When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pens in Pics

Victoria

Mont Blanc Pen  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Buy a Mont Blanc Sometime in Your Life?

• Yes
    • No
    • Probably get a rep pen, but not Mont Blanc
    • One word: Sharpie

The love of timepieces and writing instruments, or watches and pens as they are known to "just folks", seem often to go hand-in-hand, don't you find?

Well, I am no different. Since childhood, I have loved the look and feel, and especially the collecting of both items.

Maybe it's the mix of the modern and the old-fashioned in them that I love. Both represent a taste for labour intensive artisan handiwork (that painstaking crafting of often tiny pieces one unto the other), but with modernity knocking on the door, with its screws, and wheels a-turning, and stark metallic lines.

So, without further ado, my very small pen collection.

MONT BLANC MEISTERST

Very interesting - cheers! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I don't think the rep makers have cracked the black resin properly yet, most of the reps are poor.

On the gen front I find MB very podgy and fat, probably something to do with bigger ink reservoirs.

I like the Caran D'Ache though, I might get one of those (seem to be mostly mechanical pencils though).

Very interesting - cheers! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Yay! A quick reply, and a nice one too. Thanks, Cornerstone! :D

I don't think the rep makers have cracked the black resin properly yet, most of the reps are poor.

On the gen front I find MB very podgy and fat, probably something to do with bigger ink reservoirs.

The Waterman is my personal favourite, in gens. The nibs are pure magic, and can improve even a doctor's chicken scratch writing. Yes, the Mont Blancs do tend to write "large" but I personally like that. I'm not into fine nibs, at all.

Your point about the black resin is very true, as well. I recently saw a woman at an upscale bookshop here in Miami called Books-and-Books. She handed an author her obviously rep Mont Blanc Greta Garbo pen, with which to autograph the copy of his book. 10 people back from her, and even I could see that was no real Mont Blanc.

I like the Caran D'Ache though, I might get one of those (seem to be mostly mechanical pencils though).

If you let me know where I could find a Caran D'Ache rep, I'd hug you!

Yeah, I'd like to find reps of those too, but I guess gens will have to suffice in the meantime! :lol:

I'm a ballpoint heathen though :p

Tsk! And you a lover of the classic IWC, too! <_<

By the way, did I answer my own question about Caran D'Ache reps, in this site?? My Mandarin is a bit rusty.

http://www.pensite.net/fountain/caran/carantop.htm

(No offence to any Far East Asian member, but sometimes your websites are god-awful. WAAY too busy and colourful)

And this is the Caran D'Ache rep pen I'd give up my left boob for (very Scheherazade).

http://www.joonpens.com/Caran%20d'Ache...ition_pens.html

post-6973-1185518917_thumb.jpg

No, because it's in Japanese :p

AY! I feel like the White Lady in the Wayans Bros. "In Living Colour"!

They're gens:

Pensite translated

:)

Thanks, Cornerstone! :)

Gotta love Babelfished anything. Here's their Mont Blanc intro:

"Presently, the most prominent writing tool. 149 is not restricted to mere writing tool. Making agreeing or the hand where the elegant material is splendid it is proud it is and so on, in order to transcribe thought, or just the person who is used in order to record signature to be able take in, recognize the real value, the tasting which 149 is hard to forget."

Very hard to forget.

cool pics vbarrett.

Thanks cableguy!

My order showed up today but I wasnt home to get the package, so I'll be able to look at it when I get home from work. I will post pics of MY pen I got from paul. its the black rubberized? version of your MOP one.

I seriously doubt it, but then, I only have these two to go on. The "MOP" Boh

So far I have bought

- Georg Solti Special Edition red Rollerball

http://www.perfectclones88.com/mbp1007-don...all-p-1721.html

289081-6532.jpg

My impression:

It is close to the gen! Very heavy... Solid quality... good feel using it! Could not find gen refills fitting it yet... but it only tried one typ of them. Paint came off on one 1mm part... maybe I bashed it against something hard... I used it for month daily.

- Narikaas Pens:

These ones

Not good quality..nib did not write...and the black paint came off everywhere... half pen is knda yellow now lol

289081-6533.jpg

Not that god either... not heavy... did not screw out very good

289081-6534.jpg

This one is better... heavy...but the silver thing at the top spinns arund freely...also the white logo on the top is not good...dirty..

289081-6535.jpg289081-6536.jpg

289081-6537.jpg289081-6538.jpg

289081-6539.jpg289081-6540.jpg

289081-6541.jpg289081-6542.jpg

This pen from Trevor:

GREAT! GOOD logo on top... screws out good.... WOW! Best pen so far with Joshs...!

289081-6543.jpg

Some more pics... these pens came from Sash but I assume they are the same... (not my pics btw)

289081-6544.jpg

289081-6545.jpg

i Still want that pen ^ its hot.... basicly the same as i got but different design on the outside.... i wonder if the weight is comparable.... i dont think i have a scale thou.

can you tell me where to get that HOT looking pen holder??

here are the pics from paul's site this is the pen i recieved...it looks like the pics....the coating is indeed rubberized...very cool actually. there is a few spots very tiny where there are imperfections in the chrome but i can live with it....

289124-6515.jpg

289124-6516.jpg

289124-6517.jpg

289124-6518.jpg

Great review, vbarrett. I fully understand your fascination of writing instruments, it could easily become a new obsession (must resist, must resist... :bangin: ). I have only two fountain pens (gens), my old Mont Blanc....

289171-6498.jpg

and the rather high tech German Rotring....

289171-6499.jpg

It's heavy as hell, 50 g, has a very silky touch to it and great ergonomics. Use it a lot.

Cheers,

Volker

Superb review, V!

I too enjoy nice writing instruments.

The most dcent rep pens I've gotten from Narikaa & TTK, but the black lacquer (paint?) starts to come off almost immediately, anywhere there are screw threads on the pen, dead giveaway I'm afraid. Worst rep pen I got was from WBK (RWI) many imperfections and large flakes of black paint came off the pen, ick.

I have 2 pen cases from Narikaa which, after polishing up with leather conditioner, look terrific.

THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED, WOO!

Makes me happy and encourages me to do better in reviews, in future. Now, let me just reply to this member, since it's funny:

Mrs Vbarrett:

Miss Miss Miss! Plllllease. ;)

You like watches , pens .... now if you also like swords ... we welcome the first lady into a "100% males ony" club. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

(no ... I am not a macho man .... I help doing the cleaning , cooking etc.. :victory: .)

I LOL'ed on the phone with my boyfriend, when I read him this.

You know why? Because I LOVE SWORDS! I said in another thread that I collect militaria, and of course, I've mentioned a few times that I come from a military family on both sides -- so I have a lot of military items in my personal collection.

My pride and joy is my great-grandfather's Pour Le M

Sorry to be a total philistine, but this is my prefered writing implement of choice:

289725-6125.jpg

As an artist, I find that it is the most versatile pen available, giving the widest variation of quality and boldness of line. For any naysayers, I just found this pic online, done entirely in biro...

289725-6126.jpg

Now, there are indeed times when a really bold smooth black line is required, and in those circumstances, I tend to opt for these:

289725-6127.jpg

And, I am quite happy to also use marker pens like Sharpie and Berol (love those fumes :thumbsupsmileyanim: )

Other kinds of pens, I simply do not like. I find fountain pens and Parker rollerballs as too 'scratchy' on the paper, and hate the 'feedback' I get through the pen. I was bought a Rotring artist's pen while at college and never used it as it was too heavy...

I did this entirely with biro and markers for someone recently...

289725-6128.jpg

289725-6129.jpg

289725-6130.jpg

289725-6131.jpg

So chances of me buying any of the more 'sophisticate' writing instroments, are highly unlikely :1:

Hi V Barrett

I love fountain pens as well. I tried the rep game but was highly disappointed.

The reason why fountain pens are beautiful aside from the look is the way the pen glides on paper. This is primarily due to the NIB and compared to the rep MB that use a Iridium NIB, iits an absolute mess where it scratches and leaks. Imagine signing a very important contract with your rep pen and it ink splots over the contract...LOL.

More importantly, unlike the watches, the NIB is a dead giveaway, and so much easier to be called out on. This could be highly embarrassing since were not talking about a $20,000 Royal Oak, but a $200 fountain pen, which will really show your taste and knowledge.

I began with Watermans, and still have a few (Carene, and Edson). However, over time, I have found for the price of a decent Rep watch, you could own a very nice fountain pen or perhaps 2. This is a really important concept, a Rep Pen is much different than a Rep watch, since it contains a bomb of ink, and if it explodes / leaks, sure is going to ruin your Non-Rep Suit...

If I may be so bold, the Pelikan 400, 600 and 800 series are all phenomenal pens and competes right against the MBs of the world. IMHO, its a hands down vote, with a pitston filler instead of a converter, Pelikan is the pen of choice of the moment for many FIS (equivalent to our WIS) with the exception of the MB 149.

If you like heavier and bigger pens, review the 800 and 1000 series for Pelikans, otherwise sample a 400 or 600 which can compete against the MB 149.

FWIW, collecting fountain pens is one of those things that are highly addictive.

Fountain Pen Network

Pen Review Database

Edited by TimeBandit

289808-6087.jpg

I love this pen. I know it bears no relation to any current model, at least that I could find, although perhaps it's a Starwalker hommage -- but it's got a certain je ne sais quoi which I find appealing.

Actually, this is spot on to the Mont Blanc Nicolaus Copernicus--minus the nib & cap jewel:

http://www.montblanc.com/67.php

http://www.stylophilesonline.com/archive/jan03/05cop.htm

But to anyone who knows anything about Mont Blanc, don't carry it unless you look like you've got 2k to spend on a ltd pen. ;)

Actually, this is spot on to the Mont Blanc Nicolaus Copernicus--minus the nib & cap jewel:

http://www.montblanc.com/67.php

http://www.stylophilesonline.com/archive/jan03/05cop.htm

But to anyone who knows anything about Mont Blanc, don't carry it unless you look like you've got 2k to spend on a ltd pen. ;)

victoria where did u get this rep from? the one u called the fantasy model and one u said could pass as a gen? :) thanks

• 3 weeks later...

^ You can get them from the same collectors you get your watches from.

I also like pens. And knives/swords, guns.. mechanical alloy is where its at.

I have the Nic Copernicus fountain. Its ok. Definately not going to pass as a gen. I would like a basic roller ball as well.

301611-1915.jpg

301611-1916.jpg

301611-1917.jpg

301611-1918.jpg

Paul Chen PPK-

301611-1919.jpg

I have other stuff, but I don't want to stray off topic more then I already have.

victoria where did u get this rep from? the one u called the fantasy model and one u said could pass as a gen? :) thanks

OH ARMIN! I'm so sorry -- didn't see your reply until now.

I got it from Narikaa. Still works like a charm. :)

@P4GTR: WOW! Love your swords! I tried to take down my dad's regimental sword from the wall for the "What do you carry Daily?" thread, but thought it best not to mess with that...

Hmm...intriguing!

And, pray tell, if a collector would acquire such a pen, would it be a rollerball or fountain pen?

Also, hypothetically speaking of course how much would said pen cost?