me.

Sorry :(

Stephane

Congrats Stephane. That particular Dweller is my favourite MBW vintage as well. Very nice mods... and very nice pictures, as usual.

Enjoy!

No thread crapping man, we all want to learn ;)

Thanks Stephane. Oliver, i'll keep it public as all knowledge is good... Here's the caseback but it needs some more work to get it looking as good as Stephane's Great White. Freddy started a useful thread on how to vintage casesbacks not so long ago.

As for the dial its a gen Singer base refinished. I got of off this guy... http://stores.ebay.co.uk/NDTradingCorp a while ago but it seems his products like a lot of gen and refinished Rolex bits, have gone through the roof in price... Also included a pic of the HE valve and gen T39 superdome.

Cheers

P.

post-3074-1184584453_thumb.jpg post-3074-1184584507_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...