When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New SMP chrono

gioarmani

Just received a new SMP chrono from Andrew--less than 5 days for delivery yet again. The date quit advancing on my old model (only via the stem's date position) when I replaced the crown--still advances fine at midnight by itself and by adjusting the time; go figure.

Anyway, I popped the case-back of the new one to inspect the movement and regulate & waterproof it, and noticed the new decorated movements & rotors they're putting in them lately. Painted screws to look anodized too. Beautiful though--a nice unexpected change; I didn't know if anyone else had noticed this on the latest reps or not.

Check it out:

285595-8679.jpg

(Edited to add pics--gen box & bookset not included ;) )

285595-8680.jpg

285595-8681.jpg

285595-8682.jpg

285595-8683.jpg

285595-8684.jpg

285595-8685.jpg

Edited by gioarmani

I recently bought the new SMP Olympic Chrono from Andrew which basically appears to have the same case and movement, and I've noticed that the case has a serial number, (a la uPO), etched onto the underside of one of the lugs (which I see from the photo, yours has too). I also own the standard SMP Chrono which I bought a few months ago but the serial number is missing. :(

On a side note, I never opened the gen but the gen was off by around 4-5 seconds per day; because I've regulated my reps myself, the rep is actually off less than 2 seconds per day. :) My gen is also now sold, btw. Thinking about trying my luck with a gen 16610LV--I know after my first Sub being a complete piece of [censored] (it might have well been made by Land Rover...), I'm thinking about giving Rollie one last go.

I also WP my reps myself & swim in them on almost a daily basis. I paid the AD for them to prove to me it was waterproof--they tried giving me the [censored] that it was "tested at the factory", etc, and because of which, they don't do this on their new models; I explained that it wasn't good enough as this was going in the drink immediately upon getting home. So having case-back openers & silicon grease, I don't sweat the rep aspect of WP'ing.

Not taking into account the difference between Omega's 1164 and the Asian 7750, the chronographs on the reps function perfectly as expected, and the subdial secs @ 9 run just as smooth as the gen. Outwardly, the watch looks perfect, save for the issue of the link screws vs pins; the date font I can honestly give a care less about--easy fix.

I've also ordered a gen bezel insert--I have a feeling it should fit near-perfect without modding. The gen's lume was spot-on in brilliance & shade, between the markers, hands, and pearl. The rep's stock pearl (as per usual) is slightly weaker than the hands & markers, but the brilliance of the lume on both SMP reps is a LOT better than expected, straight from the box. There's only a very minor difference in the lume's brilliance between the markers & hands. And in complete darkness, the stock rep lume is still visible and easy to tell time on 4-5 hours after being exposed.

GEN:

285938-8538.jpg

285938-8539.jpg

REP

285938-8540.jpg

285938-8541.jpg

And in case there's anyone who didn't read my thread on this (rep) model's WP test, this model held solid at 10 ATMs in the lab, and has been to 100ft below multiple times. I'd wager to say that since the case's construction is damn near 1:1 spot on, this thing--if properly serviced--this thing might even keep up with the gen's depth. The rep's HEV even appears to have a fully functioning valve inside that you can depress & reset with a needle, but I've never swam in it unless the HEV valve was all the way out & cap screwed on tighter than Tom Thumb's ass. Also, the pushers on the rep cannot be used underwater like the gens can.

The PO Chrono is way off IMO because of the sub dial spacing. Get the SMP chrono, tis one of the best rep. It is also aesthecally pleasing because it is scary close to a genuine piece,,,that is if you are an Omega fan like me :victory:

The SMP chrono is truly sharp - don't flame me but I think the standard SMP is kind if boring.

I love chronographs and I think the chrono details on this SMP give it the extra "oomph" to make it a very interesting watch.

Also, I see a lot of the reg SMPs around town but I've never seen the chrono version.

Hmm, I may have to talk to Andrew about this.