When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of Tag Heuer Aquaracer Day-Date Chronograph 7750

By-Tor

Thanks once again to By-Tor for letting us re post another great review!

MEdoYOU.jpg

The whole and complete name of this watch model is TAG Aquaracer Chronograph Calibre 16 Day-Date. It's not really a new watch, but more like a "facelift reissue" of the old Aquaracer date (that's shown in the title picture). The size has enlarged from 41mm to 43mm, and this new model got an antireflective coating and day function.

Personally, I like the trendier bigger size, but it's not necessarily a welcomed change for small wristed men. However the watch wears considerably smaller than say, "UPO" or even the Link Chronograph. 

Unlike Rolex, Breitling and Omega, it's quite difficult to find any history or background of the TAG models. I tried to do some research of the Aquaracer Chronograph, and besides the typical marketing nonsense I found very little actual information. For example I'm not 100% sure if the older Aquagraph Chrono was a predecessor of this model or not. That would be logical, since TAG doesn't produce it anymore. Technically Aquaracer Chronograph is different, because instead of Tricompax and complications it uses the simple 12-9-6 ETA Valjoux 7750 layout, which is ideal for us (and the replica factories). That always means perfect subdial spacing.  

tZ2KguF.jpg

The good news is that this particular rep model has been produced in the same factory as TAG Link Chronograph Automatic and the TAG Carrera. We all know how well those two watches were replicated. 

MY LINK CHRONOGRAPH REVIEW became one of my most popular writeups, and against the beliefs of many, the replica turned out to be a huge success. It was holding top postion in the "bestsellers" chart in many of our community dealers' websites, even (temporarily) beating such mainstream watches as Submariner and Planet Ocean in popularity.

So... is the new Aquaracer as good as the Link Chronograph?

Well, I just got the watch and well know how difficult it is to remain objective when you have just received a new hot item. And we often find the miniscule flaws only 2-3 weeks after the initial release. But I guess it's safe to say it is

Docblackrock was the first one to receive this replica model, and his initial expression was excellent as well. 

The bezel has 6 "studs" between the minute markers. According to TAG they're installed for "best diving-glove grip". Actually, this kind of bezel is not unique design on diver watches at all, the Steelfish SuperOcean bezel, for example, uses similar "studs" (as TAG calls them). Pearl is very unusual, because it's located below the bezel surface. Usually the pearl is the weakest link on all replicas, but the factory simply couldn't screw up such simplistic design.

The worst part about the replica is the day/date alignment. The day/date combo is always more or less crooked on the 7750-based reps. The funny thing is, when we were "previewing" this watch with the fellow members (using dealers' pictures as reference), we saw lots of shots of the genuine article, where the day/datewheels were just as misaligned. Personally, it's not a big issue for me and I'm probably not going to do anything about it. To be honest, it's much better than I excepted.

But there's a solution for people who always seek for better. Pugwash posted a tutorial how to swap the datewheels for the Asian 7750. 

Otherwise, it's hard to find any faults from the dial. No crooked markers, even in huge zoomed pictures. The antireflective coating is one-sided but very effective. Unlike the Link Chronograph the dial isn't very reflective at all.  just as good.          

4d3ec4Z.jpg

Lume is excellent and very smoothly applied onto the markers and hands. Quality.

ngpn6lY.jpg

Caseback has correct engravings and serial numbers. Important for those who care.

NEBqyIE.jpg

The bracelet is a Rolex Oyster type sports bracelet with polished middle links. The polished links will probably collect scratches very easily. 

The bracelet uses the always annoying push-pins for resizing. With all links intact the band has enough length for Godzilla. This was the first time ever I had to remove 2 whole links to get perfect fit for my large wrist.

The push-button clasp has a short diver's extension, which is deployed in the picture.

izhXDHI.jpg

How about the watch itself? What make a standard, lowly 7750 TAG so desirable?

These are always taste things, and like the old and stupid cliché says: one man's roof is another man's ceiling. I simply love the looks of this watch. Veteran members know that I've been awaiting this replication for years. TAG Aquaracer Automatic Chronograph is an excellent combination of elegance and sporty ruggedness. 

For me the blue dial was the only option. The amazing official photograph from the TAG Heuer site (used in my title picture) definitely wasn't the smallest factor behind my decision. 

If you compare the design to the Link chrono, this watch lacks all most of the TAG characteristics and originality. Unlike the Link this isn't a watch that you can immediately recognize as a TAG. Actually, it looks like any other sports chronograph, the design is very conservative. 

But so what... it's just so amazingly cool looking watch.    

2vceMsS.jpg

The movement is the standard, new Asian 7750 Valjoux. It has a bit shaky reputation, but to be fair most of that bad rap comes from the old, low beat version. We don't see many bad reports of the new Asian, really. I've owned many chronograph watches with this movement, and my oldest two are about 12 months old now. Both work, keep time and reset flawlessly. The movement itself hasn't been in the market much longer than that, but like I said: we don't see many complaints.

Movement picture courtesy of Ziggyzumba.

fkCO0zA.jpg

If you're new to automatic chronograph watches, please do yourself (and the community) a favor and read Ziggyzumba's "Watch basics" and tutorials from his forum. That section answers pretty much all your replica movement questions, including the questions regarding a movement swap to Swiss ETA Valjoux. The automatic chronograph is not a toy, don't treat it like a joystick or gamepad. And once again: to avoid possible problems in the future, please educate yourself about the movement before you start using your watch.

Does almost $300 TAG replica make sense?

Besides their top model, El Primero-powered Link Chronograph Calibre 36, TAG doesn't produce any "high horology" watches. Most of their sales come from the quartz models. They produce fashionable and trendy watches with some prestige. 

The pre-owned genuine Aquaracer chronos (the old date versions) can be obtained for around $1K. But same can be said about many Breitling and Omega models, or even basic Rolex models like Air-King and Precision. $300 is an absolute limit for a rep like this, imho. To be fair, the new day/date gen Aquaracer price is pushing $2K in the AD's. The build quality of the rep is excellent, and I have decided to trust the new Asian 7750. I can only hope that it will give me years of use (before I need Ziggy's services).

World could probably survive without high-end watches and their replications, but it would survive even better without humans. Does everything always have to make sense? For me, this watch is worth the price.

I'm extremely satisfied with this replication, and it's safe to say it exceeded all my exceptations. Special thanks to our UK-based star dealer ***Precious Time*** for the watch (once again). He QC'd it for me (as usual), which delayed this review for a few days. 

The race is on!       

8Q9nxPf.jpg

<div align='left'>Posted by TB99 on behalf of By-Tor

</div>

• Like 1

Amazing post, just when I think you have set the bar just out of my reach, you move it up again with an amazing post.

Thanks for the info, and for taking the time to do this up, very well done.

That is what sets this site apart from Time Zone, I have never seen anything there anywhere close to this...

Great job.

RG

Great review as always, this was the watch I was planning on getting for about 2 years as a gen before I found the rep forums, as a result still have not got one...but as for the cost based on the gen, not sure if it is worth it for me.

Amazing post, just when I think you have set the bar just out of my reach, you move it up again with an amazing post.

Thanks for the info, and for taking the time to do this up, very well done.

That is what sets this site apart from Time Zone, I have never seen anything there anywhere close to this...

Great job.

RG

Second that. Your work is really appreciated!

:1a:

Thanks all. I updated the wrist shot with a better one. Refresh the page.

Actually I have plenty of wrist shots... I just have to crop them. Will post later, I'm gonna hit the gym now. :)

@Rolexman: Are the black letters wrong on the rep... or what "black paint" you mean?

Here's some more wristshots that I took when I received the watch. Straight out of the camera, just crop and autolevels.

300590-2614.jpg300590-2615.jpg300590-2616.jpg300590-2617.jpg

300590-2618.jpg300590-2619.jpg300590-2620.jpg

300590-2621.jpg300590-2622.jpg300590-2623.jpg

Interesting that none of the dealers list this watch as AR coated, but just like Docblackrock stated in his review I'm quite sure there's some kind of light inside coating on the crystal. The dial doesn't reflect much at all. But it's definitely not very apparent.

The master at work. Another great review, and one that will become a new standard, as have your past reviews.

Is it me or is your photographic lighting getting even better? The brushed metal surfaces are coming out perfectly now.

You've been harping on about this watch since I've known you. I suspect it'll take some effort to get it off your wrist.

Thanks Puggy... appreciated mate. I might even send this watch to you for a Swiss Valjoux exchange (eventually). I'm confident that I'll keep this watch for good, it's absolutely amazing looker. The pics don't even do it justice... I love the polished/brushed bracelet combo on this watch... outstanding.

Yes I have found perfect lighting setup now (I think). But I'm always trying to get better. :)

Edited by By-Tor

Thanks Puggy... appreciated mate. I might even send this watch to you for a Swiss Valjoux exchange (eventually).

Once you feel you can do without it for a few days. ;)

You getting this is hopefully like me getting the Aquatimer. Looks like a good summer for reps.

As usual a very nice review/writeup !!But IMHO the watch is nothing compared to our loved Link Crono
Well yeah, this model is more conservative and not so unique. Impossible to argue about personal tastes, but I've always considered this the nicest looking chronograph watch ever made. Impossible to say what's so appealing about it... it's just my style I guess.I love my Link chrono though.
Stop with all those pictures Bytor.. you are torturing me !
Sorry man.Did you order it already? :lol:@Rolexman: Now I see what you mean. Doesn't bother me though.

Sorry man.Did you order it already? :lol:

Budget (aka girlfriend) allow me only a watch a year and I just ordered a TT Navitimer.. But trust me, I will get this one this fall :D

Quick question: Is the caseback engraved + painted or just painted ? If it's just painted, it will be blank in few weeks. (My Broad Arrow have this problem, even if it's engraved + painted)

Edited by vric

Budget (aka girlfriend) allow me only a watch a year and I just ordered a TT Navitimer.. But trust me, I will get this one this fall :D

Quick question: Is the caseback engraved + painted or just painted ? If it's just painted, it will be blank in few weeks. (My Broad Arrow have this problem, even if it's engraved + painted)

It's engraved and painted.

As for your "budget", maybe you should practice some subterfuge ("oh I traded that one for this one, honest") or even better, apply the gift for you means gift for her principle. Works for me :tu: