When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Edge's Guide To Watches

Edge

Tutorial:

How to completely disassemble your watch.

First off, this is not a patronisation excercise this is to try and help educate the plethora of begginers that we have. Lots of people ask how to do [censored] bits and that's great that is why we are here to help.

But I think that the really basic stuff is covered here, so if you want to open the case and check out the movement or anything like that just check this thread out and it'll be all good. This is a step by step tutorial on how to completely take your watch apart. The test subject watch was the POS SD that you saw in one of my earlier threads, which was bought for this exact purpose, testing and practicing.

Howeve I will not be held responsible for anyone screwing up their watch lol, but if you do follow this it's REALLY EASY.

I have done this with almost no tools, a very small amount are required.

HERE WE GO:

First off a quick shot of the case of the watch, with the bracelet already removed, please note that some vintagising was attempted on the dial prior to this hence some smal scratches and also the tea colour:

42016-37947.jpg

Then in order to remove the caseback, take your caseback remover, or rubber gloves/duck tape, whatever you use and twist, COUNTER clockwise:

42016-37948.jpg

Hey Presto one removed caseback:

42016-37949.jpg

Next it's time to remove the crown/stem, this is done by pressing gently on the release, and then again GENTLY pulling out the crown. The release for this asian POS is very small and the release is a different shape from ETA models but general idea is the same.

42016-37950.jpg

42016-37951.jpg

Please take time to notice that this is a POS movement and an ETA would have movement clamp screws instead of this plastic thing. The ETA is easily removed by unscrewing the clamps with a 1.2mm screwdriver, whereas this POS just pops out lol.

Next we have to remove the hands. Take a hand remover or a set of tweezers, set the time to 12 so as to keep the date chage in the correct position, and gently pull, they come off reasonably easily.

42016-37952.jpg

The Dial can be removed from the movement by gently prying the razor blade between the parts, as there is a little glue on it. On ETA models there are no feet so the dial is glued on, a little prying with a blade and it comes off easily. On the Asian efforts there are dial feet that need to be loosened out of place, but that is OVER SIMPLE, it's just a screwdriver and unscrewing the small screws that clamp them in place.

42016-37953.jpg

Next it is the turn of the bezel assembley. This can be done at any point but I chose now lol. Slip a razor blade between the case and assembley and simply push down. Off it pops.

42016-37954.jpg

I have taken out the bezel spring and also the O ring but that's immaterial.

Next a VERY techincal point, please note this is not for the handless........remove the crystal, on all non MBW vintage models the trick is to...........

42016-37955.jpg

push it with your thumb lol, told you it was technical.

42016-37956.jpg

And there you have it a completely dissassembled watch. I have added a couple of pics of all of the parts and also all of the parts and ALL of the tools used.

42016-37957.jpg

42016-37958.jpg

I hope you found this helpfull if not then F*** Y**. It's dead easy just try it honest, if I can do it anyone can. It's a stepping stone in growing the confidence you need to mod your own watch, which believe me is SOOO satisfying, it's a great feeling to know that you have successfully fixe your own watch and not had to send it off to be done.

At the end of the day, it's nice to experiment but please be carefull these things are delicate, and PATIENCE is KEY. Don't rush things or you will ruin what was a nice piece lol.

Enjoy!

Chris

• Like 2

Great guide.

Btw, I have no problem disassembling. I just wonder what is the best way to install the hands back? I tried this.

but it scratches the hands a little bit. I am not very happy with the result.

I use a set of tweezers and A LOT of patience, it takes awhile but I get there in the end lol. It can be VERY frustrating. I would love for soemone to enlighten me as to a better method also lol.

Chris

Chris, Thanks for the post. I have been wanting to take apart one of my babies for awhile now and I just might be able to attack it...thanks to your help.

cheers

This is great stuff. Thanks. I just received a few more tools, and I have a couple of dead or "very cheap" reps that I can play with. Unfortunately my eyesight is not that great, so I have problems with really small parts, so I don't think I will be advancing to anything much beyond the basics -- but I do see well enough to play with "[censored] bits."

Yeah I like it..........in fact I like it so much I think I'm going to have to pin it. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ken

Much appreciated Ken, Nice to be recognised lol. I believe that makes me 2 for 2 on the pinned tutorial front.......WOOHOO!..... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks Again

Hope you guys find this useful and who knows I may even write a "Now I have a load of bit's, How the hell do I put them back together?" Tutorial lol. :bleh:

Chris

Hope you guys find this useful and who knows I may even write a "Now I have a load of bit's, How the hell do I put them back together?" Tutorial lol.

Yeah well if you do I will stick it on to the end of this one so we will all know how to put the bloody thing back together :lol:

Ken

:bleh:

The annoying thing was that the watch was in bits for soem other stuff I was doing, I put it back together so that I could write this tutorial and never thought to write the other one while I was putting it together. Would have been weird writing the "Putting Humpty Back Together Again" Tutorial before I have even taken humpty apart, officially lol.

Chris

Guest Watchandpen
:bleh:

The annoying thing was that the watch was in bits for soem other stuff I was doing, I put it back together so that I could write this tutorial and never thought to write the other one while I was putting it together. Would have been weird writing the "Putting Humpty Back Together Again" Tutorial before I have even taken humpty apart, officially lol.

Chris

Definitely looking forward to instalment II: "Putting Humpty Back Together Again". If it's as good as the first, it will be fab! Thanks again. I shall try that with a cheap Asian YM I got a year back. As it's not working, it'll be ok if I can't put it back. Cheers. :bounce: