When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Edge's Guide To Watches

Edge

Then in order to remove the caseback, take your caseback remover, or rubber gloves/duck tape, whatever you use and twist, COUNTER clockwise:

OH!!! you said DUCK tape! Watch out for the little brick coming around the corner and bitchslapping you!

:)

btt: great tutorial!

Edited by slay

Hi all!

I have an ETA movement sub, and following this guide, I have opended the watch, but I do not know how to quit the crown. I do not find any screw to do ot.

Any help?¿?¿

Thank u ;-)

Tas

The pin that you need to press down I have circled in the pic you sent. It's not a great pic but I know where it is so just trust me lol.

The bit you need to press down with a 1.2mm screwdriver is circled.

Enjoy!

post-234-1149089285_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Why Thank you, Bloody Yanks changin OUR language again eh? jees oh!

Well my man... we did win that little war we had a few years ago. I think we have the right to throw tea into boston harbor and also to change the Queens English a little bit. Of course you know i'm kidding. I also know you Brits got your revenge by sending the Spice Girls our way a few years back... Psychological Warfare... unfair. :Jumpy:

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello to all.

What an awesome writeup! I wish I would have had this info years ago!

I use brass rods acquired in Home Depot, about 3mm thick, cut to the appropriate length, shaped and bent so as to pry the hands off in the manner of de Carle. Two are required, of course, and I would strongly suggest protecting the dial with a piece of plastic (Bergeon #6938) as it should never be touched. I use a Horotec tool to replace the hands which is simply a plastic nib on one side that resembles a ball point pen without the ball point, and a flat surface on the other side of the tool. To handle the hands, I use a fine plastic tweezer that I remember acquiring off of Ebay. I had to switch from metal tweezers as my coffee drinking causes me to shake too much and I have nicked a few dials and the plastic tweezers are much less prone to damaging the hands. I try to temper my shake with some Johnny Walker Black and that seems to help too.

You guys have inspired me to mod a rep sub. When I'm done, I'll post some pics.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Great!

I got my watch into pieces, but can't seem to get it into one piece again...

Not that dramatical, but I can't get the crown back into the movement.

My guess was that it's like pulling it out, except in reverse?

Push the release"button" down, and insert crown. It just won't go in there!

Am I doing it wrong?

I hate this movement... (belongs in my adorable omega GMT) It's caused me nothing but trouble.

I got it running without stopping for a couple of weeks I think, but other than that, it just dies. Usually it starts again when I pull out the crown to adjust the time...

Edited by space

• 1 month later...

Thanks Edge. I just took a fairly buggered Daytona apart, fixed it and replaced all the bits, thanks to you. It is even running. It may not now gain two minutes a week, but that would be too much to hope for.

Cheers. I take my hat off to you.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hoping you can help me out with the issue that I am having with my DSSD rep.....I need to remove the bezel that is on it now, and put my other bezel from another DSSD rep on it since the Pearl has fallen out, and the other one looks better, but I have tried to insert the razor blade as instructed, and pop it off but it will not come off. I keep breaking the blades. Is there some trick or a different way to remove the bezel maybe ?? thank you in advance for any help you might provide.

Chilly.....

• 2 months later...

This is great. I had a marker fall off on an old sub and sold it to a member on here because I couldn't fix it, I can't remember the buyer.

Fast forward to now and I have another sub and the 12:00 marker came off. I now feel I can fix it. Saying that what should I glue it with? Also should I lubricate the movement at all?

I searched the forum and couldn't find the answers. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I just completed my first repaire!! First I practiced on an old sub rep and followed your instructions. I took the watch to pieces and put it back together, those bloody hands are tricky tho!. I then carefully dismantled my rep Daytona and reattached on of the chrono hands that had fallen off – put it all back together and works fine. Thanks for a great tutorial that saved me a few bob at the watch repairer!

• 10 months later...