When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Test: IWC Aquatimer Cousteau Divers Chronograph

293734-3505.jpg

Into the deep Blue Sea

Hommage to the spirit of Jaques-Yves Cousteau, the man in the red woollen cap, who opened the eyes of mankind not only to the magic of our oceans, but also to the threat faced by them.

The proximity to the ideas of the most famous Frenchman of modern times finds expression in a quite unusual way in the Aquatimer Special Edition: Every watch incorporates a small piece of the legendary Calypso, the first vessel from which Cousteau and his crew dived on the world

Edited by Seadweller4000

First of all, thanks for the awesome review!!

I have a question:

You mentioned you took it to a watchmaker to get it checked out, etc...

And I noticed that you said that it arrived clean and oiled. Was this something you had confirmed? I ask, because if the rep factories are doing a better job of sending the watches out with oiled/clean movements, I might wait a while before sending 'er off to The Zigmeister for a service.

The Zigmeister had mentioned that most of the asian 7750's he gets in are not clean or oiled very well....and since we've been hearing less complaints about the A7750's, I wondered if maybe they're doing a better job of getting it right from the beginning...

First of all, thank you all for your kind words!

The waterproofness was tested by a Bergeon pressuretester, it only tests if the watch can stand 30 seconds in a pressure of 50m. It did not fail, so I feel pretty safe taking it into the water - I would not snorkel with it however.

This does not mean every CD replica is waterproof. Please make a test with your own watch before swimming...

First of all, thanks for the awesome review!!

I have a question:

You mentioned you took it to a watchmaker to get it checked out, etc...

And I noticed that you said that it arrived clean and oiled. Was this something you had confirmed? I ask, because if the rep factories are doing a better job of sending the watches out with oiled/clean movements, I might wait a while before sending 'er off to The Zigmeister for a service.

The Zigmeister had mentioned that most of the asian 7750's he gets in are not clean or oiled very well....and since we've been hearing less complaints about the A7750's, I wondered if maybe they're doing a better job of getting it right from the beginning...

Again, I can only make a statement for the watch I received. We wondered about the good condition of the movement, it was really good. Again, I do not know if I just got lucky or if the quality standart of all asian movements has gotten better...

This was absolutely brilliant review, once again. Thanks man.

PS: I saved this until I had enough time to relax with it (and a cup of coffee). It didn't disappoint. :) Keep doing these... much appreciated.

Edited by By-Tor

Just received the watch.....

Very impressed with it. The 'super-reps' are truly a step above. I've had most of the good reps that pre-dated the super-reps, and they're not in the same league. The folks that have mentioned the SFSO as the best reps ever...I have to wonder whether they've had this watch and the HBB. I'm going to be getting the Steelfish soon, so I'll be able to say for myself, but it's hard to imagine it eclipsing this watch.

If I had to buy one watch, or *keep* only one watch, this one would probably be it. I'm excited to get the Steelfish only because it has got to be killer if it's regarded as being in the same league as the Cousteau.

It makes me wonder what type of margin the factory gets on these. I'm sure they get an incredible profit, but I have no problems imagining that the cost going into development as well as the production costs themselves would be significantly higher than with other reps.

seadweller, you're right about the combo- hopefully in the next week I'll have both watches.

Something I've noticed about the Cousteau, is that it looks way better in real life than it does in pictures. I think it might be my favourite rep. Hard to say, because I just got it and the novelty is fresh, but it seems to me to the best of a few different worlds. The HBB is dramatic and my 'style' of watch...but it's comfort level isn't the best. It is less conventional as well, which is both good and bad.

The dial of the Cousteau seems to get washed out in pictures...but it's a really crisp blue with a lot of natural shine- but then when you add the really spectacular AR, the combination of the light hitting the shiny blue surface while the AR prevents the reflection from causing glare on the crystal is really something else considering the sheer size of the crystal. Really cool....

The story behind the Cousteau is great, which I think adds to it's allure. The watch is large and round (obviously), but with the way the rubber strap tapers into the case, it streamlines the watch as it sits on the wrist- and smaller wristed folk like myself can pull it off. It's an interesting blend of classic styling and modern touches that combine to make it a really understated, but solid presence on the wrist.

Edited by mezzanine

seadweller, you're right about the combo- hopefully in the next week I'll have both watches.

Something I've noticed about the Cousteau, is that it looks way better in real life than it does in pictures. I think it might be my favourite rep. Hard to say, because I just got it and the novelty is fresh, but it seems to me to the best of a few different worlds. The HBB is dramatic and my 'style' of watch...but it's comfort level isn't the best. It is less conventional as well, which is both good and bad.

The dial of the Cousteau seems to get washed out in pictures...but it's a really crisp blue with a lot of natural shine- but then when you add the really spectacular AR, the combination of the light hitting the shiny blue surface while the AR prevents the reflection from causing glare on the crystal is really something else considering the sheer size of the crystal. Really cool....

The story behind the Cousteau is great, which I think adds to it's allure. The watch is large and round (obviously), but with the way the rubber strap tapers into the case, it streamlines the watch as it sits on the wrist- and smaller wristed folk like myself can pull it off. It's an interesting blend of classic styling and modern touches that combine to make it a really understated, but solid presence on the wrist.

I have heard several times about the "uncomfortable" HBB's clasp, that's why I never bought it. Even though I like the design of the black magic a lot.

The rest of your observation is quite correct, very nice said. I still hope my pictures can give an idea of how the watch appears in person. It took me indeed some tries... :lol:

ditto .. thank you...... I was going to order the Ingenuier... but now ... and i inquired about the 2007 cousteau ... should be out in september, they have the gen to copy from... price surprisingly I am told will be the same as the current model.. they are just makng sure the orange colour and the bezel inlay is dead on...