When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ferrari 002: Engineerd by Officine Panerai

Stephane

Dear All,

Here is a pictorial (not a review) from the Panerai Ferrari 002 that is way overdue.

I ordered it from TTK on the last day of march 2007.

The deal was nice, as usual, no comments needed here :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Why did I wait so long to post some pics?

My theory is that I got this one because of:

- The hype

- TTK's incredible pictures showing a SUPER Rep so close to the real thing (and it is)

- The Ferrari symbol

- The beautiful design of the watch

:blink:

Although I do wear it, I can't seem to get exited about that watch.

I have no idea why.

It is one the best build and closest to the genuine rep I have in my current collection though.

I'm not disappointed at all.

It's a mystery to me, I'm simply not exited...but would not get rid of it of course.

:bangin:

The watch

As mentioned, the deal was smooth and I got what was agreed for.

In the package I found both the leather and the rubber strap on deploying buckle.

They both looks beautiful and well finished.

Of course the leather one doesn't look anywhere close to a Ferrari 355 custom made by V

V's incredible strap

Changing the strap is very easy by the way, for a change ;)

It's an Asian 28k which is beating in this watch.

No issues at all, it keeps great time.

Something different though: when setting up the time and date I have a "solid" feeling.

The crown is smooth and doesn't feel loose or like it is going to fell off.

The date has no issue either (with super macro shots, maybe, but not with a normal human eye).

I cannot say anything wrong about it basically, so why not post picture only for once?

:D

Cheers & Thanks for reading.

Stephane

The pictures

Please do not reply quoting the pictures as there are quite a lot and it would mess the speed of the thread and the entire forum. Thank you very much.

PanraiFer002_800_01.jpg

PanraiFer002_800_02.jpg

PanraiFer002_800_16.jpg

PanraiFer002_800_17.jpg

PanraiFer002_800_11.jpg

PanraiFer002_800_14.jpg

PanraiFer002_800_13.jpg

PanraiFer002_800_12.jpg

PanraiFer002_800_19.jpg

PanraiFer002_800_18.jpg

PanraiFer002_800_20.jpg

PanraiFer002_800_07.jpg

PanraiFer002_800_08.jpg

PanraiFer002_800_09.jpg

PanraiFer002_800_06.jpg

PanraiFer002_800_04.jpg

PanraiFer002_800_03.jpg

PanraiFer002_800_23.jpg

PanraiFer002_800_21.jpg

I am like you but I did not buy the watch. TTK's pics were perfect and the description of the quality was difficult to set aside but in the end, it just did not do it for me so I did not get it. Maybe a member purchase at a reduced price some day but not right now.

Usil

Nice watch and nice pics ! I have been wondering often if I would buy it, as it looks perfect for the price.

Which prevents me do do so is its size, which is a bit over my limit (45 mm), and its almost square shape which probably makes it look even bigger.

Thanks guys for your nice comments.

It seem we share the same kind of "Should I or Should I not" :doh:

As a matter of fact, Pix, it's big but ok.

Compared to the SFSO e.g. it's quite the same feeling.

Suprisingly, the squarish shape doesn't make it bigger.

Cheers

Stephane

I have the 008 and 011, and to me they are much closer to "fashion" watches, and even though they are well done and well built, they simply do not exude class and exclusivity the way a standard PAM does.

Very good point Sub0.

That is why I called it Ferrari 002...

I agree with you.

Pam are something else, for sure.

My brother in law owns a Ferrari by Cartier...which I think is the worst combo.

At least, with the Fer/Pam it looks like an Italian piece :thumbsupsmileyanim:

This Watch carries so many details of the car, or should I say flavour of the car.

I'm sure if you climbed into a Ferrari you would see the same details from which the Designers drew their inspiration.

Can't explain why but Italian design just speaks to me.

Does anyone know whether the PAM's today are designed in Italy and manufactured in Switzerland or all in Italy?

Really thanks, Stephane, for this great review and gorgeous pics!

But especially thanks for sincerely sharing with us your feelings about this watch. :clap:

I too have similar feelings on the Ferraris... I know they are exceptionally good reps, possibly the best out-of-the-box Panerai (at least the less complicated models)... still I seem unable to fall in love with them.

And the opinions of several members here look the same as well.

I wondered what is the reason for that.

In the end I concluded that, in my personal feeling, I do not feel them as 'true' PAMs.

Then I asked myself why.

My final, personal, and provisional hypothesis is the following:

In spite of their growing popularity and success, what is most appealing on PAMs is their exclusiveness. Outside of the watch lovers environment, they are almost unknown. They may even need some time to get accustomed with their unique style and feeling (it is common here to read something like: 'Hey, I used to hate PAMs, now I feel them growing in me').

In the end, their major appeal was that they were an 'aficionado' thing, a connoisseur thing.

Now, mixing them up with an universally known icona, a definitely popular symbol like the Ferrari logo, well... this is a complete target changing.

The fact that a Ferrary car costs millions does not relieve it, it actually worsens it. Exclusiveness is a matter of taste and style, not a matter of money (we rep lovers may actually have something to tell about it :lol: ).

I read that Panerai ADs still have so many Ferrari models to sell, while more classic models are sold out, or one has to book for them.

To me, this is a sign that the whole Ferrari project resulted in a (partial?) flop. A poorly designed market operation, lacking of any serious insights about the PAM buyer psychology.

Or maybe I am just too self-conceited and they just wanted to intentionally and plainly change their target buyer. The most recent, overcomplicated models, might support this view as well.

Or OP simply had to design such overcomplicated models to fight the advance of reps. ;)

Surely I have no need to say this, but please feel free to confute if you want to. It was for the sake of discussion, I am very interested on any different points of view.

Does anyone know whether the PAM's today are designed in Italy and manufactured in Switzerland or all in Italy?

As far as I know, several top members of the Panerai branch of the Richemont-Vendome house are Italians, and here is the only residual link of PAMs with Italy (apart from the Florence selling shop, naturally).